Your greatest pool shot/moment

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
One Pocket

My greatest moment, was in Johnston City IL, late sixties. I saw Ronnie Allen run 8 and out two racks in a row, one handed in the air.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Beat Efren, the 90's version, in 9 ball at a Hard Times tournament. And when I mean beat, I mean 1 game.

It was magical how he hung that nine ball in the jaws of the corner pocket.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A fiend of mine got me in a bad game and he left in the middle of it with the money.

I made a 3 railer so I could walk toward the back door because I was planning on running. lol I made it instead and ran out for the cash.

They paid and I was glad!

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Played a open tournament with some really good players, think there was around 50 players. I won the winners side, and had myself in the calcutta. Was loser break, but I broke and ran a bunch of racks. I didn't know i had won the winners side until a guy named Cat (from north judson In) came over and told me.

I did get double dipped by someone, don't remember who it was. Seems like it was Steve Oaks. Didn't really care because I went for like 80 in the calcutta and the payout was very good.

Most frustrating was missing a safety at a 55 player field tournament to allow my opponent to get out and win, so I finished 1 out of the money. For a minute or two they told me I had finished in the money. That was last year up at Gina's, which have tables that are unfair. I was going to donate any money I won back to the young lady who the tournament was being run for.

Most memorable watching someone else shoot was Jr. Rodgers shooting 1 handed, jacked up and just stringing racks.

Most memorable shot, that is a tough one. Probably playing a 3 rail kick shot combo against a guy that hates it when you make the 9 out of order. Gets him on tilt.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Great thread!
I've had some good ones.
They don't always result in a run out most of the time! Lol
My most memorable was playing in a Straight Pool league.
I shot a 3 ball combo (probably unadvisable) made it, broke up the rack and ran out to the next break shot.
Not much, but you had to be there!Haha

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I know we have had to have been in the same room bunches of times.

Steve is still a (insert word that rhymes with pick).
I think it was 3 years ago or maybe just 1 or 2 more, that he went out to Vegas for the Valley tournament and he was not classified as a master for some reason.

Anywho, he wins the whole thing, stage, models, etc. and while I know that it is a huge feat to do such a thing, he was bragging about how they didn't put him in masters. Remember he has won it with his team I don't know how many times in A, B, Open, and Masters, and has either won it or placed really high in singles.

Played a open tournament with some really good players, think there was around 50 players. I won the winners side, and had myself in the calcutta. Was loser break, but I broke and ran a bunch of racks. I didn't know i had won the winners side until a guy named Cat (from north judson In) came over and told me.

I did get double dipped by someone, don't remember who it was. Seems like it was Steve Oaks. Didn't really care because I went for like 80 in the calcutta and the payout was very good.

Most frustrating was missing a safety at a 55 player field tournament to allow my opponent to get out and win, so I finished 1 out of the money. For a minute or two they told me I had finished in the money. That was last year up at Gina's, which have tables that are unfair. I was going to donate any money I won back to the young lady who the tournament was being run for.

Most memorable watching someone else shoot was Jr. Rodgers shooting 1 handed, jacked up and just stringing racks.

Most memorable shot, that is a tough one. Probably playing a 3 rail kick shot combo against a guy that hates it when you make the 9 out of order. Gets him on tilt.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
NICE!!!

With the 3 ball combo, did you have to do the whole
If I cut this ball it will hit on the right side of the next ball and the left side of the ball after that and then throw a bit to the right.

Or did you just line it up and fire?

Great thread!
I've had some good ones.
They don't always result in a run out most of the time! Lol
My most memorable was playing in a Straight Pool league.
I shot a 3 ball combo (probably unadvisable) made it, broke up the rack and ran out to the next break shot.
Not much, but you had to be there!Haha

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had this one last night,
At first, thinking squeez the CB though the 11 and cushion with some top left,
then after some few minutes decided on a cross sides kick into the 6,
hit it firm with right, cut that sucker in the O pocket,
CB came of the cushion for dam near straight in on the 8 in the O pocket for the win.

Lucky for sure, yet qualifies for a greatest shot/moment for me

kickshot.JPG

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be 2 different things.

Your greatest pool shot. (if you have video awesome, if not plz try to diagram)
The shot that you made which you will never forget.
You don't have to have won the match, or even the game, just your opinion on the greatest shot.

Secondary, the greatest moment you have personally had in pool.
HAS to be you playing someone, no autographs, or meeting your idol, etc.
Maybe you won the league for your team.
Maybe you made a break and run pot for some good money.
Maybe you won a local tournament against players who were better.

I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks.

