Predator history?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Can anyone furnish a detailed history of Predator cues, - where they were made from inception to today?

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Predator, as I understand it

It's my understanding that Predator started as a small company in Louisiana? Florida? somewhere in the South in the early- mid 90's and produced cues with the selling point of the radial laminated shaft known as the Predator 314. I have heard that back then they worked a lot with William Dominiak or purchased materials and ideas from him and Cuestock, inc. Cues and materials were of a high quality and were for the most part American produced and made. Demand grew and increased marketing needs became essential and beginning in the late 90's the company began to go "international" and are currently "world wide." Predator cues are now manufactured in many parts of the world, or I should say, Many parts are manufactured in many parts of the world. Manufacturing plants through out Asia and in other parts of the world construct different parts of the cues and the cues themselves are put together somewhere else. Although Predator maintains offices here in the United States I doubt that you'd ever find an actual American made Predator anymore. Maybe North American? I think some of the materials are harvested and put together in Canada. I once contacted Predator to express my disappointment that Predators were no longer American made and I was told that current technologies allow Predator to produce a superior product and maintain an international clientele. I own and have played with many Predator products, from the original 314 shaft and cue on up to the Z2 shaft and personally, I have found none of the new Predator cues or shafts to be as high a quality or, frankly, as good as my original 314. "New" modern technologies in my opinion have failed to yield a cue better than or equal to the original Predator 314 cues that were first made in America. Predator, in my opinion, still makes an excellent product but they fail to meet the standard set by the original 314.
It's like this: Imagine your favorite neighborhood breakfast place that you've been going to for years because they made the best pancakes in the world, now imagine that place was just purchased by Denny's. Of course, in the end of all this, you may disagree or I could be wrong, perhaps you'd rather eat at a Denny's

Last edited:

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Predator started in Michigan...Allan McCarty and Steve Titus.....Great until they left Michigan, mass producton killed the quality. After 2001 there quality really went in the crapper........my opinion.

Last edited:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be trying a 314/2 on my next cue just so I can say I've tried it.

They've got a facility of some sort in northern Florida just around the corner from me.

I emailed 'em three, count 'em three times, with a few simple pre purchase questions, and they never even had the courtesy to respond; no acknowledgement whatsoever.

Apparently, they're only interested in moving product. They would be well served to study the Zippo model. My wedding day Zippo has been back to Bradford three times in its 40 years, and never one cent for repairs.

I don't expect anything like a lifetime warranty from Predator, but they should at least have the social grace to give me a simple reply.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had every flavor of predator shaft made and commonly available, starting with the version with the 1" long ferrule and I believe no 314 marking on the shaft. All the way up to the latest imported z2 and 314-2. I've been satisfied with all of them, and haven't noticed any decrease in quality.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Still looking for Pred history...

I'll be trying a 314/2 on my next cue just so I can say I've tried it.

They've got a facility of some sort in northern Florida just around the corner from me.

I emailed 'em three, count 'em three times, with a few simple pre purchase questions, and they never even had the courtesy to respond; no acknowledgement whatsoever.

Apparently, they're only interested in moving product. They would be well served to study the Zippo model. My wedding day Zippo has been back to Bradford three times in its 40 years, and never one cent for repairs.

I don't expect anything like a lifetime warranty from Predator, but they should at least have the social grace to give me a simple reply.

Yes, I emailed Pred a few times and got no response.
I'm still looking for a more complete history. I'd like to know when and where all Predator models were made. I know that the newer ones are made in numerous Asian factories, so there's no complete history. I'd really like to know when the move to Asia was made. Before they went to the quick release joint? When they began the 314-2 line? Are any parts made in the USA (besides the butts made by Jacoby, Pechauer, etc.)?
Like many Pred users, I like the older ones better. On another thread, an AZer sees many cues as losing quality over the past 20 years or so. I tend to agree. Greed trumps craftsmanship in today's world...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
I've had every flavor of predator shaft made and commonly available, starting with the version with the 1" long ferrule and I believe no 314 marking on the shaft. All the way up to the latest imported z2 and 314-2. I've been satisfied with all of them, and haven't noticed any decrease in quality.

