My MN Pool Boot Camp Experience

StraitishShoote

Dad's Rack Boy
In March the week before everything got shutdown due to Coronavirus I spent 2 days with Demetrius Jelatis.* After finding all the posts on here about his MN Pool Boot Camp and discovering I was only a little over an hour away I decided to take the plunge.* I’ve always enjoyed playing pool since I was little and it was something my family did together, but I was never able to play very often.* Now the last 3 years I’ve been able to shoot league and finished with winning records in the lower A and upper A divisions by single digits, and I had a losing record in the AA/Masters league by single digits.* My Fargo rating last I checked was a 490 with 63 games, but they’re all a few years old now.* So right around the average league player.

The two days spent playing pool from around 10 am to 11pm on a Wednesday and 10 am to 10 pm on a Thursday were awesome in how much I learned, how much pool I shot, and a little frustrating in realizing much I have to work on.* I had never shot on a 9 foot diamond table before or used sidespin more than ‘I want to send the cue ball more that way’ so my ability to do everything Demetrius was teaching was limited to non-existent at first.* Even though I’m sure we covered less ground than what was intended Demetrius stayed positive the whole time and would go over stuff in multiple different ways until I understood what we were trying to do.* When I was finally hitting certain shots I think he was more excited than I was.* Mixed in with all of the pool shooting were conversations about mental game, pattern play, and other pool and non-pool related topics.* We also watched some pool during meal breaks with Demetrius adding some commentary or asking questions about certain scenarios.* I left Thursday with a notebook outlining everything we covered, and most importantly to me a plan of what to practice going forward.

The last 3 months I have been able to practice on my table at home more than I have in the past.* And with all of the year end pool tournaments I would normally go to being cancelled I just focused on practicing what was in my notebook.* I went and spent another day and a half or so with Demetrius at the end of June where we focused a lot more on pattern play now that I can actually make the required shots.* Balls would be set up in rotation and I would try to run them out first.* I think in all the runs that were set up I only completed one the exact way I said I would do it the first time.* Then Demetrius would go through exactly how and why he would play the sequence his way.* Then he would mark the target zone for the cue ball after each shot with a tailor’s pen and proceed to shoot the sequence while landing the cue ball in the zone over and over.* After some repetition I was able to complete all of the lay outs that there was no way I would get through minutes before.* While I can now make all of the shots I have been working on my speed control needs A LOT of work.* **But the amount that I feel I’ve improved just over the last 3 months has me very excited for my pool future.*

I am not much of a wordsmith so I doubt I’m conveying how awesome I thought this was and how happy I am with my results so far.* I am extremely cheap and feel like I have gotten way more than what I have paid for.* I’m sure that in the future after I worked on my new refined practice plan from Demetrius I will schedule another day to work with him.

Nathan

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tin Man Boot Camp

I am so jealous! If I lived close I would go for sure. I live in PA and I have not seen any teachers in my area that make me want to sign up.
I did just get the ICA projection system and Robin is amazing with what he has created.
Keep practicing .
Paul

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Sounds like it was definitely worth your while. Thanks for sharing your Boot Camp story:thumbup:.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nathan,
Sounds like you found a very good teacher and he found a great student. Good Luck as I am sure the game has really been fun lately.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tin Man is an excellent teacher, and good communicator, who clearly understands the place good fundamentals have in the learning experience, moreso than "you just have to get your eyes in the right position". No matter where your eyes line up, you'll have difficulty delivering the cuestick in a straight with great timing without great fundamentals! Keep up the good work Demi! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hahahahaha

Tin Man is an excellent teacher, and good communicator, who clearly understands the place good fundamentals have in the learning experience, moreso than "you just have to get your eyes in the right position". No matter where your eyes line up, you'll have difficulty delivering the cuestick in a straight with great timing without great fundamentals! Keep up the good work Demi! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Hahahahahaha. I feel like a kid with divorced parents, can't I just love both you and Geno?!?

Thanks for the plug Scott. To be fair I tell people you are the authority on fundamentals along with guys like Jerry B, Mark W, Randy G, and Dr. Dave. But I can get him patched up a little and he can always fine tune with a true master when the opportunity comes. It was supposed to come to Shooters this summer if I remember but COVID delayed the pool schools, I was personally interested and was going to bring some people I had worked with but what can you do, maybe in the future...

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you

In March the week before everything got shutdown due to Coronavirus I spent 2 days with Demetrius Jelatis.* After finding all the posts on here about his MN Pool Boot Camp and discovering I was only a little over an hour away I decided to take the plunge.* I’ve always enjoyed playing pool since I was little and it was something my family did together, but I was never able to play very often.* Now the last 3 years I’ve been able to shoot league and finished with winning records in the lower A and upper A divisions by single digits, and I had a losing record in the AA/Masters league by single digits.* My Fargo rating last I checked was a 490 with 63 games, but they’re all a few years old now.* So right around the average league player.

