Purple Heart shafts

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I could only find so much info on these shafts.
I was toying with the idea of getting one to use as a break shaft.

I know they are heavier and or more dense than hard maple.

So I was wondering those who have tried them what do you think?
Like them, hate them, they are only good for firewood? What?

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I would hate the color but I'm sure it would hit good. I can't speak towards the deflection though.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
PH Shaft

I have a TNT j/b cue with a ph shaft. I like mine but I would suggest a non phenolic tip unless you have perfect control on your breaks. The wood is really dense so you dont have to have a 13.5-14mm tip diameter to really bust them up which I like. Mine has a heavy seal on it and my understanding is that without that, the shaft will eventually turn black. If that doesnt bother you, go for it.

JC

Coos Cues
I could only find so much info on these shafts.
I was toying with the idea of getting one to use as a break shaft.

I know they are heavier and or more dense than hard maple.

So I was wondering those who have tried them what do you think?
Like them, hate them, they are only good for firewood? What?

I have two break cues made for me by Bob Flynn (Denali custom cues) with purple heart shafts and I like the added weight forward the heavier shaft gives. And they look good too!

JC

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have used the on a couple break cues, looked cool. I didnt like the feel of the break cues at all. 2 different times a few years back . i was disappointed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a TNT j/b cue with a ph shaft. I like mine but I would suggest a non phenolic tip unless you have perfect control on your breaks. The wood is really dense so you dont have to have a 13.5-14mm tip diameter to really bust them up which I like. Mine has a heavy seal on it and my understanding is that without that, the shaft will eventually turn black. If that doesnt bother you, go for it.

I read that wrong and this image flashed though my brain

picture.php

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they're really great as a jump shaft. but for breaking or playing, the wood is just too dense and heavy, it has a lot of deflection.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they're really great as a jump shaft. but for breaking or playing, the wood is just too dense and heavy, it has a lot of deflection.

You don't often use left or right spin on the break though (on purpose at least :) ), not in a a game that you'd want a break cue for, so deflection should not matter.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I also have a TnT w purpleheart shafts... stained black.
Very solid breaker, as well as a shooter. I would think a samsara tip would make it an even better break cue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't care about defelction.
I would expect knowing how dense and heavy the wood is that it would deflect more. I have no need to intentional spin the ball on a break.

On the other side of thr coin, I would then expect to not lose as much energy on the break.

I personally like a heavier break cue so this might be a better fit for me.

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a TnT w purpleheart shafts... stained black.
Very solid breaker, as well as a shooter. I would think a samsara tip would make it an even better break cue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

another vote for the TNT J/B cue. I have a samsara tip on mine. It hits very different from a maple shaft and takes some getting used to. I had trouble keeping the rock on the table at first, but i have it down now.
Love it.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't care about deflection.
I would expect knowing how dense and heavy the wood is that it would deflect more. I have no need to intentional spin the ball on a break.

On the other side of the coin, I would then expect to not lose as much energy on the break.

I personally like a heavier break cue so this might be a better fit for me.

I have 2 Purpleheart shafts, they are very stiff but I believe taper has more to do with how much energy is transferred into the cue ball at a given speed than density differences between maple and Purpleheart.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't often use left or right spin on the break though (on purpose at least :) ), not in a a game that you'd want a break cue for, so deflection should not matter.

its hard to hit the cue ball accurately, especially as you crank up the speed. so lower deflection gives you more room for error. hence the popularity of low deflection break cues like the bk2/3 and ob break. the longer pivot point also matches up better as people tend to use a longer bridge for more wind up.

also with the growing popularity of the cut break, people do use english on those types of breaks