SJM Slant on the 2017 Mosconi Cup

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Matchroom announced on Monday that the Mosconi was now 30,000 winner take all, the realist in me says that by Tuesday the Americans and Europeans would agree on a 10,000 saver so the money would be back to 20,00 and 10,000. But let's say there was no saver and it truly was winner take all ... I'm certain that this would make fewer American players care whether they made the team. At very least, making the team now carries a 10,000 award that goes away with winner take all. It takes a lot of invested money (meaning tournament travel and participation costs) to try to make the team, but those that spend the money deserve what can reasonably be viewed as a recoup of their investment. Personally, I think winner take all would be a step backward and could hurt participation in Mosconi ranking events among the most elite American pros.

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE skills gap. Other than future Hall of Famer SVB, American performance in the last few years in rotation games has been terrible across the board in events having deep international fields, whether it is WPA Events, Matchroom events, or the two American events that have deep, international fields. the Derby City 9-ball and the US Open 9-ball. This is not, as you seem to suggest, a cyclical aberration that belies the equality of the players across international boundaries. In fact, US players collectively hit bottom in 2017, failing to win any of the Derby City 9-ball, either of the two Turning Stone events, any of the WPA or Matchroom events, even failing to have a top three finisher in the US Open 9-ball, where Shaw, Kaci and Sanchez-Ruiz swept the medals.

When one watches the Mosconi, it becomes clear, year after year, that there is no area of the game in which American performance is superior to that of Europe, whether it's the break, pocketing, position play, safety play, kicking, jumping, use of two-way shots, or general strategy. No doubt, some of this is a shot conceptualization (meaning shot design and selection) gap, but conceptualization and execution are the two skills that are paramount in our game. The gap in conceptualization skills, in my opinion, is as great as the gap in execution skills.

Do the math. The last five Mosconi Cups combined consist of 75 matches played, 55 of them won by Europe and 20 won by the US. If the teams were truly equal, the odds against Team USA winning 20 matches or fewer of the 75 played would be more than 30,000 to 1 against.

I fear that the biggest threat to the closing of the gap between American pros and others is the incomprehensible insistence of some that there is no skills gap to address. America needs to own the skills gap, and until it does, nothing will jump-start the badly needed re-dedication to all-around excellence in competition, not even a 100,000 per player winner take all Mosconi.

Stu, it's only fitting that your post #14,000 be in your thread, so post one more.
Thanks for bringing intelligent insight to this forum. Congrats on 14K post, that's quite a lot of reporting!
Happy New Year to you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, it's only fitting that your post #14,000 be in your thread, so post one more.
Thanks for bringing intelligent insight to this forum. Congrats on 14K post, that's quite a lot of reporting!
Happy New Year to you.

Your kind words are appreciated, but we all do our part to make this forum a worthwhile place to visit. Happy new year.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Matchroom announced on Monday that the Mosconi was now 30,000 winner take all, the realist in me says that by Tuesday the Americans and Europeans would agree on a 10,000 saver so the money would be back to 20,00 and 10,000. But let's say there was no saver and it truly was winner take all ... I'm certain that this would make fewer American players care whether they made the team. At very least, making the team now carries a 10,000 award that goes away with winner take all. It takes a lot of invested money (meaning tournament travel and participation costs) to try to make the team, but those that spend the money deserve what can reasonably be viewed as a recoup of their investment. Personally, I think winner take all would be a step backward and could hurt participation in Mosconi ranking events among the most elite American pros.

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE skills gap. Other than future Hall of Famer SVB, American performance in the last few years in rotation games has been terrible across the board in events having deep international fields, whether it is WPA Events, Matchroom events, or the two American events that have deep, international fields. the Derby City 9-ball and the US Open 9-ball. This is not, as you seem to suggest, a cyclical aberration that belies the equality of the players across international boundaries. In fact, US players collectively hit bottom in 2017, failing to win any of the Derby City 9-ball, either of the two Turning Stone events, any of the WPA or Matchroom events, even failing to have a top three finisher in the US Open 9-ball, where Shaw, Kaci and Sanchez-Ruiz swept the medals.

When one watches the Mosconi, it becomes clear, year after year, that there is no area of the game in which American performance is superior to that of Europe, whether it's the break, pocketing, position play, safety play, kicking, jumping, use of two-way shots, or general strategy. No doubt, some of this is a shot conceptualization (meaning shot design and selection) gap, but conceptualization and execution are the two skills that are paramount in our game. The gap in conceptualization skills, in my opinion, is as great as the gap in execution skills.