THANK GOD somebody's heard of the Predator with the 1" ferrule. I have one, and couldn't...for the life of me...figure out if anybody else had seen or owned one.

Aside from that one, I have three 314-2 shafts, and love how they play. Nice and stiff, good feel.

Much like the others, though....I can't get them to return an e-mail to save my life.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
They dont seem to read their emails.. I emailed them 3 or 4 times asking for a bumper and nothing no reply.. they dont care..

Extremely bad customer service considering that they sell 2000$ cues:mad:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donny brings up a good point. Do we know who makes the butts?

I'll be trying to locate one of the new Roadline series. I see some sites offer an upgrade to a leather wrap.

Does anyone know if this "leather" wrap is actually truly leather, or is it whatever Pred calls their faux leather-like wrap??? :shrug:

got-roll-d

Djnjdot@gmail.com
Silver Member
customer service

I have had great luck getting quick response and real answers through their Facebook page.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donny brings up a good point. Do we know who makes the butts?

I'll be trying to locate one of the new Roadline series. I see some sites offer an upgrade to a leather wrap.

Does anyone know if this "leather" wrap is actually truly leather, or is it whatever Pred calls their faux leather-like wrap??? :shrug:
:scratchhead:

As far as I know...your butt and shaft will come from China. Around 4-5 years ago a new factory was built in China to make Predator Cues.

To know more, you can call Predator 1-888-314-4111 in Jacksonville Florida. It's an old number but might be still good.

Or call the biggest Predator dealers or suppliers---J&J America is the supplier and try Joe Nielson is a dealer at 1-217-585-1660 for your best deal...besides me.

Lots of Predators were made with the 5/16-14 thread at Falcon Cues in Canada.

I don't know any real history though...I just sell them.:eek:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

As far as I know...your butt and shaft will come from China. Around 4-5 years ago a new factory was built in China to make Predator Cues.

To know more, you can call Predator 1-888-314-4111 in Jacksonville Florida. It's an old number but might be still good.

Or call the biggest Predator dealers or suppliers---J&J America is the supplier and try Joe Nielson is a dealer at 1-217-585-1660 for your best deal...besides me.

Lots of Predators were made with the 5/16-14 thread at Falcon Cues in Canada.

I don't know any real history though...I just sell them.:eek:

That's some great information, poolguy! Ever see a leather wrap on their SP's??? Seems to me Pred controls retail prices quite stringently. Everybody in the world is at $424 or $381. I'm hopin' some of the sites will blow out some more SP4RW's for $280 and I'll just forego the wrap.

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had good luck with customer service, but I also knew several people there including my old teammate at one point in time. Their staff has slimmed down a bit, I was always surprised how small they were even before they lost a few people. Now that I have no direct contacts there, I wonder what my service level would be if I needed it. Of course I could always drive over there and harass them in person if need be... :)

Scott

geocheren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1994 - Predator came out with the 314 shaft, first editions had varying splices and 1" ferrules.
1996 - The 1996 line of cues came out, model numbers 314-1 to 314-6
1998 - The 1998 series came out, model numbers 98-1 to 98-6
1999 - The 1999 series of cues were released, model number 99-1 to 99-6
2000 - The P2 line of cues came out, all P2 butts made in Jacksonville FL
2000 - The 2K line was released, from 2K1 to 2K6, made by Falcon cues
2001 - Predator BK1 was released
2002 - The 3K line was released, switched to UniLoc for pin, also made by Falcon cues.
2003 - Z shaft released, shaft with smaller ferrule and conical taper. The ferrule material was same as 314 shaft, very soft and susceptible to melting when burnishing.
2005 - BK2 was released, moved to phenolic tip.
2006 - Moved factories overseas.
2006 - 314-2 and Z-2 released, shorter ferrules, initially made of Titan, ferrule adhesion issues were noticed on the batches within first year.
2006 - 5K series released, uses 'C4' technology.
2007 - New line of Red veneered SP released.
2007 - BLAK cues came out, also utilizes C4 technology.
2007 - Predator Air released, first Jump cue.
2008 - P3 was released.
2008 - IKON line released, succeeds 5K line, continues with C4
2009 - BLAK 2 cue line released.
2009 - The Quiet Roller rolls into town.
2010 - IKON 2 released?
2011 - New line of 6 pt sneaky petes

Theres been so many different line of cues released in the last 5 years, i lost track....

