US Open 10 ball , Really?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
These events hold a place in my tender heart. When I first started playing pool I would look up videos of players names I knew and I found the 2015 or 16 us open 8 ball, and from there I watched and watched and learned everything I could. Those csi videos were my introduction to pool.

That said I understand the sentiment here and it is sad. I think csi is trying to get something going but it's hard to attract players without the money and hard to make money without the support. I hope they do catch on more though and become another running set of great tournaments.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think prize money is about the same as Turning Stone. It's just entry and perhaps expenses for players is a lot more.

6 players with an 800+ Fargo.

Turning stone is usually just Shane and Shaw.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That IS pretty crappy payout for something that's billed as "US Open". It's great for a local or tour event. It's a $600 entry fee, plus hundreds of dollars at least in flights and hotel. Maybe the top 5-6 player will even break even on playing in that.

This isn't to criticize the organizers but it's an indication of the sorry state of the sport overall. Contrast that to the 2019 US Open Golf tournament which paid out $21k to the 79th, i.e. the LAST PLACE finisher who makes the cut for the main event.
I get what you are saying and not looking to argue... But can we try to stay positive just for a little while. We, as fans, share in the promotion of pool, and if we are always complaining about it, it will never get better.
CSI has the best streams in my opinion, you can tell Mark has put a crap load of work in that. Good angles, good quality, good commentary. I know it's not always perfect... and after a short time, all their videos are posted to YouTube for free to watch.
Agreed on the expenses, but, I'm not sure another city could support all the pool action Vegas has in the past month and couple weeks to come.

Everyone take a breath... and... say it with me now... it's getting better. Better than it's been in a long time.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a start, CSI should remove the association with "US Open" cos it negatively leads to comparison with the "US Open 9 ball".
They should call it "CSI Las Vegas 10 ball" and "CSI Las Vegas 8 ball" and ride on the brand of the iconic ratings hit which at its height has 30 million viewers and 70+ million worldwide. Maybe that will attract quite a number of viewers from the show, no? :grin-square:

csilv.JPG

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps they should have scheduled these tournaments immediately after the world 10 ball and maybe they would have gotten more participants

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's nice for CSI to create a tournament for the players , however someone will walk away with a US Open Crown on paper that will be viewed the same as any US Open 9 ball ,
I simply can't see it in that light

but who ever compared the us open 10-ball, straight etc to the real us open? to me it's not a us open crown in that regard. still nice to see it happen, shouldn't be ppv though

didn't they use to play this on them small tables you have over there? atleast they are not doing that. i hated when i clicked a youtube video only to see it was child tables

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but who ever compared the us open 10-ball, straight etc to the real us open? to me it's not a us open crown in that regard. still nice to see it happen, shouldn't be ppv though

didn't they use to play this on them small tables you have over there? atleast they are not doing that. i hated when i clicked a youtube video only to see it was child tables

There was a time about 8 or 9 years ago when they had a much better turnout for the us open 10 ball when it was at the riviera. Don’t know why it was so much better, but I think they got at least double the number of participants

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Say what you want, but the last sixteen players look pretty strong to me. And 10K on top is better than any Euro Tour event. It's not such a bad deal when a champion player can win 10K (twice!) against relatively small fields. Comparable to many of the sixteen man invitationals we have been seeing with much higher entry fees. Free streaming would have been nice and probably increased the interest in this event exponentially. Damn I wanted to get in the box with Jeremy. Maybe one of these days when I grow up. ;)

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a start, CSI should remove the association with "US Open" cos it negatively leads to comparison with the "US Open 9 ball".
They should call it "CSI Las Vegas 10 ball" and "CSI Las Vegas 8 ball" and ride on the brand of the iconic ratings hit which at its height has 30 million viewers and 70+ million worldwide. Maybe that will attract quite a number of viewers from the show, no? :grin-square:

View attachment 526712

This is exactly what I mean. Matchroom already gave up 9-Ball WC because there was 10-Ball WC which they did not like. We now have 9-Ball WC on Qatar. God knows how long..
U.S Open 9-ball now is best hope to Pool improve and getting out from hole. I don´t want to see Matchroom pull away from that.
I compare U.S open 8- 10- etc directly to U.S Open 9-Ball because they use name "U.S Open".
Foreign Pros can´t really travel to U.S for those kinda tournaments if they are not there already.

P.S Jay, Eurotour is only for ranking points to Mosconi and WC. Payouts are pathetic. Even Finnish handicapped tournaments have almost same.