Conversion for Dufferin cue

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am buying a dufferin cue that has the pin in the shaft. I want to convert this cue using the butt only and my own shaft that is a 3/8 10 tapped shaft. Can a cue maker add a 3/8 10 pin to the butt of this cue for me, so that i can use my own shaft? I want the existing aluminum female joint on the dufferin butt removed and a 3/8 10 pin added to the butt so that the butt and my shaft will be a flat faced wood to wood connection.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should be just fine. If you want to remove the ALU joint collar and replace it with Juma, phenolic etc you will need to pay for a partial refinish to.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Should be just fine. If you want to remove the ALU joint collar and replace it with Juma, phenolic etc you will need to pay for a partial refinish to.

Can of worms.
Will likely need extending from the bottom to get joint up to. 840.
UV finish is thick.
Chance of being warped is high.
Might as well use a cut down Duff house cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to remove any joint collar on the butt, just remove that aluminum joint and add a 3/8 10 pin into the butt end. is that a big deal? Are you a cue maker, if so what would you charge if i sent you the cue butt and my own 3/8 10 shaft that already has a black shaft collar.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can of worms.
Will likely need extending from the bottom to get joint up to. 840.
UV finish is thick.
Chance of being warped is high.
Might as well use a cut down Duff house cue.

I already own a duffer house cue conversion. This other dufferin has the butterfly splice in the butt and the aluminum joint and pin in the shaft. Can the aluminum butt joint just be cut off and a 3/8 10 screw inserted into the butt end? I don't care if it takes one inch off the total length of the cue? Thanks

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to remove any joint collar on the butt, just remove that aluminum joint and add a 3/8 10 pin into the butt end. is that a big deal? Are you a cue maker, if so what would you charge if i sent you the cue butt and my own 3/8 10 shaft that already has a black shaft collar.
I live too far from you for that to be practical, but any serious cue maker will be able to help you. If you just want to remove the pin, plug the cue and install a 3/8-10 pin, it's most likely fairly straight forward.
I'm not sure what joint diameter your Dufferin is, but before you start, make sure it's a diameter fairly close .840" ish so most aftermarket shafts will have a good fit.
I've been refinishing some Filipino cues lately and they have had .860"/.870" so it's more difficult finding shafts that fit properly.