The two days spent playing pool from around 10 am to 11pm on a Wednesday and 10 am to 10 pm on a Thursday were awesome in how much I learned, how much pool I shot, and a little frustrating in realizing much I have to work on.* I had never shot on a 9 foot diamond table before or used sidespin more than ‘I want to send the cue ball more that way’ so my ability to do everything Demetrius was teaching was limited to non-existent at first.* Even though I’m sure we covered less ground than what was intended Demetrius stayed positive the whole time and would go over stuff in multiple different ways until I understood what we were trying to do.* When I was finally hitting certain shots I think he was more excited than I was.* Mixed in with all of the pool shooting were conversations about mental game, pattern play, and other pool and non-pool related topics.* We also watched some pool during meal breaks with Demetrius adding some commentary or asking questions about certain scenarios.* I left Thursday with a notebook outlining everything we covered, and most importantly to me a plan of what to practice going forward.

The last 3 months I have been able to practice on my table at home more than I have in the past.* And with all of the year end pool tournaments I would normally go to being cancelled I just focused on practicing what was in my notebook.* I went and spent another day and a half or so with Demetrius at the end of June where we focused a lot more on pattern play now that I can actually make the required shots.* Balls would be set up in rotation and I would try to run them out first.* I think in all the runs that were set up I only completed one the exact way I said I would do it the first time.* Then Demetrius would go through exactly how and why he would play the sequence his way.* Then he would mark the target zone for the cue ball after each shot with a tailor’s pen and proceed to shoot the sequence while landing the cue ball in the zone over and over.* After some repetition I was able to complete all of the lay outs that there was no way I would get through minutes before.* While I can now make all of the shots I have been working on my speed control needs A LOT of work.* **But the amount that I feel I’ve improved just over the last 3 months has me very excited for my pool future.*

I am not much of a wordsmith so I doubt I’m conveying how awesome I thought this was and how happy I am with my results so far.* I am extremely cheap and feel like I have gotten way more than what I have paid for.* I’m sure that in the future after I worked on my new refined practice plan from Demetrius I will schedule another day to work with him.

Nathan

Thank you for the kind words Nathan.

Yeah, it was a pretty special transformation. When Nathan came to my place it was clear he'd played a lot of pool but had been limited by the types of players he got to play with in smaller town leagues. His pre-shot routine was rough, the stroke was jerky, tip placement was inaccurate, he didn't have a clear enough picture of how to move the cue ball around using high/low, and (get ready) he didn't use any sidespin. Like none.

We spend a couple of days and I knew it went well, but it would all depend on his follow through. I actually called him a month ago because I wanted to see how things were going. I was actually afraid that some of it went over his head or that he might not have gotten everything I wanted him to take away from our time together. I was calling to see if he needed a refresher. Imagine my surprise when he told me excitedly that he was playing much better, running out more, and moving the cue ball around from one end of the table with a plan. We decided to get together again for a little more training.

When he started hitting balls I was blown away. He was now surveying the table, making a plan, addressing the ball, cueing accurately and smoothly, and sending the cue ball to a spot. He was running balls like a player, from shot to shot, crisp, accurate, and confident.

It's flat out amazing the type of improvement someone can make in just a couple of months. He did the work. He followed the plan we had put together and it showed. It was super impressive. We got to get deeper into some pattern play ideas and while there is a road ahead it's a fun one and he's moving fast!

I will just add...this game is much easier than people think it is. I have a guy I'm working with that just came over for a 3 day this morning. We had to smooth out his stroke a little. It took 30-60 minutes to get him comfortable, and we'll groove it for a day or two but it's pretty well solved. And he went from losing 0-5 to the 6 ball ghost to being able to start running through the balls smoothly by 8PM. Not every time, but it's in his range already. By Friday night I'll have him the favorite to beat the 6 ball ghost on a 9' Diamond. Doesn't sound like much to some of you, but it's life changing when it's you.

Bottom line, if I hear one more time about how this game is about having talent or spending years polishing fundamentals to a machine edge I'm going to stab myself in the leg with a fork. What if, what if, what if it was really, really, really easy, and you just had to learn how to hit a few shots, how to assemble those shots, and how to fit all the money you started winning into your wallet? I'm not saying it's all in our heads and if we just decide not to miss we can all go pro. It is difficult and takes some focused time and energy. But if you're moving the right direction it doesn't take that long to see results. This isn't just meant for those on the front end of the learning curve. Even advanced players can make progress with the right steps. Those are my favorites because I know they will appreciate what we do. You don't have to bootcamp with me. Do it on your own, do it with a local coach or skype instructor, do it with a friend who plays better than you. But get it done. It's too rewarding to put it together to accept anything less.

Thanks again Nate and look forward to our next talk!

StraitishShoote

Dad's Rack Boy
Thanks Demetrius. I was not sure if the improvements I felt I made at home would show on the big table. I was definitely doing stuff on our second meeting that I could not on the first. I've been signing up for some local tournaments as they're announced and just have to hope they can happen.

I'm sure I'll visit you again in the future.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the interesting review!

I’m a long ways from MN, but right next door to Scott Lee. Hmmmm....