Pool tables at bars will not die. Probably.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a list of all the bars and places I could think that would have a pool table in my area. After writing down the places I knew had tables I began calling the other places. I stopped call once I got 9 places called and 7 of the places had a table. It seems every bar place has at least one pool table. So even if the one pool hall closes the bars will still have places to play pool. Unless the places that collects the money and such closes and takes away the tables. But even then there will still be bars that have their own pool table. So that eases my mind a bit.

I was planning on going to every place and playing pool at every bar. But for now I will stick with the pool hall and ask them where they recommend playing pool. It got to much of a task to go everywhere.

After I called the places I called and wrote down the places I had listed. I had 18 places to play pool and I was not even a 3rd done with my list.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you?

In my experience, once you get accustomed to a proper pool room, bars are a disappointment.

Like I said before: any pool is better than no pool. That said, bar pool is often a let-down

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you?

In my experience, once you get accustomed to a proper pool room, bars are a disappointment.

Like I said before: any pool is better than no pool. That said, bar pool is often a let-down

I agree if for instance my one pool hall closes and all I have to play on are bad tables at bars it would not be the same. But if pool is something I truly like then I would keep playing. Just like how since I live on my own I eat store bought tortillas. And only once in a while can I have home made tortillas. but a store bought tortilla is better than no tortilla.

Also i have answered that question before. I live in South Dakota. I will not say anymore than that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a question?? A statement?? A hope?? Look, once bars re-open there will be bar pool in all its shitty, un-level, beer stained "glory". Yee-haw.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You need to call all of them back and find out what their tortilla situation is.

Sent from the future.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a list of all the bars and places I could think that would have a pool table in my area. After writing down the places I knew had tables I began calling the other places. I stopped call once I got 9 places called and 7 of the places had a table. It seems every bar place has at least one pool table. So even if the one pool hall closes the bars will still have places to play pool. Unless the places that collects the money and such closes and takes away the tables. But even then there will still be bars that have their own pool table. So that eases my mind a bit.
I was planning on going to every place and playing pool at every bar. But for now I will stick with the pool hall and ask them where they recommend playing pool. It got to much of a task to go everywhere.
After I called the places I called and wrote down the places I had listed. I had 18 places to play pool and I was not even a 3rd done with my list.
And....you can win a good deal of money in bars, without hassles or trouble, IF YOU KEEP THE BETS low and don't bet too high. I mean keep them in the $3.00 - $5.00 level.
And if somebody starts wanting to bet more, you just say...."Aw man I can't bet money like that. We're just having a little friendly fun type betting thing here. I get nervous for higher stakes. Can't we just keep it like it is?"
If he keeps hassling about "I want a chance to get my money back" and you see his temper rising, you just say..."Hey pardner I don't want any animosity or enemies.... this is just harmless fun betting to me. What if I just give half of what you lost back to you and we shake hands and call it quits? How about that?"
You'll be amazed over a period of a week exactly how much extra cash you'll end up with by doing it this way and nobody will want to beat you up. Furthermore most of the people will LIKE you and you can develop a nice 'customer' base.
With that many spots available, just work them like the old time milk delivery man did. Make your rounds and "service your accounts".
Good wishes to you.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the day that I cannot find a decent 9 footer to play on regularly, I either sell my entire multi thousand billiard collection and give up on the game as a player, or build an extension on this home here in Fl, since there are no basements here like in the NE, and return to having my own billiard room. I cannot see myself enjoying 7 footers, esp since I like `14.1 - bars and 7 footers are just a fill- in for me and always have been.

I don't smoke, don't drink when playing pool, and don't like arguing about $5 bets with idiots.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
And....you can win a good deal of money in bars, without hassles or trouble, IF YOU KEEP THE BETS low and don't bet too high. I mean keep them in the $3.00 - $5.00 level.
And if somebody starts wanting to bet more, you just say...."Aw man I can't bet money like that. We're just having a little friendly fun type betting thing here. I get nervous for higher stakes. Can't we just keep it like it is?"
If he keeps hassling about "I want a chance to get my money back" and you see his temper rising, you just say..."Hey pardner I don't want any animosity or enemies.... this is just harmless fun betting to me. What if I just give half of what you lost back to you and we shake hands and call it quits? How about that?"
You'll be amazed over a period of a week exactly how much extra cash you'll end up with by doing it this way and nobody will want to beat you up. Furthermore most of the people will LIKE you and you can develop a nice 'customer' base.
With that many spots available, just work them like the old time milk delivery man did. Make your rounds and "service your accounts".
Good wishes to you.

You failed to mention how not to get raped though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good wishes to you.
Played much bar pool? I played a TON of it in the 80's and THE worst fight i ever personally witnessed was over a $5 game of eight-ball. Gambling in bars is ALWAYS a risky proposition. If you're playing someone you don't know you have no idea who/what you're dealing with. Playing a pool-player is usually ok but when playing suckers it can get funny. Quik.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will give up pool playing if I could only play on 7’ tables. I strictly play on 9’ or larger pool tables.
If I play basketball, or just shoot hoops, the height of the basket is 10’, not the kindergarten hoops.

