What case is this and value?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I remember buying this case some years back and vaguely recall the seller's circumstances except that the orig interior was n/g so he had the interior replaced with this really nice looking (I think) orange one.

I have an awful lot of old cases and think I know what this is but would like confirmation from those who know.

It has the typical chrome feet at the bottom and a very mild texture leather print, everything is in great vintage cond with a super tight seam.

So what do I have here and what do you think a fair sales price would be?

tia

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Unknown-Fell-Style-case-fr.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-fr.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 586
  • Unknown-Fell-Style-case-int.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-int.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 576
  • Unknown-Fell-Style-case-rear.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-rear.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It looks like a Fellini with a new interior. Can you show a pic of the top and bottom?

The interior kills the collector value. Even if it's a Fellini, I would say $200.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
there were a few companies like mcdermitt that made knockoffs that looked like fellini.
so my guess without a fellini tag in it and a different interior 100 bucks max.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may, in fact be a Fellini. Someone here may state that definitively; in their opinion, and they may be correct. But, if I were going to sell it, most likely, the people who think it is a Fellini will pay the highest price, It will, no matter what, in fact sell less than a Fellini in this condition with a good original interior.

However, I would list it as an unknown maker case. Without it's own label, why put a label on it? Those who think it is something, will bid based upon what they see and believe; not on what some unknown person here has an opinion on the maker. I don't know of anyone authenticating cases with a letter that would be accepted like a Tascarella letter for a Balabushka cue, even though some here may be experts on this case. it may help for YOU to personally figure out this mystery case; but I think for selling purposes, with no clear label, each prospective buyer will decide for themselves.

MY best estimate is a range of $175 to $275 in an open eBay type auction. I think a straight asking price on this site would be $275 or BO if I were selling it here.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Of course this is a Fellini style case. It may, in fact be a Fellini. Someone here may say that definitively in their opinion, and they may be correct. But, if I were going to sell it. most likely, the people who think it is a Fellini will pay the highest price, It will, no matter what, in fact sell less than a Fellini in this condition with a good original interior.

However, I would list it as an unknown maker case. Without it's own label, why put a label on it? Those who think it is something, will bid based upon what they see and believe; not on what some unknown person here has an opinion on the maker. I don't know of anyone authenticating cases with a letter that would be accepted like a Tascarella letter for a Balabushka cue, even though some here may be experts on this case. it may help for YOU to personally figure out this mystery case; but I think for selling purposes, with no clear label, each prospective buyer will decide for themselves.

MY best estimate is a range of $175 to $275 in an open eBay type auction. I think a straight asking price on this site would be $275 or BO if I were selling it here.

It can be identified by the way the leather is attached on the top and bottom also, definitively

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
really it has to be a knockoff as no one would take off the fellini name tag.
it would be disingenuous to even suggest it might be one even if it is to a buyer.
not that you would.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be identified by the way the leather is attached on the top and bottom also, definitively

That may be true- but my point is that without a label; there are some that would still be skeptical- so ONLY bidders in a general auction setting who think they KNOW it is a Fellini and WANT another Fellini would bid accordingly. Anyone else who is bidding- would bid like they are just guessing that it is a Fellini.

Also, knock- offs can imitate genuine articles that can fool even so called experts, esp when the view is only online. No one is doubting people's knowledge base here; but the rule is always buyer beware. So in listing the item for sale- i think that my prior suggestions hold water.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
here's the top and bottom pics.

I have some fellini cases and this one looks just like those and my vague recollection was that the guy I bought it from indicated it was a fellini and that he was replacing the interior for whatever reason.

From a practicality standpoint, this is a high qual vintage case that is very likely a fellini with a non-original interior. For me, and I'm guessing some others, this unusual orange interior which certainly doesn't detract from it's functionality will actually have an appeal because of the odd color. I think it looks good.

For serious collectors, it's been messed with so it may not appeal to them. For the regular Joe pool player, it would be a great case to use.

Me being completely honest, when I list it I'll disclose that I'm just 98% sure it's a fellini because that's what I am. and btw, if it were a fellini inside and out what would it be worth, $300 - $350 vs maybe $200 - $250 with non orig but unique looking orange interior?

Of course, now that I have it out and am messing with it, I'm starting to like it a lot again and here we go, maybe I'll just hang on to it. :eek::confused: Is there a 12 step program for this? :grin:

thanks everyone and pls tell me if these bottom and top pics help confirm the case.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Unknown-Fell-Style-case-top2.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-top2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Unknown-Fell-Style-case-top.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-top.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Unknown-Fell-Style-case-feet.jpg
    Unknown-Fell-Style-case-feet.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 290

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think it's a Fellini or an incredible copy. Even though it looks newer, look at the pitting on the feet, it's pretty darn old. Pretty sure it's been re-dyed and refinished. $250 but somehow you'll get more...

Last edited:

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a Fellini or an incredible copy. Even though it looks newer, look at the pitting on the feet, it's pretty darn old. Pretty sure it's been re-dyed and refinished. $250 but somehow you'll get more...

I’m glad to hear someone mention a possible re-dye of the leather, because that was my first impression, too.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a story about a guy buying a storage unit after Bob Hempel died and it was filled with materials to make cases. This could be one of those where the case was just about finished and then somebody else added the interior.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I remember a story about a guy buying a storage unit after Bob Hempel died and it was filled with materials to make cases. This could be one of those where the case was just about finished and then somebody else added the interior.

But the materials are not the skill required to cut the template and wrap the case expertly. Ann Gore did that from what I recall.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the first pic the inside of the lid lip is beveled. I don't think Fellinis have this modification.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a lid from one of your other Fellini cases and see if it fits. VIOLA!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As noted, I try to pick up Fellini cases whenever I can. I have bought them from $150-250, but I want cases with labels and as original as possible.

So again, to me not a huge value. I think it could be sold for $200 to a lot of folks he aren't sticklers.

I wish you the best,

Ken

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
But the materials are not the skill required to cut the template and wrap the case expertly. Ann Gore did that from what I recall.

Ann Gore did a similar line called Manx. This case has the same look as Fellini, top to bottom, leather edges, etc, but could be one of Ann's as well.

All the best,
WW

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ann Gore did a similar line called Manx. This case has the same look as Fellini, top to bottom, leather edges, etc, but could be one of Ann's as well.

All the best,
WW

All of her cases I have seen with her label have the butterfly clasp lock.