Can AZB Win Back Top Pros and Instructors?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To what exactly are you referring to? At the moment, "the mods" is me.

Mike

Bashing other aiming systems - 06-28-2017, 04:07 PM
OK, apparently this needs to be said again. I do not want to see anyone bashing another aiming system in any way.

If you have a positive experience with an aiming system, then feel free to post it. If you want to discuss the merits of an aiming system, then feel free. But for now, I don't want any comparisons as we all know that will just turn into bashing.

It is amazing to me that we have more reported posts about aiming systems than we do about politics.

This is going to be handled like baseball.

First offense will be a two week vacation.
Second offense will be a month.
Third will be a year.

This sticky and the 200 or so posts in the last week by someone who just got off a 2 and a half year ban

JC

Coos Cues
Bashing other aiming systems - 06-28-2017, 04:07 PM
OK, apparently this needs to be said again. I do not want to see anyone bashing another aiming system in any way.

If you have a positive experience with an aiming system, then feel free to post it. If you want to discuss the merits of an aiming system, then feel free. But for now, I don't want any comparisons as we all know that will just turn into bashing.

It is amazing to me that we have more reported posts about aiming systems than we do about politics.

This is going to be handled like baseball.

First offense will be a two week vacation.
Second offense will be a month.
Third will be a year.

This sticky and the 200 or so posts in the last week by someone who just got off a 2 and a half year ban

What kind of person would report a post? Any post?

:confused::confused::confused:

JC

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While I admire the few top pros and instructors who choose to interact with the forum, Scott Lee and Dr Dave especially, why on earth should such people post unless it somehow improves their prospects for earning a living at their trades? I think we need to give these posters free rein to use AZB for their own marketing purposes. I'd say the same for Mike Page, who often posts here and Danny Harriman, too. They are not here primarily to offer a lot of in-depth analysis and long answers to profound, thought provoking, questions, but they are here to build their brands.

While I appreciate their contributions, such posters are not the backbone of the AZB forum. They never were and never will be. They don't need courting or huge amounts of positive reinforcement and are comfortable in this sometimes contentious environment.

AZB is, in my eyes, about the pool enthusiast, who a) cares about where they can play, b) cares about the game's history and lore, c) enjoys conversing about the game's equipment and the game's theory, d) enjoys watching the pro game, e) and who competes at a level lower than pro. AZB is about learning about the pool scenes elsewhere, whether you're from Europe, Asia, or America.

AZB is a place where there is no rank. The person who joined the forum a week ago has the same voice as the person who joined ten years ago, and that's a healthy situation. Sometimes, the newbie has forgotten more about pool than many members know. The threads here are collaborations among those interested in a topic, not just those specially qualified to weigh in on a given topic. I, for one, like it that way.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
While I admire the few top pros and instructors who choose to interact with the forum, Scott Lee and Dr Dave especially, why on earth should such people post unless it somehow improves their prospects for earning a living at their trades? I think we need to give these posters free rein to use AZB for their own marketing purposes. I'd say the same for Mike Page, who often posts here and Danny Harriman, too. They are not here primarily to offer a lot of in-depth analysis and long answers to profound, thought provoking, questions, but they are here to build their brands.

While I appreciate their contributions, such posters are not the backbone of the AZB forum. They never were and never will be. They don't need courting or huge amounts of positive reinforcement and are comfortable in this sometimes contentious environment.

AZB is, in my eyes, about the pool enthusiast, who a) cares about where they can play, b) cares about the game's history and lore, c) enjoys conversing about the game's equipment and the game's theory, d) enjoys watching the pro game, e) and who competes at a level lower than pro. AZB is about learning about the pool scenes elsewhere, whether you're from Europe, Asia, or America.

AZB is a place where there is no rank. The person who joined the forum a week ago has the same voice as the person who joined ten years ago, and that's a healthy situation. Sometimes, the newbie has forgotten more about pool than many members know. The threads here are collaborations among those interested in a topic, not just those specially qualified to weigh in on a given topic. I, for one, like it that way.

Not only have I NOT forgotten more than most members ever knew, but I've forgotten more than **I** ever knew! I'm lucky I can still find my cues and they're sitting right here next to my desk. And, to make it even worse, I played for @ an hour today with a prominent AZ'r ( who shall remain nameless ) and I couldn't hit a cow in the A55 with a SHOVEL. And even if I was lucky enough to HAVE hit said cow in said A55 with said shovel, I *wouldn't* have gotten even a "Moo!".

Some days... sighs.

Moo.

But I AM kicking the big C's A55!

Ohhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dance:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Frankly, I feel AZB should worry more about gathering new members in general, including casual players, league players, as well as the more advanced ones, all the way to pros. Having the pros and instructors here is great and all, but without masses of newer players who could learn from them, the opportunity to spread popularity of pool is partially lost. This situation can be related to the inevitable question which pops up periodically - the question about the future of pool. This is only my personal opinion, so I won't preach it as an absolute truth, but I firmly believe that pool community in general should focus on greatly increasing the number of casual and league players, especially young ones. This includes more pool in youth centers, bars, game rooms, schools where possible etc.

I also want to emphasize the need for creation of new leagues both in and outside of US. In my area of Europe, for example, there's nothing resembling APA. People here tend to wonder why we don't play by international rules. Well, there aren't any official organized low level competitions for pool players here. Having a league like that would undoubtedly increase pool popularity in general, as well as motivate some of the casual and low level players to invest more time in the game and get better. Even if only one out of 50 casuals and bar bangers enters a league, one out of 50 league players becomes good enough to compete in local and regional tournaments, and the tiniest fraction of those tournament players heads in the direction of a professional career, it becomes obvious that spreading pool popularity among masses of casuals would inevitably lead to a much more prosperous tournament and professional scene.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Mike,

It’s not necessarily about making a buck although you might in fact do that. What the pay to post will do is filter out the weeds. You could also grandfather in users who have been contributing to start off with a fall new member will be a pay to post. It would allow you to get a handle on things easier. Let internal bots filter language and key words and warn users automatically of behavior and only after say 3 warnings do you step in. Probably save you a ton of time and aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Pay to contribute plus have your content filtered....wonderful idea :shakehead:...a little Orwellian except one pays for the pleasure. :nono:

Site destruction...

JC

Coos Cues
Surely, you jest.

Would you like names?

I can give you quite a few.

Of course I jest.:thumbup:

I know the names well and deeply regret not being kinder to them in elementary school.

Who knew they would grow up to command such authority? :sorry:

JC

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
I noticed that you do website work for a living and know what you are talking about here.

I am very interested in what plugins you are referring to when you talk about them making the moderation and dealing with trolls easier.

Mike

I will pm you in support of staying on topic.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay to contribute plus have your content filtered....wonderful idea :shakehead:...a little Orwellian except one pays for the pleasure. :nono:

Site destruction...

Do that and you really will make this site a ghost town.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What I find hard to understand is why the pros have to post on THIS site? Clearly the OP thinks a great number of us are simply vermin, whose opinions are not Worth having and he claims that viewpoint is widely held by pros. Which, you know, isn't all that endearing of a quality. I don't care if you can put balls in the Pockets, I'm not going to worship anyone With that kind of mindset. Why not help the pros create their own site, over which they can have absolute Control? Fast Larry ran his own forum for years, alone I think as well. Clearly it's not by any means impossible, although it's probably more work than taking over someone elses hard work and customer base. If you are right about this being someone People are dying to get, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else. In fact it would be good business.

I honestly think there might be at least a niche market for such a Pro site. I would not go there, personally, but I imagine a lot would, and would be delighted to even pay to have Exchanges With their favorite pros, no matter how bland that interaction would be. I mean, nobody would get Rich, but maybe it would be some Pocket Money for pros who are not doing to well financially. If one was really enterprising, it could be combined With sales of one-on-one lessons, or even video lessons. Good Money could be made, then, even by pros of yesteryear.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Of course I jest.:thumbup:

I know the names well and deeply regret not being kinder to them in elementary school.

Who knew they would grow up to command such authority?
:sorry:

JC

And, emotionally, still be in elementary school...

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Being knowledgeable and skilled in pool has nothing to do with being a pro.

Being a pro only means that they are making money in some manner from pool.

Do you think pros only got their knowledge and skill when they went pro and not before?

To play at the pro level requires one to be knowledgeable and skilled first, not after becoming a pro.

The state of the current tournament play is what is keeping a lot of players from going pro.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
As you well know, I have you on Ignore so I don't have to read your incessant drivel.

Nonetheless, a friend advised me to look at this recent post of yours.

As you also know well, what happen with JS was that a third party told him that I had said something negative about him, presumably online. I don't know what it was alleged that I said. So JS confronted me at the US One Pocket Open many years ago and was very belligerent. I stood there not understanding why he was going off on me and after several tense minutes he eventually stomped off.

The next year JS approached me at the DCC and apologized.

He told that someone had said I had said something negative about him (to this day I don't know what that was) and when he told that party that he had confronted me that unknown individual back-peddled and admitted that I hadn't said anything at all. John and I shook hands and every year thereafter, when we see each other at the DCC we greet each other cordially.

