Wood scraps/cutoffs? (WTB)

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue makers have any usable scraps? I'm looking at building some puzzle boxes and other small objects and would love a chance to buy any potentially usable scrap pieces, even pretty small ones of a quality wood could find a home for an inlay or dowel for a hinge, etc.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you looking for?
I've got cocobola, ebony & bloodwood burning in the cookstove :D how small do you want to go? Any pictures of your product?

Thanks!
smt

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you looking for?
I've got cocobola, ebony & bloodwood burning in the cookstove :D how small do you want to go? Any pictures of your product?

Thanks!
smt

Sorry don't have pics of anything. Did some woodworking projects with my Dad ages ago and became interested in cues later on. Have been collecting squares for a couple years but hadn't gotten any equipment due to many things: work, young kids, physical space, but most importantly I developed psoriatic arthritis but now I'm having some success with that on Humira so I want to set up a tiny shop in what little space I have to do so with a small cnc, small wood lathe, table saw, some hand tools and see what I can come up with. I'm still holding on to the larger squares I have for cues down the road. I might be able to be set up a 4th axis on the CNC if I get the inkling and could see about building some cue blanks, ring billets, etc. But won't be able to have anything big enough or sturdy enough to cut accurate tapers on.

I would make use of at least tinkering with the things you got, although I'm gonna steer clear of coco for a while until I can set up a bigger shop with proper dust collection and a respirator.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate packing things, taking to PO & shipping.
Beyond that issue, i'll try to accumulate some scraps over the next week or so if you give a better idea what you want & don't want.

For instance, what is your limit on paying for shipping?

within that context are you looking for free, or do you have a small "budget"?

I understand your type request is open to serendipity, but since you ruled out Coco (understandable with any sort of condition or illness) are you looking more for domestics such as say walnut (which many also have allergies to) Maple? BEM, CurlyM, mahogany? Wenge? or are you hoping more for exotics like ebony, bloodwood, bubinga, etc.? I make a lot of 1/16" veneers, are scraps useful to your project or not worth shipping?

Point being, common domestic stuff my scrap could be bigger than you want to pay shipping on. Less common stuff i may want to be reimbursed for anything usable size. etc.

Narrow some parameters down & help us help you. :^)

You might also indicate what condition you can receive and still process the wood. For instance, there's a fair amount of 6 - 12" long 8/4 & 10/4 mahogany & A mah. shorts around the shop at the moment, 4" - 8" + wide. As an example, if these ends are still in the rough, can you process them safely? if they are already flat & parallel 2 faces, can you process them safely at that thickness and shortness? or do you need 4/4 & thinner material that is faced flat, parallel and one edge straight?

smt

Last edited:

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the questions. I can give you partial answers only since right now I'm looking for the equipment. I'm definitely going to get a jointer, so at least rough cuts are ok. I might get a thicknesser (planer), too or else just work with the table saw. Doesn't have to be parallel, though, but if there's a flat enough surface and straight side I can fix to a fence, I can clean it up on the table saw. Probably don't want anything thicker than 8/4 at the moment especially if it's a dense wood or prone to tear out.

As for species, I'm at least interested in getting some experience with the cutting properties of any hardwood, domestic or exotic. Figure of any kind is always nice!

Cost isn't the issue. I'll pay for shipping and fair price for the wood. I can afford anything I got space to keep around somewhere for eventual use, but that's not a whole lot. But it sounds like your idea of scraps is much more substantial than I was thinking. Was honestly just imagining people might have some 1/2 in thick scraps or cutoffs from oversized blanks or some pieces with minor defects they won't use. Stuff that would fit in a small flat rate box.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was doing some measurements and actually trying to lay some stuff out, and I really don't have nearly as much space as I was imagining. I'm gonna have to scratch the jointer for now (could set up some tools in the crawl that aren't for regular use). So I'm stuck with a table saw for surfacing/thicknessing. Any thin stock would then need to be surfaced and parallel.

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks for all the questions. I can give you partial answers only since right now I'm looking for the equipment. I'm definitely going to get a jointer, so at least rough cuts are ok. I might get a thicknesser (planer), too or else just work with the table saw. Doesn't have to be parallel, though, but if there's a flat enough surface and straight side I can fix to a fence, I can clean it up on the table saw. Probably don't want anything thicker than 8/4 at the moment especially if it's a dense wood or prone to tear out.

As for species, I'm at least interested in getting some experience with the cutting properties of any hardwood, domestic or exotic. Figure of any kind is always nice!

Cost isn't the issue. I'll pay for shipping and fair price for the wood. I can afford anything I got space to keep around somewhere for eventual use, but that's not a whole lot. But it sounds like your idea of scraps is much more substantial than I was thinking. Was honestly just imagining people might have some 1/2 in thick scraps or cutoffs from oversized blanks or some pieces with minor defects they won't use. Stuff that would fit in a small flat rate box.

You can barely fit a paperback book into a small flat rate box. Better think at least medium but probably large. You can fit 14 1.5x1.5 x18 inch squares into a large flat rate board game box.

JC

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also got stuff like Wenge in piles of 5/16" thick left over from flooring inlays. But you might find it nasty to work with for puzzles? PH is always fun when it is fresh, but have you used it to see how fast the light violet fades/darkens to cordovan color?

If no one else fills your order and you want to pursue any of this, contact me at: e h m co fab at g mail dot com to hammer out what is useful or not etc. From a scrap point of view your rfq is fairly easy I hate to throw stuff away if someone can use it. But it might end up taking a 1/2 hr of shop time to make anything you can use conveniently.

smt

I forget to pay attention to PM's often enough and it can aggravate people who think i'm being rude, so the contact listed above is best method.

Last edited: