Most dominant cash Nine ball player of any era?

banged up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions of the best 9 ball player FOR THE CHEESE from any era.

not hypotheticals of worst vs duel etc. Just who dominated there era the best at nine ball for the cash.

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Those were the two that I was going to say...(Keith and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter)

Of course, way back in the day, when he was still young, Mosconi was a mean 9-ball player as well. *shrug*

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There are a lot of them that I would call even for the $$$$ playing even. Buddy Hall didn't get in very many bad games at his peak, and he had a long peak. Parica. Mike S. and Earl come to mind. Shane has to be tops right now. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lassiter was probably the most dominant of all time, with only one man he felt was his equal - George Rood. And Luther could bring it for the cash, the bigger the better. Do you know he was playing $100-500 a game 9-Ball in the 40's and 50's? That's like playing for several thousand a game today.

Other dominant players include Buddy without question. He was the most feared American player for many years. Not even Keith wanted any part of him. Then Parica came along and pretty soon no one wanted to do business with him either. He was spotting the world! And winning!

These three are the dominant big money 9-Ball players during my lifetime. One other player of note was Jay Swanson, who next to Buddy, could play better for big money than anyone else.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
By "dominant money player", I would read that as the guy who most often got the cash. Jay, I know you will think of it, I'm brain dead right now, who was the guy that wasn't quite world class, but very, very, seldom lost for the cash, stayed under the radar for almost his whole career?

You must be talking about either Toby or Denny (he was WORLD class but didn't care for tournaments). Frisco Jack (probably who you're thinking of) was mainly a One Pocket player but he did make some serious 9-Ball scores as well. In the Lassiter era, Don Watson is another player who comes to mind. You just never heard of anyone beating him, unless he was roaring drunk.

Last edited:

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lassiter was probably the most dominant of all time, with only one man he felt was his equal - George Rood. And Luther could bring it for the cash, the bigger the better. Do you know he was playing $100-500 a game 9-Ball in the 40's and 50's? That's like playing for several thousand a game today.

Other dominant players include Buddy without question. He was the most feared American player for many years. Not even Keith wanted any part of him. Then Parica came along and pretty soon no one wanted to do business with him either. He was spotting the world! And winning!

These three are the dominant big money 9-Ball players during my lifetime. One other player of note was Jay Swanson, who next to Buddy, could play better for big money than anyone else.

Jay, I know this was not the original question, but I'd be interested to hear your take on who are the best of today's young crew (like early 30's or younger).

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, he has been mentioned on here several times in the past. Always as one of the best cash players ever. Knew how to match up with the real big boys and take them off if necessary, but usually avoided them. Never played tournaments. (Not Don Willis, although he would be a contender too for this thread.) Maybe my brain will wake up and I'll think of it.:eek:

Are you thinking of Jack Cooney?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I know this was not the original question, but I'd be interested to hear your take on who are the best of today's young crew (like early 30's or younger).

Thanks,
Aaron

Yang, Alex (when playing), Lee Vann, Dennis O., and Shane! That's about it.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the cash

Buddy by far the longer the better!! ANOTHER NOT MENTIONED JIMMY REID WAS REALLY STRONG IN LATE 70S. IF THE MIXTURE WAS RIGHT OR THE STARS IN LINE LUIE ROBERTS STOLE THE SHOW.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pretty close call between the Luther Lassiter of the 1940's and the Buddy Hall of the 1970's, but Lasstier gets the nod.

JarnoV

JarnoV
Silver Member
These three are the dominant big money 9-Ball players during my lifetime.

Do I remember correctly or was it you Jay who has given high praises for Ching-Shun Yang's cash game? If so, how do you think he compares to those three guys?