Shaft wood

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is usually a highly guarded secret but I sure would like to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of shaftwood to get in the pipline. I have heard good and bad about cue components so I am scared to death. I have combed the net and found schmelke - prather - hightower - rolaine - atlas. I am not trying to start a riot or anything but I would appreciate some input even by PM. I do not mind buying dowels or square and turning over time. I sure hate to spend $20+ per shaft unless that is absolutely what I have to do something decent. I bought some 6/4 maple from a local lumberyard to play with and get some different tapers dialed in and the few shafts that I have made sure did not seem to play very good. The wood almost seemed really dry especially when tapping it almost seemed to crumble although the rings and grain looked pretty good.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this is usually a highly guarded secret but I sure would like to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of shaftwood to get in the pipline. I have heard good and bad about cue components so I am scared to death. I have combed the net and found schmelke - prather - hightower - rolaine - atlas. I am not trying to start a riot or anything but I would appreciate some input even by PM. I do not mind buying dowels or square and turning over time. I sure hate to spend $20+ per shaft unless that is absolutely what I have to do something decent. I bought some 6/4 maple from a local lumberyard to play with and get some different tapers dialed in and the few shafts that I have made sure did not seem to play very good. The wood almost seemed really dry especially when tapping it almost seemed to crumble although the rings and grain looked pretty good.

Martin, aka Jazznpool here at AZB. Nuff said. :cool:

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Gold Shafts

I tried some gold shafts from Cuecomponents and was quite happy with the quality. Another cuemaker was surprised when he saw the shafts.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I tried some gold shafts from Cuecomponents and was quite happy with the quality. Another cuemaker was surprised when he saw the shafts.

If you would like the truth about Joe, you can call me. The cease and desist letter, which is a complete joke sent by a joke of a lawyer and has no grounds at all, compels me to refrain from telling the story....again. I simply don't want to give Mike another headache. I have most of the deleted threads on my computer.

Randy Kramer
805-766-6976

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have had a couple dealings with Joe in the past, and never had an issue, but...I can only speak for myself, obviously. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer, and you either like him or you don't, and I suspect he's ok with it either way. :cool: I hope any "advice" I have given was helpful to the OP.
Best regards to all.
j2

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy, I read a bunch of back post a few months ago and I stumbled upon a bunch of stuff between you and Joe. Like I said I have heard both ways many times. I have ordered a few small orders from him and have nothing bad to say myself but I just don't care to take the gamble on a few hundred worth of shaft wood at this point in my cue building endeavor.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Randy, I read a bunch of back post a few months ago and I stumbled upon a bunch of stuff between you and Joe. Like I said I have heard both ways many times. I have ordered a few small orders from him and have nothing bad to say myself but I just don't care to take the gamble on a few hundred worth of shaft wood at this point in my cue building endeavor.

If I ONLY had a few hundred reasons to be upset.....:thumbup:

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only order wood for my breakers from Joe, I have tried a lot of the other bargains and it is hit and miss.

But like anyone, if he is being attacked on the thread, he defends himself if he feels he is wronged. He is protecting his business. I am no a Joe defender, there are things that I got from him (not shafts) that did not live up to the hype and he was very dismissive of me. But when I can get something that I know is a good price and not one of his knockoffs, i'll buy it. Just certain things I will not.

Idealogist has some special shafts coned by Robert Harris. I have Patrick's cell I believe he might be barred from here.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I only order wood for my breakers from Joe, I have tried a lot of the other bargains and it is hit and miss.

But like anyone, if he is being attacked on the thread, he defends himself if he feels he is wronged. He is protecting his business. I am no a Joe defender, there are things that I got from him (not shafts) that did not live up to the hype and he was very dismissive of me. But when I can get something that I know is a good price and not one of his knockoffs, i'll buy it. Just certain things I will not.

He didn't defend himself, he crucified himself. I refuted every claim he made with copies of emails and photographs. In the end he actually "hired" an attorney to get the thread deleted because it made him look so bad. This after saying I could "accuse him of murder and it wouldn't affect his business". I have never lied about what happened and never intend to. Like I said, I kept most of the threads on my computer. The ONLY reason I went to the trouble of bringing up was I give a crap(why I'm not sure, since recently I got attacked by Guerra) about the members here. I NEVER asked "him" for a thing after the very last conversation we had. He made it pretty clear I was stuck with the "awesome" shaftwood he sent me.