Greatest shot, I had won 2000.00 off a bar owner in the 70s playing a guy he had brought in from out of town, who I kept feeling should be beating me, he just didn't . We had played 8 ball for about 10 hours and I was 8 games up on him I think. we had started at 50 went to 100 then 200 then 400 then 500 and I said no more doubling. I was up 2500.00 and had gotten paid, and paid him after every game. I had a partner with me .
The guy said I'll play one more game for 2000.00, then we are done for tonight. I talked to my partner and this guy was such good action in this town of nits we didn't want to lose him.
I said ok and we lagged for break and I won, I broke, made a ball and ran down to the 8 ball , the problem is it is frozen on the long rail about 4 inches up from the pocket I am dead straight across from it and the pocket next to it has a ball in the jaws the cross corner has a ball in the way , and the 3 railer in the side is also blocked. Those were the only shots I knew. The only pocket I can possibly make it in, is cross side and my cueball is going flying and I don't think I can hit it thin enough to make it, and still hard enough to have the legs without jumping off the table.
I thought about the shot for a few minutes and called it cross side , I just decided it was either going to go or I would lose so I whacked it about as hard as I could and it starts heading across table I make the ball in the corner, cueball is flying from rail to rail knocking balls all over the place , the ball is still going, narrowly missing other balls and the cueball , it's moving so slow, about half way across , I am sure it won;t get there,or something will hit it. But it keeps rolling and it gets to the side pocket, stops for about a second, then drops in. As great as that shot was for me , the lord made an even greater move, getting me out of that bar alive, after the owner put a shotgun on me.

The greatest compliment I ever received was from Scott Frost, I had been in Arizona for about a month and I think he had just come back to town. He must have asked the locals who I was and how I played, and they all told him I didn't gamble, and it was a good thing because I was helpless. I had been really sick for about 6 years by then , all my nerve sheaths were compromised so I had a lot of weird jumpy stuff going on when I shot and I was in a lot of pain . I was knocking balls around late one afternoon and Scott introduces himself, and asks if I want to play 5 games, he said he knows I don't gamble, but he has to bet something, so if I win a game he will pay my time for the day. Pretty nice gesture , right?
He is giving me 10 to 6 , and the first break. We are on his table, in his pool room, with about 25 of his friends and admirers watching, and to say I was nervous, would be the understatement of the year.
I made a decent break and we played back and forth and he had a couple of balls he banked that hung up and left me something I could make , usually pretty tough I forget how I got my 4th and 5th balls but I know after I got a couple he wasn't taking chances, Somehow I got to my sixth ball straight in, I had another ball I could have probably drawn to position for, but I cinched the ball,
Scott says , oh no, you scammed these guys, you gotta play like the big boys and go to 8. Everybody laughed and agreed, so we keep playing, he makes some balls and he left me a long rail bank I have to stiff the socks off of , but it has sideboards , if I can get it short enough I probably make it and win, I shot it and it split the pocket, all net, I know he left me the shot because he didn't think I could make it if I did shoot, and would sell out. Scott said great shot, and of course everyone is razzing him, to his credit he never got upset he just told them all, that they were lucky I didn't gamble, because I would have robbed them, and they would have still thought, I couldn't play.
To have won even 1 game, from one of the greatest One Pocket players in the world will always be the highlight of my pool life.
After I wrote these 2 stories I realize how hard it is going to be for anyone to believe , come to think of it , maybe they were hallucinations, the late 70s were a pretty crazy time

Last edited:

poolflake

In the early 70's, I used to go to a local bar for a couple of hours while my wife was in night school. I was probably the 2nd best player there (only one guy usually beat me and he didn't show up most of the time. Anyway, one night I had won maybe 10 games (8 ball on a quarter bar box) and was playing a young lady who wasn't very good. I would stop her and correct her aim or whatever or grab the ball before it missed the pocket and let her try it again. Even if she made it she wasn't going to win and she learned a little bit and had some fun (actually making a ball now and then). Anyway, two guys walk in and start loudly talking about playing against each other as soon as one of them got on the table, because they were so much better than us. The guy got pissed that I was letting this girl pocket a ball here and there and started complaining that the game was taking too long. That pissed me off so I slowed down even more and showed her a few more shots before winning the game. Then the guy gets on the table with me (after waiting about 20 minutes) and I broke and ran out for the first time in my life. The final shot was the 8 ball on the middle on the bottom rail and cue ball about 2 inches from the top rail, in the middle, and I cut it in, much to my amazement. Everyone in the bar cheered and laughed and the two idiots left even more pissed off. It was the crowning achievement of my young pool life.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been dogging it on us!

I am noticing a handful or more of "old" posters that never post coming out of the woodwork! With posts like this available obviously you are shortchanging both yourself and the other members! Seems silly to welcome somebody that has been here five years but come on in and make yourself at home!

