AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

…………..………………………...

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yes. I think about it a lot actually lol. It’s a pretty strange form of competition..you’re both playing a difficult game against the table, and you can occasionally make it even more difficult for the other person. And for me I really love playing so I just want to play and keep them away as much as I can, no matter who it is.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you play a game, you’re up against the table. When you play a set, you’re up against a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi, your theory is sound..if you get out. otherwise, I think considering one's opponent, while maybe not as important as in other sports, is still important.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Poolbum is right!

I have been tempted to shoot an opponent a time or two. Have laid a few knots and spread a little gore but that was all long ago!

However, when it comes to playing the table or the opponent, the answer for me is to do both. I hate games that take away two-way shots, two way shots gave me one of my biggest wins. I was neck and neck with a good road player, then I had to admit he was slowly edging me when I had home field advantage! If I kept playing just the table I would lose. Started mixing in some two-way shots and playing the player too. As slowly as he had eased ahead now I did.

Usually it doesn't matter if you play just the table or play the other player. However, sometimes when things are close watching for the other player's weaknesses can be the difference between winning and losing. If I see any sign they dislike a particular shot or shoot it poorly they are gonna see a lot more of it if I get the chances!

I never shark when playing a gentleman but I have been known to seek every legal advantage. Often they aren't obvious.

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If you don't know your opponent's strengths and weaknesses you are not doing everything possible to win. Saying it's just you and the table in the room might be a good mindset for some, but I think awareness of the other guy involved has value.

Does he bank or cut better? Can he back up or follow better with the cue ball. Does he get better or worse when he drinks? Does he get weaker/less focused late at night?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never shot an opponent the entire time I have shot pool. I've always figured, besides playing a safety, my opponent can not affect my game in any way. In other sports a person can block your shot, tackle you, throw you a changeup, check you in to the boards etc., etc, this doesn't come into play in pool. I've always concentrated on getting out and making sure my opponent couldn't if I couldn't. So I seriously don't care one bit who I'm competing against as they don't deter me one way or another. Anyone else use this line of thinking? Brian.
No offense sir but i call BS. Of course you're playing your opponent. Taking stock of their strength's/weaknesses figures in to how you play a particular person. Not doing so will get you beat more often than not. You can't consume your thinking with your opponent but you are definitely "shooting your opponent".

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't know your opponent's strengths and weaknesses you are not doing everything possible to win. Saying it's just you and the table in the room might be a good mindset for some, but I think awareness of the other guy involved has value.

Does he bank or cut better? Can he back up or follow better with the cue ball. Does he get better or worse when he drinks? Does he get weaker/less focused late at night?

Good answer #1.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No offense sir but i call BS. Of course you're playing your opponent. Taking stock of their strength's/weaknesses figures in to how you play a particular person. Not doing so will get you beat more often than not. You can't consume your thinking with your opponent but you are definitely "shooting your opponent".

Good answer #2.

As for me, I also paid close attention to my opponent's temperament. When they started to complain I knew I had them!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. Case in point. I played a guy several games of one pocket yesterday. He is a good player and very rarely missed a bank yesterday. Some players I can trap by leaving them difficult banks. Not this guy. I have to play him much more defensively.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In pool, I'm absolutely playing the player first and then the table. If I break and it's open, I'll go for the run but if I can't run, and depending on my opponent's strength, I might half ass a shot just to break up some trouble balls. If he is strong, I might come out with a safety.

In golf, I play the course.

I can only think of a couple of things I've done to on the course that might influence my opponent but that would be his fault.

If we are close together on a par 5 and he is going first, I might go ahead and pull out my 3-W knowing that I'm going to lay up. If that makes him go for it...that's on him.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool isn't like bowling.

I always consider my opponent for strategic purposes. If you're a weak player I'm more likely not going to play a safety if I have a decent opportunity to run out. If you're a strong player I will not go for a run out with a "decent" opportunity. I'd have to feel 90 to 95% sure I could get out. I'm more of an agressive, loose player, but always considering my opponent's skill level. Maybe I shouldn't "play the opponent", but at 50 I don't imagine I'll change my ways.

Sometimes a C player will get out when I don't expect it, but not often. You can always tighten your game up if it looks like your opponent is playing a bit over his head.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never shot an opponent the entire time I have shot pool. I've always figured, besides playing a safety, my opponent can not affect my game in any way. In other sports a person can block your shot, tackle you, throw you a changeup, check you in to the boards etc., etc, this doesn't come into play in pool. I've always concentrated on getting out and making sure my opponent couldn't if I couldn't. So I seriously don't care one bit who I'm competing against as they don't deter me one way or another. Anyone else use this line of thinking? Brian.

That is a fine approach for low-mid level players, but at the upper ends, one would be shortchanging himself by not exploring all opportunities.

Marginal gains. They add up.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I and everyone else who has played real sets and tournaments will have come up to decisions on how to play certain shots based on the opponent. This whole "play the table not the opponent" has its limits. Your winning percentage increases just from the knowledge of your opponent's strength and weakness. Play the player.

Freddie

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I and everyone else who has played real sets and tournaments will have come up to decisions on how to play certain shots based on the opponent. This whole "play the table not the opponent" has it's limits. You're winning percentage increases just from the knowledge of your opponent's strength and weakness.
Play the player.

Freddie
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if the above posts weren't true, it's still not a good way to look at competing because it takes at least half the fun out of it. Part of the allure of the game is competing against both yourself and your opponent simultaneously.

I understand your initial post though as there are times when just focusing on the yourself may be worthwhile, like when you are totally outclassed or doing the outclassing.

Sort of reminds me off this dividing line that separates those that love pool from those that are just chasing the cash. Would you rather play bad and win, or play great and lose? For most, I suppose it depends on the stakes involved. But again -- for most of us, keeping score and beating people that are thought to be better than us is what fuels us.

Hmmm then I wonder about the top dogs. Do they care who they are playing? This would be a good question to ask them. I imagine some do and some don't.

So now after writing my initial thoughts, I see there's more lying beneath the surface on this question. Should you care or shouldn't you?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the original poster.

I'd like to know how often you really get an advantage from knowing an opponent's strengths and weaknesses and changing your shot based on that. I bet people do adjust their shots sometimes, but how often do they really get an advantage from it? I bet it's not very often.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the original poster.

I'd like to know how often you really get an advantage from knowing an opponent's strengths and weaknesses and changing your shot based on that. I bet people do adjust their shots sometimes, but how often do they really get an advantage from it? I bet it's not very often.

I play in tournaments 2 or 3 times a week and for the most part, it is against the same players. All throughout the tournaments, I'm watching how others play. I'm watching if they get pissed at having to cut or bank etc..

With some players, I know for a fact that I might have 3 or more shots depending on how they left me. With a few players, I might have 1.5 shots at the game and for that reason, every shot I make is a two way shot because of that persons skill level

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
In one pocket particularly, some people bank well, some people choose not to take long shots when the cue ball is on the rail etc. These things affect how I choose to make my shot based on the percentage outcome of the shot. To not shoot against an opponent and their weaknesses/tendencies is to not use all the tools at your disposal in my opinion.