Minimum $130,000 US action... And it's serious!

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese 8-ball is a bit of a niche game...not widely played.
....one-pocket falls into that same category.

so how about a match 'game-apiece'.....Alex might find the time for that.

His proposition includes 9b and 10b as well ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
His proposition includes 9b and 10b as well ;)

A little misrepresentation here.....
...or are you forgetting about the Chinese table with snooker rails?

Would he play nine and ten ball on a pool table?

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, Daz is the only player out of the mainstream names (chinese players not included) with skills needed to beat Gareth in longer set on chinese pool table. Also I think it is worth mentioning that Gareth is one of the fittest players alive so the race to 100 would be advantage to him. Yes, I am aware how great player Alex is, he can adapt quite well but just adapting is simply not enough against Gareth, not in the long set. So my opinion is that any other player than Daz would stand Snowballs chance in hell facing Gareth in race to 100 on chinese pool table.

agree, Melling or even Mick Hill might also be in a similar league. Forget about USA bred players, the game is too similar to UK 8-ball and snooker in terms of the table conditions. However, Alex as a Canadian :) would be most likely the best bet outside of the UK players as he has a good snooker background and is an excellent cueist in all other respects. BUT SURELY the amount of millionaires in China they can back a top Chinese player against him.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little misrepresentation here.....
...or are you forgetting about the Chinese table with snooker rails?

Would he play nine and ten ball on a pool table?

You mentioned chinese 8ball, not the table itself, I just like to play with the words :D And no, his proposition is aimed at playing chinese pool table ;)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese 8-ball is a bit of a niche game...not widely played.
....one-pocket falls into that same category.

so how about a match 'game-apiece'.....Alex might find the time for that.

If he agrees to Alex's one pocket match, then it could possibly happen.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
It's not a prop bet and there is no catch ,

Sure it is. Ask Gareth Potts if he'll take that action on 9 or 10 ball on a pool table, he won't. The prop is the Chinese table with snooker rails & pockets, hence the catch. View it any way you like

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure it is. Ask Gareth Potts if he'll take that action on 9 or 10 ball on a pool table, he won't. The prop is the Chinese table with snooker rails & pockets, hence the catch. View it any way you like

Gareth is putting the offer out on the table he is accustomed to playing on. He does not play on Diamond or Gold Crown 9 footers. There are lots of players who play on those Joy tables in other countries. Americans just aren't in that category. It seems like Americans think that the rest of the world should do everything the way we do.

That table is the standard where he plays. It isn't some gaffe table like a gold crown with 3.75" pockets.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we talk it up,then PPV stream,then they play and chop whatever small figure they really play for.I think I have seen this before.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A stupid challenge when the US boys arent as accustomed to playing on the Chinese 8b table.

How about I take Shane for 20K and give him 10 games on the wire, race to 100, winner breaks on a Diamond. 9b/10b, his pick.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A stupid challenge when the US boys arent as accustomed to playing on the Chinese 8b table.

How about I take Shane for 20K and give him 10 games on the wire, race to 100, winner breaks on a Diamond. 9b/10b, his pick.

Why would you assume Gareth Potts, a Brit, living in China (well maybe not living, but spending a lot of time there) is posting on his personal Facebook page for the benefit of US players only?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you assume Gareth Potts, a Brit, living in China (well maybe not living, but spending a lot of time there) is posting on his personal Facebook page for the benefit of US players only?

Exactly. As usual , some needlessly getting butthurt over challenge by a Brit
And it is not even Mosconi Cup fever yet :D

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gareth is putting the offer out on the table he is accustomed to playing on. He does not play on Diamond or Gold Crown 9 footers. There are lots of players who play on those Joy tables in other countries. Americans just aren't in that category. It seems like Americans think that the rest of the world should do everything the way we do.

That table is the standard where he plays. It isn't some gaffe table like a gold crown with 3.75" pockets.

Not to mention the game (the table itself) is extremely limited in options available to the shooter when compared to pool - therefore limited offense.
In my opinion, pool is a sport that is already suffering from an excitement factor deficiency (network ratings prove this), and playing on a table that has limited offensive conditions won't solve that at all.

I'm sure Gareth and backers are excited but as a spectator, I am not.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member

That's a bit like saying if SVB had thrown this challenge out then it's a stupid challenge as most Brits don't play 9 ball on 9ft tables but he can come over here and play Ronnie at snooker a race to 25 with 24 games on the wire for an amount equal to or greater than the USA GNP :D

This was directed at anyone in the world and not directed at just American players.
Potts is of the opinion that Chinese 8 ball favours the precision cueists as there is very little luck involved or margin for error.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I counted about 4 times when Potts referred to the table as a 9'×5' same size as American pool tables, as a spokesman he should be able to quote the size of the table correctly, is a 4 1/2'x 9'....or 9'×4 1/2'.....either way, it's not 5' wide. Second, it's a snooker table set up to play 8 ball with 2 1/4" balls....and SNOOKER cloth....but it is NOT a new game as I played English 8 ball on the same size tables in Europe way back in the 70's, Brunswick also sold 9ft snooker tables way back in the late 1800's. Furthermore, anyone who plays Golf on a 6'×12' snooker table....KNOWS the bigger 2 1/4" balls are easier to pocket than the snooker size balls are as they are heavier balls.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

You can reverse that and say that it is a prop bet to only want to play on a "pool" table as well.

Gareth obviously feels like he is the best player on the planet when playing on a Chinese 8-ball table, and he is putting a challenge out to anyone who would like to claim otherwise.

There is no point in asking him if he wants to play Ronnie O'Sullivan snooker on a 12 foot table or play a set of tennis against Serena Williams for money. That is not what Gareth put out there.

There are tons of pool players out there that want to play only on certain equipment. Archer himself avoids Diamond tables and normally only plays his matches if they are played on gold crowns. Is that a "prop bet" now?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I counted about 4 times when Potts referred to the table as a 9'×5' same size as American pool tables, as a spokesman he should be able to quote the size of the table correctly, is a 4 1/2'x 9'....or 9'×4 1/2'.....either way, it's not 5' wide. Second, it's a snooker table set up to play 8 ball with 2 1/4" balls....and SNOOKER cloth....but it is NOT a new game as I played English 8 ball on the same size tables in Europe way back in the 70's, Brunswick also sold 9ft snooker tables way back in the late 1800's. Furthermore, anyone who plays Golf on a 6'×12' snooker table....KNOWS the bigger 2 1/4" balls are easier to pocket than the snooker size balls are as they are heavier balls.

The tables used in the big Chinese 8-Ball events are what we call 4½' x 9'. The playing surface is 50" x 100" (1270mm x 2540mm).