Hu

In the early 70's, I used to go to a local bar for a couple of hours while my wife was in night school. I was probably the 2nd best player there (only one guy usually beat me and he didn't show up most of the time. Anyway, one night I had won maybe 10 games (8 ball on a quarter bar box) and was playing a young lady who wasn't very good. I would stop her and correct her aim or whatever or grab the ball before it missed the pocket and let her try it again. Even if she made it she wasn't going to win and she learned a little bit and had some fun (actually making a ball now and then). Anyway, two guys walk in and start loudly talking about playing against each other as soon as one of them got on the table, because they were so much better than us. The guy got pissed that I was letting this girl pocket a ball here and there and started complaining that the game was taking too long. That pissed me off so I slowed down even more and showed her a few more shots before winning the game. Then the guy gets on the table with me (after waiting about 20 minutes) and I broke and ran out for the first time in my life. The final shot was the 8 ball on the middle on the bottom rail and cue ball about 2 inches from the top rail, in the middle, and I cut it in, much to my amazement. Everyone in the bar cheered and laughed and the two idiots left even more pissed off. It was the crowning achievement of my young pool life.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted this story previously.

My most memorable shot was from an exhibition game against Willie Mosconi. The shot is pictured in the link below. I was shooting at the 9-ball that needed to go in the opposite side pocket on a fairly tight table. The cue ball was wired to scratch in the corner pocket meaning that I needed to elevate the back of my cue to put some back spin on it. The table was crowded with observers and local cable TV was covering the event. I was a bit distracted until Willie tried to rattle me by chattering in my ear while I was getting ready to shoot. “That’s a scratch shot, watch it, call you pocket” over and over. It was all I needed to focus and make the ball. I have a copy of the videotape. Unfortunately, he did not record me shooting the last shot. But the tape has one frame where the ball placement can be seen.

The shot is pictured in this linked post.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6490911&postcount=20

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
It took a while:wink:

The talk in the Deep Knowledge thread rattled my memory. My brag shot is a jump shot. Well a kind of jump / masse!

I had witnessed some incredible jumps:

The first was Mike Massy in 1984 Ceaser Tahoe tournament.(my first pro tournament experience). After the break he performed a jump that I have since seen in a Byrnes book. (Wasn’t credited if I remember correctly). After the break. The cue ball was on the head string about a diamond off the rail. The one ball was on the foot string and straight in. The two was on the Brunswick (stuck to the head rail). Only the five and seven were on the line of shot mid table. Mike jumped and pocketed the one and drew the cue ball for perfect shape on the two.

The second was 1985 at The Sands in Reno tournament . Efren jumped with his shooting cue off the point of the corner pocket. After he had executed the best safety I had ever witnessed. Put the cue ball in jail by going around the table and hiding behind 3 balls. On the way in it brushed the ball closest to the foot rail and it went to the rail then back to close the door behind. Garbed a ball in doing it. He then jumped off the tip and got a hit and a hook.

The third was in the late 80’s by Cole Dixon playing Harry one pocket. The straight back bank that he popped the cue ball a foot up to beat the kiss.

Whew, I feel long winded. Now my jump... uh somewhere mid 90’s. Had a customer playing $20 nine ball. He gambled and thought his game was one pocket. (So the plan was first 9 ball then 8 ball with the finals being one pocket). I lost him at $320 in the 9 ball.(Ronnie Allen was in town and had their gambling juices flowing. So when he put the bite on me to borrow $40. I told him, “it’s a gift “.)

The shot: the 7 and 8 very close together on the foot rail, near the middle diamond and maybe 3-4 inches apart with the 8 less than a ball off the rail. My cue ball was 4 inches from the 8 and equal distance off the rail. I jumped onto the rubber and had the cue ball cutting in the 7 to the corner. While I was expecting to hit it full the effect on my opponent was uh overwhelming. My philosophy had always been after an incredible shot if I didn’t get out it didn’t happen. In this case it didn’t matter. Of course cutting the 7 left the cue ball in the kitchen for a reasonable straight back on the 8 with the 9 ball hanging. I let up on the 8. Not missing on purpose but just relaxing the focus 🥴. He was helpless and we were done.

A week later Ronnie hit me up to “borrow “ another $40. I explained to him, “it was a gift But I am not a sucker or groupie”.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question reminds me of the most fun tournament game I can remember. I forget what year but early 2000's I think in Dubuque, IA at the Mason's Lodge that Bob Byrne was a member and Tournament Organizer.
I was playing George Ashby in the Final Rounds. We were both trading off the lead and I was playing out of my league. One shot I'll never forget probably because of the situation plus it was not the easiest to pull off.

The link isn't perfectly set up since I'm not that good with ChalkySticks. They don't allow you to move the lines once placed. Anyway the jest of it was I was white and the balls are close to exactly lined up, but the Red will hit the short rail if I hit it perfect dead center. If it wasn't hit absolutely perfect dead center there was no chance.
Made it but Geo came back with a few of his own magic shots to win the game.

Forget the score. Doesn't matter. It was close and lots of fun.

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/1a619.png

Made another one against Byrne in another tournament in Decatur but for another day.
Just say Bob wasn't happy with it. LOL