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator started in Michigan...Allan McCarty and Steve Titus.....Great until they left Michigan, mass producton killed the quality. After 2001 there quality really went in the crapper........my opinion.

Steve Titus started making cues with D. Dieckman. I think Dieckman may still have a few forearms that Titus glued up. I think it was in Dieckmans shop that the first radial spliced butt was made. I also think Dieckman had a little involvement with the development of this shafts too.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Just what I wanted!

1994 - Predator came out with the 314 shaft, first editions had varying splices and 1" ferrules.
1996 - The 1996 line of cues came out, model numbers 314-1 to 314-6
1998 - The 1998 series came out, model numbers 98-1 to 98-6
1999 - The 1999 series of cues were released, model number 99-1 to 99-6
2000 - The P2 line of cues came out, all P2 butts made in Jacksonville FL
2000 - The 2K line was released, from 2K1 to 2K6, made by Falcon cues
2001 - Predator BK1 was released
2002 - The 3K line was released, switched to UniLoc for pin, also made by Falcon cues.
2003 - Z shaft released, shaft with smaller ferrule and conical taper. The ferrule material was same as 314 shaft, very soft and susceptible to melting when burnishing.
2005 - BK2 was released, moved to phenolic tip.
2006 - Moved factories overseas.
2006 - 314-2 and Z-2 released, shorter ferrules, initially made of Titan, ferrule adhesion issues were noticed on the batches within first year.
2006 - 5K series released, uses 'C4' technology.
2007 - New line of Red veneered SP released.
2007 - BLAK cues came out, also utilizes C4 technology.
2007 - Predator Air released, first Jump cue.
2008 - P3 was released.
2008 - IKON line released, succeeds 5K line, continues with C4
2009 - BLAK 2 cue line released.
2009 - The Quiet Roller rolls into town.
2010 - IKON 2 released?
2011 - New line of 6 pt sneaky petes

Theres been so many different line of cues released in the last 5 years, i lost track....

Thanks much! This is just what I wanted! I've owned about eight Preds and one of every shaft made before China. Wish I still had them all (I still have five 314 shafts and one pre-laminate no logo). My favorite Pred green veneer SPW.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

geocheren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks much! This is just what I wanted! I've owned about eight Preds and one of every shaft made before China. Wish I still had them all (I still have five 314 shafts and one pre-laminate no logo). My favorite Pred green veneer SPW.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

from what I hear, all those shafts were made in Jacksonville FL. And that SPW was made by Falcon in Canada.
After they moved manufacturing to Asia, they seemed to release more and more Series of cues, ie: 5K -> IKON ->IKON2, BLAK -> BLAK2, Quiet Roller, Roadline LE, Hoppe LE, P3 LE, 6 Pt Sneakies. All of the Poison brand were made in Asia.
Quality control since they went over to asia (china or taiwan, not sure hear different things) seemed to hit the fan, the first example I can think of is the adhesive issue with the ferrules on the 314-2 and Z-2 shafts when they initially came out. Warping is another thing are frequent with the shafts.

All the LEs were designed by predator
All the SEs were designed and made by the maker, but selected and approved by Predator. SE have manufacturers like Mezz, Jacoby, Samsara, Pechauer, Longoni.

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the SEs were designed and made by the maker, but selected and approved by Predator. SE have manufacturers like Mezz, Jacoby, Samsara, Pechauer, Longoni.

One of my league teammates plays with a Samsara Predator with an OB shaft...

That is a beautiful cue...