Different cues- feel of hit

Kkmudbug

Registered
I’ve been playing pool since the late 80s, but not constantly. I’ve only ever owned cues from a couple of cue makers. I have 2 Meucci’s ( DH-1 and a DH-2) and I love the hit and feel of these cues. I also own a Schon STL-2 and a basic 1990 Huebler SH-3. I see alot of Meucci hating on this site due to the fall off in quality from them over the years. I am thinking about getting a custom cue made (or finding a good used one for sale) to add to my collection. Which custom cue makers out there have a hit that most feels like the late 80s early 90s Meuccis?

Thanks for any input!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Are On a Fool’s Errand......

I don’t think the question is answerable because the very topic of feel of the hit, i.e., stroke, is a subjective assessment.
There is no such thing as feel & hit because one is the end result or byproduct of the other and you can figure that out.

Can you describe the feel of what you experienced? Of course you can’t, even if it was yesterday. Trying to
translate a tactile sensation into words or a description of what you just felt is near impossible. You can do
that easily when you do not like the feel but describing what you enjoyed and desire is impossible for the
listener, or any cue maker, to understand. You need to play with a variety of cues and see for yourself what
cues you liked and for the ones you liked, obtain details on the cue’s specs including the tips. Gather your
research notes and order a cue based upon what you liked or else shop until you find that old Meucci cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most older Meuccis had a flat faced, implex joint- some wood to wood contact and some of the contact at the joint was a form of plastic against the wood shaft- about 50/50- . Most of the action people enjoyed from the old Meucci cues had to do with the shaft which tended to be springy in feel off the cue ball- it seemed like draw was easier to achieve, and perhaps follow a bit more difficult- i.e. true follow english.

Most cue makers from the mid 90s got very far away from making shafts like the Meucci original shafts due to all the hype about folks wanting low deflection - whatever that is supposed to be - I don't because if you play enough with any shaft you will know how to aim with it IMO.

Therefore - find a cue maker to make a cue with a flat faced joint similar to your old Meucci and ask him to copy their shaft taper and ferrule material as close as possible - I don't know what else to suggest - nothing off the shelf today will play like a Meucci Original .

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing pool since the late 80s, but not constantly. I’ve only ever owned cues from a couple of cue makers. I have 2 Meucci’s ( DH-1 and a DH-2) and I love the hit and feel of these cues. I also own a Schon STL-2 and a basic 1990 Huebler SH-3. I see alot of Meucci hating on this site due to the fall off in quality from them over the years. I am thinking about getting a custom cue made (or finding a good used one for sale) to add to my collection. Which custom cue makers out there have a hit that most feels like the late 80s early 90s Meuccis?

Thanks for any input!
I wouldn't search for a cue based on that. All cues are different when it comes to that elusive 'feel'. I'd look close at a Mezz or custom maker Bryan Mordt(BCM Cues). Bryan doesn't take orders. He sells direct from his FB page when he has batch ready. Great cues from a really stand-up guy. https://www.facebook.com/BCMcues/