Efren rotation outdoors powder allowed

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

So does anyone know why they mark certain balls with chalk during the rack? I can’t figure it out. Sometimes it’s a ball right next to the cue ball, other times it will be 3 or 4 different balls near an object ball. It seems like they’re marking so they can set the shot back up if necessary but that doesn’t quite explain it because they miss plenty of balls that would possibly be important, and I’ve yet to see anyone replay a shot, just take a spot shot when opponent misses the OB.

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So does anyone know why they mark certain balls with chalk during the rack? I can’t figure it out. Sometimes it’s a ball right next to the cue ball, other times it will be 3 or 4 different balls near an object ball. It seems like they’re marking so they can set the shot back up if necessary but that doesn’t quite explain it because they miss plenty of balls that would possibly be important, and I’ve yet to see anyone replay a shot, just take a spot shot when opponent misses the OB.

Balls they are shooting or bridging over.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get why they're marking them either, maybe it has something to do with betting.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They mark any ball which might accidentally be bumped or moved. They have been doing that forever there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No wonder the 'pino's are so good. TUFF conditions. Humidity has to be BRUTAL.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
No wonder the 'pino's are so good. TUFF conditions. Humidity has to be BRUTAL.

Yeah it must be like playing on glass when they hit the new simonis in an AC room.

I noticed the guy bodjie rubbing massive amounts of powder on an area where he wanted to leave the cue ball a few times, like to fudge up the cloth more and really stop the CB when it got in that zone. The whole table though was pretty smudged up with powder so that also adds to the toughness as well.

I love seeing islands and the ocean and stuff on movies or shows but I’m at the beach now and I really just hate the ocean and humidity in general, the island life is not for me. Give me mountains and crisp air and pool balls that roll forever.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd say it's more chalk and powder required, not allowed.

Is there a list of rules somewhere? About five minutes after the linked time (start of following rack) the young guy seems to hit the one ball OK and get a rail after but he is forced to take a spot shot. Any idea why?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I noticed the guy bodjie rubbing massive amounts of powder on an area where he wanted to leave the cue ball a few times, like to fudge up the cloth more and really stop the CB ...
Luther Lassiter used to leave lots of talc smudges on the cloth. I suspected it was to leave visible targets for position. I like to use such targets when available, but I gave up talc a long time ago.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Luther Lassiter used to leave lots of talc smudges on the cloth. I suspected it was to leave visible targets for position. I like to use such targets when available, but I gave up talc a long time ago.
I assumed it's a "pushout" option on safeties where you can either kick at the hidden ball or give your opponent a spot shot...?

pj
chgo

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Few Rules

Cue ball fouls only, thus ball positions are marked in the event the shooter accidentally moves a ball. With a referee, chalk or powder is used to mark the position. This allows the referee to return the moved ball close to its original position. A player has the option of having the opponent shoot a spot shot if he or she cannot see the object ball vice kicking at it and selling out. Additionally, incoming player also has the option of shooting a spot shot in the event of a bad hit by the opponent. A scratch with the object ball inside the kitchen is spotted, while a scratch with the object ball outside the kitchen remains in play. Both instances are ball in hand behind the kitchen.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I'd say it's more chalk and powder required, not allowed.

Is there a list of rules somewhere? About five minutes after the linked time (start of following rack) the young guy seems to hit the one ball OK and get a rail after but he is forced to take a spot shot. Any idea why?

My guess is Efren is taking an intentional scratch. It was obviously a good hit and rail.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Cue ball fouls only, thus ball positions are marked in the event the shooter accidentally moves a ball. With a referee, chalk or powder is used to mark the position. This allows the referee to return the moved ball close to its original position. A player has the option of having the opponent shoot a spot shot if he or she cannot see the object ball vice kicking at it and selling out. Additionally, incoming player also has the option of shooting a spot shot in the event of a bad hit by the opponent. A scratch with the object ball inside the kitchen is spotted, while a scratch with the object ball outside the kitchen remains in play. Both instances are ball in hand behind the kitchen.
Thanks!

Are these rules common elsewhere too?

pj
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

Are these rules common elsewhere too?

pj
chgo

I’ve read a few rotation rules, neither mention “conceding” a spot shot like that but what I remember from Efren on a TAR podcast is that if you are snookered you can give your opponent a spot shot with BIH behind the line. I think you have to be snookered to do that, which makes sense, but it was hard to fully understand what was up.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They mark balls when the player might accidentally move a ball - example being when the player is shooting over a ball. That way they can return the ball to its original location.

Not sure but I suspect the guy marking the balls is like a rack boy from a bygone era - he expects to get a buck tossed his way after the match.