Snooker Players & Their Elbow

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I know this has been debated to the hilt, and i know Allison is a former snooker player that has no elbow drop. but tonight on YouTube i am watching Earl play Mark Williams, a snooker world champion and to my surprise Mark Williams also had some elbow drop.

I thought snooker players never dropped that elbow?

DCP

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Ok, I know this has been debated to the hilt, and i know Allison is a former snooker player that has no elbow drop. but tonight on YouTube i am watching Earl play Mark Williams, a snooker world champion and to my surprise Mark Williams also had some elbow drop.

DCP

Did he drop it before his tip made contact with the cueball or after?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

DCP
Most of them do. Don't be surprised. Only people who don't pay attention but like to write posts without research say they don't.

Fred <~~~ not saying anything about when they drop

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member
Elbow drop imo is determined by your length of bridge.

If you don't drop your elbow---> you must have a shorter bridge.

If you do drop your elbow----> you probably have a longer bridge.

An elbow drop allows you to follow through without your cue diving into to cloth.

see the link to a couple animations on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/10ball1

Not worth putting allot of thought into.... Just two different ways to hit the ball.

People who play with elbow drop in their stroke will not benefit to change as well as the contrary. As far as i can tell.

Dudley

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched Ronnie O'Sullivan drop his elbow quite a bit too. I feel that it shouldn't affect anything after contact with the ball.

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member

I was posting my original thought on the subject. I haven't read what others have said about this so I wouldn't know their opinions on elbow drop.

My point of view is that elbow drop is necessary to have a longer follow through and backswing while keeping the cue level. (a long bridge--->elbow drop)

If you had a a compact stroke there would be no benefit to move your elbow up and down because the cue remains fairly level through the range of your stroke until the tip drives into the table. (shown in the clip named-- no elbow drop)

I am not really interested in changing my stroke I just thought it was kind of interesting and wanted to share the animation I made of the two fundamental types of pool strokes.

Dudley

http://www.youtube.com/user/10ball1

Last edited:

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mark williams drops his elbow, ronnie o' sullivan drops his elbow on every shot and even stephen hendry does it. Actually i think 90% of the players drop their elbow.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By dropping your elbow before contact, you require the co-ordination of a lot more muscles to keep that cue straight. Thereby making it much easier for something to go wrong. Best to move as little as possible, which the pendulum or no elbow drop stroke does.

What you say is logical, however, there are really no modern pro snooker players who shoot with their elbow pinned if a long stroke is required. They always seem to open up the grip and drop elbow slightly on (long) backstroke to keep the cue on horizontal plane. It must be very hard to coordinate this properly, they probably learned this technique as children...:confused:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator...I worked with one of the top snooker coaches in England, while at the trade show in Vegas last summer, sharing with him the benefits of the pinned elbow swing. He was already aware of it, and after our discussion and demonstrations, decided that his students could utilize it well. He is taking it to his students back in England, so there must be something to it.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What you say is logical, however, there are really no modern pro snooker players who shoot with their elbow pinned if a long stroke is required. They always seem to open up the grip and drop elbow slightly on (long) backstroke to keep the cue on horizontal plane. It must be very hard to coordinate this properly, they probably learned this technique as children...:confused:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil...No need to apologize. Your info is, as usual, dead on. There's really no necessity for any difference in the stroke, regardless of the game (see above post). The differences are choices made, not out of necessity for something different to happen with the shot.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You are right, even though it clearly says "snooker", I was thinking and responding to "pool". My bad.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then WHY do you keep bringing up inane debates? The answer is always gonna be the same...different strokes for different folks. It seems like since you've been back, you've taken over Cocabolo's 'inane thread' role. Keep it up, and you'll go away again. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

i checked my dvd Scott. you NEVER told me it was different strokes for different folks. you told me "THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!" and i've tried and tried that way and it doesnt work.

thanks for the kind words. dont worry about coming to southern Indiana anymore.

Mike

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• snooker manual page 10.jpg
    snooker manual page 10.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scaramouche...As always, you bring up some great points, and back them up with video links. Like I told Mike...some do and some don't...it's a choice to drop the elbow, not a necessity. Thanks for your continued contributions to the board! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

And here is a snooker coach who specifically recommends dropping the elbow

http://www.pjnolanschampionsacademy.com/index.php/coaching-material/coaching-guides/the-cue-action#

Compare to the SPF crowd