Recommendations for disciple building drills

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
Ones that you would give to a c player on up. Drill for building mental and physical disciple. Links welcome

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
I like this simple stop shot drill I was given by my instructor Chicago Dave Gorgas. It really will groove a straight stroke and has helped my game more than any other drill I have ever done (many).

Set up a ball 2'-3' from pocket and cue ball 2'-3' away. Shoot a stop shot. Grab another ball and shoot in the cue ball as a stop shot. Keep going using a whole rack of balls. This will make every stop shot 2.25" longer gradually making each stop shot harder than the 1st.

The goal is a dead perfect stop on every shot as this requires a perfect hit to accomplish. I played with this drill every day for a couple weeks seeing how long I could go. My best was 149, planning to stop at 150 as I was getting tired/bored and i bobbled the last ball !?!

I love this drill. Many may find it so boring but if you really really love pool you can find the absolute beauty in a perfectly executed stop shot. It can be very satisfying and I feel that it has helped my game.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
One of the best drills I use is one my Dad showed me about 60 years ago. Place 15 balls in a large circle in the middle of the table and the CB in the middle. Shoot all 15 balls in any pocket W/O the CB going out of the circle. This will give you amazing feel, touch, and stroke. You will get very good at moving the CB short distances using draw and stop shots. This is really good for 14.1 and 15 ball rotation. Also, with OB in the middle of table and CB inches out of right hand corner pocket, shoot the OB into the far left hand corner following it in with the CB. This will tell you if you have a straight stroke or help you get one shooting it many times. Johnnyt

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo

Discipline builds discipline. Drills of any sort is very difficult and not for everyone, there is no set drill or thing that builds this in an individual.

If your (that persons) goal is to become better at their sport or better at a skill (problem within that sport) then they need to work on it. Understand that it will be boring in the beginning but get easier or "more tolerable" as time goes by. A C player needs to work on the basics, so like someone else mentioned, shooting stop shots is about as basic and early foundation for building discipline.

This person needs to understand that it's a "marathon" and not a "sprint", no one drill only teaches one thing. Use each drill to work on form, fundaments, stroke (all aspects of it), technique, delivery and timing, picking any combo of things to work on the most over the rest.

i.e.
while shooting the stop shot let form be your number one goal in the beginning, with timing next and cue tip placement to follow, caring less about the actual "stopping of the ball". Once form and XYZ builds it will become a part of you and thus "cue tip placement" to fall into place, cause you will learn that cue tip placement changes depending on the shot and situation and you will never play a single game if you think about working on all of the options in pool before applying them. (Fundament/Form is the number one breakdown of any pool player and yet the least thing practiced)

This is all just advice (i'm no pro and this is just IMO) so do whatever the ______ you wanna do
(apologize for the last comment, it's just a catch phrase that someone i follow use and i find funny "but true")

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ones that you would give to a c player on up. Drill for building mental and physical disciple. Links welcome

IMO, mental discipline could come at later stages, and is learnt with time, lots of hurt, and joy during the ride! physical is to make sure the stroke is 100% straight at all speeds; i highly recommend practice strokes with just the CB and ensure stroke is 100% use a $1.00 laser to help, then straight long shots CB at head string, and OB at center of table (go down and lineup the shot 100% straight, if you do not it could be a little off and you would not notice it, and your center aim would sent ob to left or right, it took me months to know why i was not consistent with this damn shot) , if you cannot make this shot you are not going to make ones with cuts. Try sets of 20 at all possible times of the day, challenge yourself at pool hall, have people watch you, know when you miss and why. Later start introducing english and speed, then and only then move on to cut shots drills.