TAD - Old School Master

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys..
1st.
To the Two TAD Collectors : Thank You for the honor and inspiring request.
Congrats on your "Monster" TAD Collections.
A most challenging request.
Especially, to an "Old School Master", Tad Kohara.

" It's easier to be the 1st guy, than the 2nd guy trying to copy the 1st guy" - Alton Takata

Attachments

• TAD Ebony 8112019 s.jpg
    TAD Ebony 8112019 s.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAD Kohara

Another challenging design.
Size, porportions, scale,.... all come into play.
There is no Science to this.
So much to take into account. so much things to remember.
so much things needed to complete the machine work.
So much things have to come together, to achieve the final result.

Hours of planing and trial and error.
Countless amounts of jigs and special work holding devices needed to do the components.
Is it worth all that trouble?
Maybe before.. but, not now..
There is nothing. all that time and effort.
Wonder why we do this LOL :wink:
Murphy's Law rules.
LOL :)

" My time is over.. TAD Kohara has shown me this".- Alton Takata :D

Thank You for viewing Alton

Attachments

• TAD BEM 82019 s.jpg
    TAD BEM 82019 s.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 923

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Alton, can’t wait to receive them! You did an outstanding job as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Outstanding & genuinely appreciated work, as always, Alton.
If the time is approaching, and/or has come...
Know that you made a special place for all of us to visit & share.
All the best to you always, and thank you.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Those are really nice,the cues and caps.
Both are very classy yet bad ass at the
same time. .

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You

Tim, Chris, Ken, Triley... Thank You for posting and your warmth, kindness, and appreciation.
It is heartfelt and deeply appreciated. :)

<><><><>
May I explain a bit more about the White TAD Cue Cap...

The Elongated Hex Windows/panels are Ebony.
The Scalloped Oval has a Slotted Diamond as the center piece.
That Slotted Diamond's size, is, about the smallest you can get, ( With the smallest Diameter End Mills ( Cutting tools) to achieve a desirable visual effect. )

That being said, that Slotted Diamond is now the size that all the other Inlays and design features are based on for the sizes and proportions.
Because of this, and, the size/diameter limitations of a Joint Protector, and, TAD's Joint ring, being an 8 indexed theme,
I could not fit 8 Ebony Hex Windows around the circumfrence, lining up with the Joint Ring.
8 was too much, 6 Ebony Window spacing left a wide space between the adjacent Window, upseting the correct proportions of the Theme of the Cue.
I had to use an index of 7.
so, that is why the Ebony Windows do not line up with the Joint Ring Squares.
When doing a 7 index machining, the a axis setting can no be the "Usual" 400 step cycle.
THe Mach 3 will not be able to "Dial in" on the degrees that are going into the 4th Decimal Place. ( ie. 51.4285* ).
In degrees, on a small circumference, 1/100 of a degree can not be seen.
But, just in case, I "Punch/type in" the Absolute Value of the degrees each time, reseting the A Axis to Zero.
That way, even if it is happening or not, I get the exact readout on the dialog box.

"To make a long story short, would mean leaving out much needed information" - Alton Takata :)

I did line up the 1st. Main Feature with the Joint Ring Box, but, as you can see, the others will not be "Inline".
Although, 180* of the 1st. lined up Inlay, the sub feature ( Middle dots) align with the Joint Ring.
Thank You for viewing.
Alton

Reply to post below:
Thank You Cyrex, J2pac, Paul, Sean, and, Snooker T. - Thanks for posting :)

Attachments

• TAD BEM 82019 s.jpg
    TAD BEM 82019 s.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys..
1st.
To the Two TAD Collectors : Thank You for the honor and inspiring request.
Congrats on your "Monster" TAD Collections.
A most challenging request.
Especially, to an "Old School Master", Tad Kohara.

" It's easier to be the 1st guy, than the 2nd guy trying to copy the 1st guy" - Alton Takata

Your joint protectors are a thing of beauty

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim, Chris, Ken, Triley... Thank You for posting and your warmth, kindness, and appreciation.
It is heartfelt and deeply appreciated. :)

<><><><>
May I explain a bit more about the White TAD Cue Cap...

