Kelly Fisher elected to HOF

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Kelly Fisher is a very deserving inductee into the Hall of Fame. This is great news.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great choice. Kelly Fisher was a premier player over a long period of time and she is as good a person as she is a pool player. I'm proud to call her a friend and hope I'll be there for her induction, whenever that will be. Of late, it has been during the International, but let's see if that event even happens this year.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A note on the selection process for those who might be wondering why their favorite candidate was not chosen.

The ballot this year included 11 names mentioned in the press release above. There was no meritorious service candidate this year; those happen every other year. The voters may vote for as many candidates as they feel are deserving of HOF membership. In order for the second-place finisher (and further) to be selected, they must get above a certain percentage of votes.

I can see at least four names on this year's ballot that will be shoo-ins in coming years.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A note on the selection process for those who might be wondering why their favorite candidate was not chosen.

The ballot this year included 11 names mentioned in the press release above. There was no meritorious service candidate this year; those happen every other year. The voters may vote for as many candidates as they feel are deserving of HOF membership. In order for the second-place finisher (and further) to be selected, they must get above a certain percentage of votes.

I can see at least four names on this year's ballot that will be shoo-ins in coming years.

Nobody's more obvious than the second best player in European History, Niels Feijen.

That said, the second best female European player ever was voted in, and she was at least as deserving as him. After Niels, I'd say Orcullo and Hohmann are also pretty obvious choices down the road.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Congratulations to Kelly...:clapping:

Bob, I’m curious...do you have a list of the others who were considered?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Kelly...:clapping:

Bob, I’m curious...do you have a list of the others who were considered?

They’re all mentioned in the press release, I believe:

“ Despite being joined on the 2020 ballot by men’s stars Dennis Orcullo, Thorsten Hohman (both in their first year of eligibility), Niels Feijen and Corey Deuel, Fisher earned election by a comfortable margin. She was named on 70 percent of the ballots. Orcullo and Hohmann were both named on more than 50 percent of the ballots, receiving 23 votes from the 46 completed ballots. Deuel and Feijen were both named on more than 20 percent of the ballots. Shannon Daulton, Jeremy Jones, Stefano Pellinga, John Schmidt, Vivial Villarreal and Charlie Williams completed the 2020 ballot.”​

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Kelly Fisher is this year's selection for the BCA Hall of Fame in the Greatest Players category. Here's the full announcement from the United States Billiard Media Association which selects the inductees:

https://cdn.ymaws.com/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/hall_of_fame_/2020HOFRelease-_f_.pdf

Upon learning that she was selected, Kelly exclaimed, "I'm chuffed to bits." (That's not as bad as it sounds.)

Ha ha, all the boy-centric predictions were not lost on me:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6641779&highlight=fisher#post6641779

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In their prime, who wins between Jean Balukas and Kelly Fisher?

I saw the entire career of both up close. I first saw Jean play when she was just 12 years old and many times live in both WPBA and PPPA play. I saw Kelly Fisher dozens of times live in WPBA events.

Obviously, we're not talking straight pool here, in which Jean was miles ahead of every player other than Ruth McGuinniss, a contemporary of Greenleaf.

Moving on to nine ball, Jean had the bigger stroke and played slightly better position than Kelly. Both had a big break, but Kelly pocketed the balls a little better than Jean. Defense and tactical play were about even. So who wins? It's Jean for certain on slow cloth, but on Simonis I'd call it even. As we've seen, it's difficult to compare players who played in different generations .... but hey, I took a shot.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In their prime, who wins between Jean Balukas and Kelly Fisher?
Among top women pros of all time, Jean is still at the top for most knowledgeable pool minds, only challenged possibly by Allison Fisher.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the entire career of both up close. I first saw Jean play when she was just 12 years old and many times live in both WPBA and PPPA play. I saw Kelly Fisher dozens of times live in WPBA events.

Obviously, we're not talking straight pool here, in which Jean was miles ahead of every player other than Ruth McGuinniss, a contemporary of Greenleaf.

Moving on to nine ball, Jean had the bigger stroke and played slightly better position than Kelly. Both had a big break, but Kelly pocketed the balls a little better than Jean. Defense and tactical play were about even. So who wins? It's Jean for certain on slow cloth, but on Simonis I'd call it even. As we've seen, it's difficult to compare players who played in different generations .... but hey, I took a shot.

Thanks, good stuff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congrats to the Hall of Fame selection committee. Of all the candidates, I feel the most deserving was selected for induction.