What kind of metal file is best? (for retipping a cue)

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently I have a metal file that is not doing a good job. It always looks like I have smoothed out the cuts (from cutting down the 14mm tip to a 13mm size shaft)
but after wetting the sides of the tip and using a dollar billl to smooth out (burnish) the sides of the tip after I am done I can see all the cuts (they reappear. The sides of the tip were not smoothed out well enough. Although it looks like they were prior to burnishing) I made from cutting the 14mm tip down to fit a 13mm pool cue shaft.

So what I need is a metal file that actually smoothes the cuts out (from cutting down the 14 mm tip to a 13mm tip after I glue the 14 mm tip on to the 13mm pool cue shaft). What I am currently using is not working and I want a file that works well.

Can you please recommend a good metal file to use instead (or any other advice you have)? Thank you

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
what type of hammer is best to use to hit the end of a screwdriver ???? asking for a friend

Kim

tsp&b

Silver Member
Just use a small piece of 220 sand paper then touch off with 500 or 600 and then burnish with the back side of the sand paper.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you tell us more about how you install tips?
Are you using a lathe?
Thanks
Gary

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you tell us more about how you install tips?
Are you using a lathe?
Thanks
Gary

No lathe. I'm not a cue builder. I put my own tips on. I use a razor. loctite glue and a handeld device which gets the old glue and tip off the ferrule and a metal file which apparently is not good to use.

Video I used to learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHlJUye9zI (for more info)

Thank you.

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what type of hammer is best to use to hit the end of a screwdriver ???? asking for a friend

Kim

Get a nice Mallot-
stay away from hammers when all possible-
a heavy hammer will certainly spilt a cue shaft,
like a piece of firewood-

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
No lathe. I'm not a cue builder. I put my own tips on. I use a razor. loctite glue and a handeld device which gets the old glue and tip off the ferrule and a metal file which apparently is not good to use.

Video I used to learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHlJUye9zI (for more info)

Thank you.

That video should be banned.
Good Lord. Facing the ferrule with that sandpaper should be a crime.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a drill and rig up a small homemade lathe at least. Forget the file.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a drill and rig up a small homemade lathe at least. Forget the file.

Checked out some youtube videos of making a homemade lathe from a drill. Requires a lot tools I don't have. Can you buy really cheap mini lathe or something? Or possilbly a diy homemade lathe already made? Like what is the ballpark figure. Did some searching but I would rather ask someone who knows what I need already. How about recommending one? Thanks

Last edited:

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checked out some youtube videos of making a homemade lathe from a drill. Requires a lot tools I don't have. Can you buy really cheap mini lathe or something? Or possilbly a diy homemade lathe already made? Like what is the ballpark figure. Did some searching but I would rather ask someone who knows what I need already. How about recommending one? Thanks

The gentleman that you just quoted above could probably tell you a thing or two about cue equipment.

Keith

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These lathes are hundreds of dollars. I think I will just send it to a pro in the future. thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did not know it was a stupid question. Thanks for the reply on how you do it.

I'T'S ALL GOOD ….
Just a little humor amongst the azr's….
"Go to youtube-
search cue tip installation-
there are several-
"take some time-
watch as many as you can,
several times-
and be patient-

"only 1 vid I saw shows where the ferrule is masked off-even at the end-
so in case of excess glue-will not get on the ferrule-
I really like that-I use tape,