You know all of this to be true but you would rather purposely lie.

Lou Figueroa
Nothing I posted was a lie. It's exactly how I recall it happened. What happened after the details in my post is unknown to me. It was my recollection that the incident I brought up had nothing to do with something said, rather, it had to do with you trolling him to death in regards to cleaning balls mid-run, which you clearly did here. That might jog your memory.

And please stop with the theatrics with having to crawl out from behind an ignore function. We all know it's baloney. Then again, maybe you do need a "safe space" Captain Snowflake ❄ ;-)

Howerton:
I don't think a single solitary pro or instructor has ever left your site due to healthy debate. If you xan name one, I'd be shocked. They always leave due to disgusting mob-mentality stemming from pile-on insults and constructed agitation. It's a shame.

Would most golf sites climb Mt. Everest in flip flops, without Sherpas, to have Brooks and Tiger post? Zero doubt. Would those sites allow them to get trolled to death? Zero chance. Do they post on open forums? Never. You actually had that awesome dynamic here at one time and lost it. Pool is one of the only sports where pros are accessible. They came, were violently attacked (many times by Lou Figueroa) and left. If this were my site, I'd attract them, protect them and not contribute to the effort of chasing them off to other platforms.

You mentioned that a lot of AZB's traffic has been lost to social media. Why do you think that is? This seems to be the unified source of info, so why lose any traffic? The answer is because a lot of people view these forums as a cesspool. Meaning, it's a somewhat of the wild west in regards to mob mentality, bullying, trolling etc.

Every single banning I ever received was due to "offsetting" those who violently troll Stan, Ron (RIP) and Hal (RIP). I created this thread knowing at least half of the community would be disgusted at the idea of having more pros around if it meant they had to be treated with respect. Many of these people would rather circle-jerk each other's egos (those who are losers at pool to elevate other losers at pool and vice-versa) than to risk having those who aren't losers at pool keep the heavy weight of "reality" on their shoulders all of the time. Those who are deemed pool scientists here can't draw their rock if a gun were held to their head and most of the info is moot when it comes down to actual execution (fact). Imagine a pro telling XYZ scientist that none of that crap matters when running a rack lol.

People come to AZB for drama and conflict and go to FB for actual content for their favorite players, that's a fact. Over time, traffic for forums of all kinds will continue to dwindle unless they do something DIFFERENT. It's a shame you'd even remotely think this is a trolling thread. The future of this forum is Jimbos Army in the long run if nothing is done. It's a statistical fact. Sorry, but Lou Figueroa doesn't have the star power to attract new viewers 😂 and members.... ;-) << his little move.

Dave

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing against Dr. Dave or anybody else, but I'd rather have a talkative Earl Strickland on here than all the "instructors" and "pool scientists" combined on AZB.

I like both. But pros like Earl generally don’t give away their secrets because they can’t. Being good at something and knowing how to be good at something are two different things. Yes, yer average elite player can explain the basics well enough but a “pool scientist”or whatever you want to call them can usually explain it better for the lay person.

What would be interesting would be the occasional feature where a pro explains why they played a certain shot the way they did.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like both. But pros like Earl generally don’t give away their secrets because they can’t. Being good at something and knowing how to be good at something are two different things. Yes, yer average elite player can explain the basics well enough but a “pool scientist”or whatever you want to call them can usually explain it better for the lay person.

What would be interesting would be the occasional feature where a pro explains why they played a certain shot the way they did.

Excellent post!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, FB is now becoming more extinct with the millennials who are moving towards other social media platforms. It's all about instant gratification.

I think the pros and instructors and others check AzBilliards Discussion Forum, mainly to see what's new that may be happening. They want to be kept up to date.

A lot of people prefer to lurk and read, which is safe, of course.

People are spending so much time on their iPhones, FB, the computer, these days. They even have apps to control the usage now.

The biggest thing coming on the horizon that will kick FB's butt and putting it out to pasture along with MySpace, et cetera, is AI, but that's a topic for another thread. ;)

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm sorry. Were you at the incident that you describe when it happened? Are you recalling something that happened or something you heard about something that happened?

So can I just say that "I heard" that something happened and then proudly proclaim that I didn't lie when someone who was there says it didn't happen?

Nothing I posted was a lie. It's exactly how I recall it happened. What happened after the details in my post is unknown to me. It was my recollection that the incident I brought up had nothing to do with something said, rather, it had to do with you trolling him to death in regards to cleaning balls mid-run, which you clearly did here. That might jog your memory.