Titlist, Hoppe Pro or blank?

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I am gathering up some ideas on a cue build and need advice.
I want a cue maker to build me a old school style playing cue. I really love the old titlist and Hoppe Pro cues.
My delema is...
Do I buy and use an old Titlist or Hoppe Pro, for the nostalgic effect?
Or
Do I start with a custom blank, such as a John Davis?

Another question, and I apologize if this is heiracy...

Would a cue maker build an exact replica of the Color of Money (Joss) cue?

Thanks and please don't flame me for the last question...

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Personally, I'd start with a new blank. This way the builder has a fresh blank to work with and can be in control of everything from the get go. Trying to find an old cue to convert isn't as easy as you may think. It has to be a good blank, where most of them aren't. It has to be thick, where most of them aren't. It must be straight. And it must have points that are very close to even, where many are not.

If you begin with a new blank then you know it was put together with quality adhesives, will have bright veneers, and it can be made with whatever woods you want. Lots of reasons to use a fresh blank, and not really any great reasons to use an old one. JMO

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I'd start with a new blank. This way the builder has a fresh blank to work with and can be in control of everything from the get go. Trying to find an old cue to convert isn't as easy as you may think. It has to be a good blank, where most of them aren't. It has to be thick, where most of them aren't. It must be straight. And it must have points that are very close to even, where many are not.

If you begin with a new blank then you know it was put together with quality adhesives, will have bright veneers, and it can be made with whatever woods you want. Lots of reasons to use a fresh blank, and not really any great reasons to use an old one. JMO
I agree, They often are not that good. The points often come out short and colors very dull.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why people pay so much for the old house cues to make conversions. You are going to have a better cue IMO if you have it built from scratch.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am gathering up some ideas on a cue build and need advice.
I want a cue maker to build me a old school style playing cue. I really love the old titlist and Hoppe Pro cues.
My delema is...
Do I buy and use an old Titlist or Hoppe Pro, for the nostalgic effect?
Or
Do I start with a custom blank, such as a John Davis?

Another question, and I apologize if this is heiracy...

Would a cue maker build an exact replica of the Color of Money (Joss) cue?

Thanks and please don't flame me for the last question...

Yes. I think there is a cuemaker that would build an exact replica of the Color of Money cue and that is JOSS. Not flaming. Just telling you who could and should be left to do it.