Do the math. The last five Mosconi Cups combined consist of 75 matches played, 55 of them won by Europe and 20 won by the US. If the teams were truly equal, the odds against Team USA winning 20 matches or fewer of the 75 played would be more than 30,000 to 1 against.

I fear that the biggest threat to the closing of the gap between American pros and others is the incomprehensible insistence of some that there is no skills gap to address. America needs to own the skills gap, and until it does, nothing will jump-start the badly needed re-dedication to all-around excellence in competition, not even a 100,000 per player winner take all Mosconi.

I suggested in a different thread they should have 3 tournaments to qualify for the Mosconi Cup team with rules and tables exactly the same - except for Scotch doubles. Shot clock, camera man and referee walking around/sharking. Points assigned for how high you finish in each event. After 3 events the top 5 or 6 players make the team - no exceptions.

I believe the way the team in picked is as much a problem as guaranteed money.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Here's a quote from a young man that gets it....

''I hope that you will not treat billiards as just a cash cow of sort.
You didn’t start playing or dreamed of becoming a champion because of money!
The sport isn’t just about money. It is definitely more than that!”

Sounds like a European/Efren/Busty mindset

Every sport is like that

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the constant knock against gambling?? There has ALWAYS been gambling in pool and there ALWAYS will be. You don't think the Euro's gamble? Think again. I've seen Euro's at various events over the years and they like to match-up as much as anybody. Folks, pool is dying faster than i can type this. Fewer and fewer places to play, no pro tour, no money in it, and no next generation of players for all those reasons and more. Kids won't put in time it takes to learn. Hell, it damn near takes a nuclear-blast to get the a^*holes off their phones much less go play pool.

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I've gotta agree with the OP. Team Europe blows Team USA out of the water as far as having rock solid fundamentals. It's just my opinion, but I'd say that advantage is huge in short races. Our guys could keep chugging right along in a long race against that, but in short races it's a no go

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup 2017 overall score:
Europe 68
USA 47
Thats not much of a short race, is it? :rolleyes:
Or you can look at it another way - Europe has much bigger talent pool to choose from atm, they are WAY better mentally prepared for such high pressure event because of the much tighter competition in Europe. Apart from SVB Europe has slightly better shot makers because of better fundamentals, they play tighter positions because of structured drill practice regime, they are much better tacticians because of super-competitive Eurotour (its just matter of survival)....if you think there is not much of a difference in skill level then you just dont understand the game enough.
Build a new organizing body in USA that unite all the regional tours, build a new structured instructional program for children and places they can practice and play against each other and MAYBE then you will reap the fruits of such effort in about 15 years or so. Until then MC will be one-way story I am afraid..

An interesting read.

Your actual score totals may be correct but think about one thing : How many races to 5 comprise that final total score? That is my point, races to 5 where anything can happen and the break format. So many are making these Euros put to be pool gods and I still say hogwash and here's why - all of those Euros that have been smacking us down in the Mosconi Cup come over here and play in a bunch of different tournies and guess what? Those Euros have, do, and will get beat PLENTI of times by Plenti of different US players so it is not as if they are unbeatable. Once more the difference usually being its a race to nine AND ofen winner breaks. Imo that doesn't equate to a skill gap, but rather luck and or strategy deficiency.

I have heard the usual American attitude towards pool referred to as "gambletard". I'm afraid that fits too well.

A few minor points....

American pool publications would be absolutely delighted if a pilsner or even a brown ale were to pay to grace their pages with an advertisement. Total number of alcohol-related adds in the last three issues of Billiards Digest: zero. Total number of beer ads in the latest issue of the regional pool newspaper, On The Break News: zero, although there are a lot of small ads for bars that have tournaments. At one time there was a Gordon's Gin series for the women's tour. I bet they would like to have it back.

A related point about where pool is in American culture is the vanishing University rec center. When I learned to play, a lot of students were introduced to the game right along with calculus and medieval history. Those tables have mostly turned into Starbucks and weight machines.

Corey was not rebuffed by the snooker establishment. Snooker has a "Q School" or qualifying tournament system that anyone can sign up for. He has done so at least twice. If you qualify, you get a two-year pro tour card. He has not qualified yet. I think that Alex Pagulayan has also not qualified but did finish high enough one year that he got to fill in an empty spot in a tournament.