The measure of one’s skills is based entirely & solely on the difficulty of the confronting challenge.
I learned on 9’ & 10’ pool tables back in the early 60’s & that’s my minimum standard for any table.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did the same.

Good wishes to you.

I did the same thing for many years. First couple years I was a moron and got in a few fights. After that I never got in a fight over a challenge table and I learned every one within over a hundred miles in one direction, thirty or forty in the rest of the circuit. When I was out of work I paid the mortgage on my home and a piece of commercial property, and I didn't miss any meals. I did let them raise the bet if they wanted to but I never raised the bet to over five dollars myself.

Usually I just made a nice paycheck. Union construction paid nine and a nickel an hour then so if I could make fifteen to twenty bucks an hour on a pool table with no fuss I was fine with that. When the would be hustlers or road players came along I was fine with that too! I loved to play pool big table or little, loved snooker too so I didn't care what I played on. My favorite tables are ten footers, pool or snooker. Can't be picky though!

Weekends or when I wasn't working a day job I tuned for a few hours on a snooker table then gambled on often bar tables. It was slaughter! I called the bar table scene "chopping wood". I wasn't trying for a big score, just making a few bucks while enjoying myself. Most nights a would be hustler would jack the bet, if not I was fine with the usual three or five dollars a game.

Jaime_Lion, very little chance of the bar tables disappearing. If you look the same vending company usually put in the bar table and juke box, cigarette machine too in the old days. The vending company makes a 50% cut and is often owned by Family guys. I looked at the contract for a bar I was interested in. You couldn't move either machine out and the bar remain open! Check when you make your rounds and I think you will find the same vending company owns the jukebox and bar table the vast majority of the time. If the vending company doesn't like the profits they can take a machine out, the bar owner can't.

Hu

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good wishes to you.

Not sure why you think I will be gambling or even that I am good enough to gamble. But ok.

Is this a question?? A statement?? A hope?? Look, once bars re-open there will be bar pool in all its shitty, un-level, beer stained "glory". Yee-haw.

A statement I guess. Bars are already open.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Tought for a Pool Bar too survive, as Pool Table even Bar Boxes take a lot of room. Bar are in the business of selling drink and food.

Right now Today all the Bars in Arizona with & without Pool Tables are CLOSED.

Years ago we had in Phoenix, Arizona called Alexander's, it was a very active Pool Bar.Alway people playing, gambling, tournments, and they even had Diamond Tables. Had several big Tournment that drew top player from all over.

Sadly it closed.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will give up pool playing if I could only play on 7’ tables. I strictly play on 9’ or larger pool tables.
If I play basketball, or just shoot hoops, the height of the basket is 10’, not the kindergarten hoops.
The measure of one’s skills is based entirely & solely on the difficulty of the confronting challenge.
I learned on 9’ & 10’ pool tables back in the early 60’s & that’s my minimum standard for any table.
To each his own, I guess. :shrug:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played much bar pool? I played a TON of it in the 80's and THE worst fight i ever personally witnessed was over a $5 game of eight-ball. Gambling in bars is ALWAYS a risky proposition. If you're playing someone you don't know you have no idea who/what you're dealing with. Playing a pool-player is usually ok but when playing suckers it can get funny. Quik.
NEVER EVER, EVER laugh or smirk at a sucker.
Be like Efren...."I got lucky". And stay humble.
You can milk a sucker for years...…….and he will like it. He secretly wants to lose anyway, help him do so....he just doesn't want to put up with being openly humiliated.
Being a little guy like me has an advantage with that fighting stuff. They don't get any 'war trophies' or 'strokes' from their war daddy buddies for smashing a little runt, so they leave me alone when it comes to that. About the worst they do to me is patting me on the head and saying "maybe next time little feller". (I can live with that)
But you're absolutely correct about "knowing when to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em" and all that. There are some people just living for trouble and it's best to leave them alone. Especially with all the guns that are out there now.
That old movie had it right with Paul Newman's line...…"human moves...you got to be a student of human moves".
For example: You're playing 8 Ball and your opponent's ball is frozen to the rail. Instead of walking over to the ball, pointing at it, and with a firm pronouncement of "that ball is frozen".....just walk over, look at it, and say..."I believe that one froze up on you, pardner, whatta' you think?"
It's a matter of ATTITUDE and TACT with words and mannerisms.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the day that I cannot find a decent 9 footer to play on regularly, I either sell my entire multi thousand billiard collection and give up on the game as a player, or build an extension on this home here in Fl, since there are no basements here like in the NE, and return to having my own billiard room. I cannot see myself enjoying 7 footers, esp since I like `14.1 - bars and 7 footers are just a fill- in for me and always have been.
I don't smoke, don't drink when playing pool, and don't like arguing about $5 bets with idiots.
Then don't smoke, don't drink, and don't argue with idiots.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Nobody is making you do any of those things, you know. :shrug: