Artie was a helluva 1-p champ......

Freddy the Beard talks about him a bit in one of his books...... Doc

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
stroke

Cool picture.

I noticed in both this picture and in watching Ralph Greenleaf, they both have a very different form. Not only do they not get down as low on the ball which is well known, their back arm is way different. Their elbows seem to be much lower and they are choked way up on the cue. When watching Greenleaf it seemed like he was lifting the cue stick and tossing it underhanded.

I'm just noticing this now, if anyone knows more about this I'm interested. It's amazing to me that worked so well.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Lordy! What was Shorty's problem? Or was there a spot?

He couldn't win! NO spot, EVEN! Artie was just a better player than Shorty! Especially on home court!

Bugs and Artie, all thy're lives played 9/8, Bugs giving. The ONLY reason Artie didn't play Bugs even was, He didn't want to have to give all the black players on the South & West side the BIG spots Bugs did! I don't believe Bugs ever came out winner's playing Artie!

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlaY9nMzGI

Speaking of Sigel I just discovered that video from the 2011 14.1 championships. I believe if there was any money in pool these days Mike could get his game to a place where he would be a threat to win any tournament he entered in rotation games or 14.1 - assuming he is in good health.

One of the best ever to joint a cue.

Think again. Age does us all in. His career is over.

_______

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Hold on is this edited video? Looks like Jay Halfert to me playing. No just kidding thanks for the video.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone wants to see shorty playing some more, there is a senior tour video form AccuStats with him, maybe a few. This is from Highpockets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PHeJY7lQs

These senior tour videos are good, you can catch the old time greats before they got too old, although likely years past their prime.