The Elongated Hex Windows/panels are Ebony.
The Scalloped Oval has a Slotted Diamond as the center piece.
That Slotted Diamond's size, is, about the smallest you can get, ( With the smallest Diameter End Mills ( Cutting tools) to achieve a desirable visual effect. )

That being said, that Slotted Diamond is now the size that all the other Inlays and design features are based on for the sizes and proportions.
Because of this, and, the size/diameter limitations of a Joint Protector, and, TAD's Joint ring, being an 8 indexed theme,
I could not fit 8 Ebony Hex Windows around the circumfrence, lining up with the Joint Ring.
8 was too much, 6 Ebony Window spacing left a wide space between the adjacent Window, upseting the correct proportions of the Theme of the Cue.
I had to use an index of 7.
so, that is why the Ebony Windows do not line up with the Joint Ring Squares.
When doing a 7 index machining, the a axis setting can no be the "Usual" 400 step cycle.
THe Mach 3 will not be able to "Dial in" on the degrees that are going into the 4th Decimal Place. ( ie. 51.4285* ).
In degrees, on a small circumference, 1/100 of a degree can not be seen.
But, just in case, I "Punch/type in" the Absolute Value of the degrees each time, reseting the A Axis to Zero.
That way, even if it is happening or not, I get the exact readout on the dialog box.

"To make a long story short, would mean leaving out much needed information" - Alton Takata :)

I did line up the 1st. Main Feature with the Joint Ring Box, but, as you can see, the others will not be "Inline".
Although, 180* of the 1st. lined up Inlay, the sub feature ( Middle dots) align with the Joint Ring.
Thank You for viewing.
Alton

Reply to post below:
Thank You Cyrex, J2pac, Paul, Sean, and, Snooker T. - Thanks for posting :)
This was such a unique and thoughtful post which highlights the time and effort that must go into some of these designs.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Snooker T...

1st. Thank You for posting Cyrex, J2pac, Paul, Sean, Billiardscollec, and, Snooker T. :smile:

Snooker T.. Thank You for saying that.
I do try to do my part in helping Cue Enthusiast learn and understand more about the cues , cue history, and, the cuemakers that create them.

Somehow, to be complete, I tend to believe knowledge and understanding the deeper side of Cuemaking,
would ultimatly make the whole Cue experience more enjoyable, as, to appreciate what the cuemakers go thur to achieve what they are today.

I am not out for being a"Know-it -all" guy, as, I have no interest to become "Famous", and, no one could possibility "Know Everything".. :smile:

" Ignorance is not a bad word, but, it does cause a lot of problems" - Alton Takata

Since I am here, I might as well post this old Monster TAD Cue , owned by Eric "Fatboy" Petersen. :smile:

FATBOY, WHERE ARE YOU :p

Thank You all, for viewing...
Alton :smile:

Added to reply on next page:

Thank You Ralf G. ( Big-Tattoo) :smile:

Attachments

• TAD Ivory Crown 2 Collage s.jpg
    TAD Ivory Crown 2 Collage s.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
1st. Thank You for posting Cyrex, J2pac, Paul, Sean, Billiardscollec, and, Snooker T. :smile:

Snooker T.. Thank You for saying that.
I do try to do my part in helping Cue Enthusiast learn and understand more about the cues , cue history, and, the cuemakers that create them.

Somehow, to be complete, I tend to believe knowledge and understanding the deeper side of Cuemaking,
would ultimatly make the whole Cue experience more enjoyable, as, to appreciate what the cuemakers go thur to achieve what they are today.

I am not out for being a"Know-it -all" guy, as, I have no interest to become "Famous", and, no one could possibility "Know Everything".. :smile:

" Ignorance is not a bad word, but, it does cause a lot of problems" - Alton Takata

Since I am here, I might as well post this old Monster TAD Cue , owned by Eric "Fatboy" Petersen. :smile:

FATBOY, WHERE ARE YOU :p

Thank You all, for viewing...
Alton :smile:

Damnnnnnn:thumbup:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your work is legendary.................your contributions will be missed forever
I don’t understand...is he no longer making caps? I am joining the TAD party recently so do not know everyone.

But I need joint protectors made to match mine.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Future TAD Inlays

Hi Ralf. Hi Jimmy. Hi Rich. :smile:
Jimmy,. We all had some fun times :D
Man, the cues was flowing back then.... :smile:

Rich ... :smile: I am not in business.
I do, ocassionally.. Like now.. The Collector(s) is from a group that I've known for a long time...
No disrspect to anyone. :smile:

Since I posted/bumped this to the top..
I might as well show something..
Here's some small Ebony Inlays for a TAD Crown I am finishing up now..
Point Tip ,
0.040 " x 0.065" x 600" Ebony Veneer
Ebony Veneer "Bridge"
Ebony Clover,
Ebony MOP Dot Border/Bezel.

Thanks for viewing. :smile:
Alton

Attachments

• TAD Points and Clover m.jpg
    TAD Points and Clover m.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 93