Is anyone familiar with flat stroking?

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
The way it looks like its done on a break, it looks like you aim at the bottom of the ball as if you were going to illegally jump it. Then do your practice strokes the on your last stroke your stroke arm comes up then goes down in a scoping motion and the cue ball is hit just below center ( considerably higher than you aimed) or that's the illusion. I'm told its called flat stroking and I've seen some players do it just on the break and some players on every ball. I've seen some Asian players do it. Can't find any specific videos demonstrating it. But if anyone knows what I'm talking about please pm me or explain the mechanics behind it

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way it looks like its done on a break, it looks like you aim at the bottom of the ball as if you were going to illegally jump it. Then do your practice strokes the on your last stroke your stroke arm comes up then goes down in a scoping motion and the cue ball is hit just below center ( considerably higher than you aimed) or that's the illusion. I'm told its called flat stroking and I've seen some players do it just on the break and some players on every ball. I've seen some Asian players do it. Can't find any specific videos demonstrating it. But if anyone knows what I'm talking about please pm me or explain the mechanics behind it

Some do it just to make sure they are at vertical center cb. Easier to find center going from the bottom up than just looking at the center.

benturner

bjt
Silver Member
Practice find your comfort zone! If you want it on the break for cue ball pop ! A stable bridge is a must !

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
What you are talking about may be an upstroke where the tip moves up thru the cueball during the stroke... You mainly see it on the break but back when slow backed cloth was in vogue it was utilized to draw the cueball because it gets the cueball up out of the mud so to speak... You carry the cueball to the object ball by hitting up thru it like you do with the driver in golf.... It may be the best way to draw the oversized cueball on the old bar boxes... I draw the oversized ball almost as well as I can a regular cueball using the technique......

I do not have a video of how to do it but I have taught several people the way I learned it... Think of your bridge as a fulcrum and with the cue being the lever and you are going to leverage thru the bottom of the cueball thru the stroke... 2 ways to get this feel down... 1 is to make sure the butt of your cue finishes lower than you set up or 2 move your grip hand foward until you are running out of stroke at the cueball... You will have to drop the elbow to carry the cuetip thru the contact so you will get an upstroke action as the tip ascends thru contact......

Getting the timing down to use it effectively on power draw will take some time but using it on the break and parking whitey will be an easier task....

Chris

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Power stroke.........

it's one of the best ways to get the power and squat the cue ball.

We called it a power stroke in the day. Never heard it called a flat stroke.

if you could do a slow motion on most pros you would see this kind of stroke on the break.

Good though to bring it to players attention.

Power stroke, flat stroke, scoup stroke. many names over the years used to describe this.

Bottom line is that it works well no matter what you call it.