As for your point:

Related to which, with a little info and practice, you can crack the standard Master combination padlock in about five minutes. Locks only keep out the stupid thieves.[/QUOTE

Standard combination lock = 5 seconds or less. Any regularly keyed pad lock = 10 seconds or less. These times are with proper tools ( not bolt cutters pr portable cur off wheel lol ) in the hands of a skilled person --- so I hear anyhow!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Your actual score totals may be correct but think about one thing : How many races to 5 comprise that final total score? ...

Yes, only 15 matches in 2017. Not many.

So how about over the past 11 years? Then we have 186 matches. And Team Europe won 70% more of them than did Team USA.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, only 15 matches in 2017. Not many.

So how about over the past 11 years? Then we have 186 matches. And Team Europe won 70% more of them than did Team USA.

Exactly! :thumbup: but to some even that wont be enough to admit that USA is lacking in many areas of our beautiful game of pool. Someone took stats work of MC2017 to the very limits and did this stats table,i am not sure how it is precise but it basically it correlates with my feelings about USA vs Euro comparison nowadays:wink:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1513632950392.jpg
    FB_IMG_1513632950392.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 218

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An interesting read.

Your actual score totals may be correct but think about one thing : How many races to 5 comprise that final total score? That is my point, races to 5 where anything can happen and the break format. So many are making these Euros put to be pool gods and I still say hogwash and here's why - all of those Euros that have been smacking us down in the Mosconi Cup come over here and play in a bunch of different tournies and guess what? Those Euros have, do, and will get beat PLENTI of times by Plenti of different US players so it is not as if they are unbeatable. Once more the difference usually being its a race to nine AND ofen winner breaks. Imo that doesn't equate to a skill gap, but rather luck and or strategy deficiency.

I have heard the usual American attitude towards pool referred to as "gambletard". I'm afraid that fits too well.

A few minor points....

American pool publications would be absolutely delighted if a pilsner or even a brown ale were to pay to grace their pages with an advertisement. Total number of alcohol-related adds in the last three issues of Billiards Digest: zero. Total number of beer ads in the latest issue of the regional pool newspaper, On The Break News: zero, although there are a lot of small ads for bars that have tournaments. At one time there was a Gordon's Gin series for the women's tour. I bet they would like to have it back.

A related point about where pool is in American culture is the vanishing University rec center. When I learned to play, a lot of students were introduced to the game right along with calculus and medieval history. Those tables have mostly turned into Starbucks and weight machines.

Corey was not rebuffed by the snooker establishment. Snooker has a "Q School" or qualifying tournament system that anyone can sign up for. He has done so at least twice. If you qualify, you get a two-year pro tour card. He has not qualified yet. I think that Alex Pagulayan has also not qualified but did finish high enough one year that he got to fill in an empty spot in a tournament.

As for your point:

Related to which, with a little info and practice, you can crack the standard Master combination padlock in about five minutes. Locks only keep out the stupid thieves.[/QUOTE

Standard combination lock = 5 seconds or less. Any regularly keyed pad lock = 10 seconds or less. These times are with proper tools ( not bolt cutters pr portable cur off wheel lol ) in the hands of a skilled person --- so I hear anyhow!

what makes you so sure that the americans would win in longer races? weaker skillset, weaker mindset, but monsters in long races? nope, that doesnt go together!
maybe shane would find some gear and wouldnt look as terrible, but the others?
set up long races between thorpe, hatch and oscar vs jayson, filler or alcaide.....they would get annilihated in any constellation, you can even put corey and bergmann to it and it wouldnt change a thing!
and no, not anything can happen in a rt 5......f.e. americans cant win a rt5 for their life!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Billy Thorpe
After looking very nervous on Day 1, I thought Billy found his form and played some solid pool for the remainder of the Mosconi Cup. Billy looks like a key member of Team USA for years to come. The Mosconi stage isn’t too big for this young star.

In my assessment, Thorpe found his game in day 2 and day 3 of the Mosconi, and it made me bullish on what he could achieve in the future.

... I don't think that Thorpe did well, I think his performance was ordinary at best. Very poor at long key shots, defensively way behind the elite players, questionable shot selection at times and I would even dare to say his technique needs massive improvement. His cue ball was constantly struggling to reach ideal position. For the moment I find him an overrated player, lacking the talent to reach higher standards ....

You disagreed, and while there's no denying that one tournament may not prove anything, let's give Billy Thorpe credit for snapping off Turning Stone, which is one of the toughest events played on American soil. His defensive play, in particular, was superb. It gives him the early lead for Mosconi points for 2018.