Ki-Tech vs Techno-Dud

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anybody try both of these tips and which one is better?

Also what Ki-Tech hardness to choose for "ping" sound and without miscue?

Are these really top tips as advertised?

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Techno dud is excellent. I don't really care for the ping sound thing so, I can't help you there. The dud keeps its shape and is very grabby (grippy).

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the Ki-Tech and found it to be a decent tip.
But for the cost of 1 Ki-Tech I can get about 10 or more Triangles.
I couldn't tell any difference between the two.
So i'm using triangles now.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity. What make is your cue, and what type of joint?

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity. What make is your cue, and what type of joint?

I installed it on Jacoby Ultra shaft and Jacoby cue, radial pin.

I did play few hours and not sure what to tell. hit&feel is somehow still spongy, it did not impress me. I installed MH. I will give it more time these days to see how it performs.

It holds chalk well and creates spin nice.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That may not be the tip for you. And I don't think it will improve. You could try cutting it down and reshaping but the cool thing about these tips is that they maintain they're feel. That is if it feels spongy know it will continue to feel that way. I highly recommend the techno dud. It gives the sensation of grabbing the cueball, without feeling spongy.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Milk or casein soaked leather. Never heard of a milk-dud tip??? Fairly good explanation: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...achinery/milk-dud-press-pool-cue-tips-297503/

Yes I have heard of milk dud tips. For the last few years I have been using milk duds from pooldawg who posts on this site. Not positive but I think he uses elk masters.

The word tech attached to the name of the tip made me wonder is somebody concocted some new substance to make tips out of.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Yes I have heard of milk dud tips. For the last few years I have been using milk duds from pooldawg who posts on this site. Not positive but I think he uses elk masters.

The word tech attached to the name of the tip made me wonder is somebody concocted some new substance to make tips out of.

we use a casein emulsion I formulate from lab grade casiens.. I spent over a year studying casein content in milk and the different subtypes... The tech more or less means it is a milkless milk dud.....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we use a casein emulsion I formulate from lab grade casiens.. I spent over a year studying casein content in milk and the different subtypes... The tech more or less means it is a milkless milk dud.....

Interesting - how would you describe the difference between your duds and a standard milk dud in terms of the hit?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I agree the techno dud is a great tip. I’ve tried all the Ki-tech tips and my favorite two are the medium soft and the dud.

I know the ping sound you’re talking about and I love it. For me, a medium about halfway gone gives a good sound and they play great. Unfortunately, the LD shaft I’ve been using for a couple of years now is missing that solid ping that I liked so much with my solid maple shafts.

My only complaint is that the tips blow apart somewhat frequently during installation. I love the tips when they’re right, but the issues with install are trying my patience. I contacted Chris this last go round when one of the duds I bought blew out like an accordion and he said they have a 2-for-1 replacement policy if the tips fall apart like that when installed correctly. I was told two more duds would be mailed out within the week. That was....about 6 months ago and nothing. I was also chosen to demo his medium soft before they hit the market but, alas, it never arrived. My last order arrived incomplete, although they were quick to fix that.

Like I said, I love the tips when they’re right, but because of the issues I’ve had with install and...other things, I’m currently exploring other options.

Good luck!

Like got lost in the Derby Shuffle... This was the first time we did the 10ball Bigfoot and the actual 9ball main event... Drop em a line and I will get them out tomorrow.. IF you want hard Ki-techs in place that is 100% fine...

As far as the softer tips generally they need to be damp cut.. Blackburn gets away with a new razor blade but I am not so smoooooooth LOL.. I use a damp sponge and hit them between passes. Between the porousity of the leather and the treatment of them they hate heat in a bad way. We have swapped to a 2 step press process press process and identify more problem tips from step 1 but popcorns can still sneak thru

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Interesting - how would you describe the difference between your duds and a standard milk dud in terms of the hit?

Really hard for me to say. I do not think they are as hard as the ones I played with years ago but possibly some others have had more recent experiences. The only reason we did the Techno-Dud was at the request of Joe Blackburn... He informed me there were no consistent duds for his customers and after 2 years of asking I watched the local installer order from a bunch of different places and none of them tested the same even from the same maker. Thus the lab grade emulsion so all of the tips test the same regardless of batch..

Joe helped evaluate the different versions and we ended up with one that is a medium, with high elasticity, that performs like a soft at slow speeds and has a backbone when hit hard... I can't even really compare it to any of the Ki-Techs as they kind of stand on their own. We have several pro players using them but I am not sponsoring them so I cannot really say who they are as that would be using them more or less as advertising..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I installed 2 techno duds today. Customer supplied. They both trimmed differently. One is definately softer.