Predator LE5 / 12.9 Revo shaft - Update

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have this one in 12.4mm and really like it. 19 oz. balanced perfectly - for me.
It's the most accurate shaft I've ever shot. Didn't take long to get used to it. As far as being an investment, because it is made by Predator exclusively for Pooldawg, it's a strong possibility.

Predator SP2 Revo 5.jpg

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep it simple

If you want to improve your game, I would suggest the following

1. Book a couple of sessions with a coach to help identify any postural/stroke issues
2. Check your existing equipment is decent
3. Incorporate drills into your routine perhaps with assistance from a coach. If you already do drills, do more and more advanced drills and get expert advice to help you get the most of them. I meet people who pot for the sake of potting and call it a drill. It's not.
4. Go back to basics and master it i.e. use natural angles, draw, stun and follow but NO english

As a snooker player who switched to pool, I cannot help feeling shocked when I come across alot people who make very bad shot decisions and expect their equipment to smooth over the cracks in their game. Don't become one of those. If you are a C+ and want to improve upon that, I would suggest focusing on points 1 to 4 which will help you in a fairly short amount of time ( 50 to 400 hours ) if you do it properly with expert help (if required)

If however, you just want to treat yourself to the latest cue, go for it but I would be concerned for you as the Revo will take a bit of getting used to and if you have not mastered the fundamentals, it could just add more complications to your game.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to improve your game, I would suggest the following

1. Book a couple of sessions with a coach to help identify any postural/stroke issues
2. Check your existing equipment is decent
3. Incorporate drills into your routine perhaps with assistance from a coach. If you already do drills, do more and more advanced drills and get expert advice to help you get the most of them. I meet people who pot for the sake of potting and call it a drill. It's not.
4. Go back to basics and master it i.e. use natural angles, draw, stun and follow but NO english

As a snooker player who switched to pool, I cannot help feeling shocked when I come across alot people who make very bad shot decisions and expect their equipment to smooth over the cracks in their game. Don't become one of those. If you are a C+ and want to improve upon that, I would suggest focusing on points 1 to 4 which will help you in a fairly short amount of time ( 50 to 400 hours ) if you do it properly with expert help (if required)

If however, you just want to treat yourself to the latest cue, go for it but I would be concerned for you as the Revo will take a bit of getting used to and if you have not mastered the fundamentals, it could just add more complications to your game.
I would add only one thing to said above. Points 1 to 4 won't cost you more money but of course more practice time with appropriate attitude. I wouldn't expect any cue make a miracle for my game but the pleasure to play with a wright cue for you is another story of course.:rolleyes:

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Putting aside the points made earlier on improving pool fundamentals, these are some things to consider before getting a Revo.

- Splendid piece of engineering
- Plays nicely
- It's a luxury so do not buy if you don't have disposable income.
- Not as tough as wood, has been known to get damaged by the unlucky accidental hit (I know a couple of owners who did that - damage was cosmetic but still upsetting none the less)
- Needs getting use to ~ the sound, the feel and the look but not a big deal for most. I got the 12.4 which I found extremely light up front at first.
- Does not have the chalk accummulation issues of most wooden shafts but oil/moisture can show up instead (but easily wiped away)
- Looks super stealth with certains butts but can look butt ugly with others
- Not that much better than my 314-2's, Z2, Z3 and V imho. I play equally well with all my shafts and think the Revo marketing is exaggerated and misleading to some extent (imho)
- Attracts alot of attention - strangers coming up for chats and asking to try it

So long as you focus on the fundametals to improve your game, using a Revo should be fine.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QC Issue ?

Quick Update

After receiving a new Revo 12.4, I noticed a tiny hole in the shaft about 15cm from the joint. Upon closer inspection using a bright bike light, a hairline crack about 5mm could be seen stretching across the shaft. After reporting and showing this to the retailer, they took the shaft back immediately and ordered another for me.

Many weeks later, the second shaft arrived and looked perfect in terms of surface finish but when rolled on the retailer's table with a known straight butt attached, there was a very bad wobble in the mid section of the shaft to the extent I could not accept it. When I rolled a Z3 and 314 he also had in stock using the same butt on the same table, those were perfect.

Not sure if this is badluck but 2 out of 2 revo 12.4 I saw recently had major issues which I think should have been picked up by QA. Having lost faith Predators Revo manufacturing and quality control, I got my money back.

To the OP, keep it simple and stick to wooden shafts until carbon shafts manufacturing matures. My experience has convinced me Pred is still finding it's feet in the carbon world

Nb. I should add the 12.9 Revos I saw were all perfect - really not sure why the 12.4 have issues

Last edited:

chancen it

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
revo

I also had a new revo at one time,it had the same hole and crack.sent it back.mine was a 12.9. I agree with waiting until they get it right. Could be rushing product out due to the demand?

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also had a new revo at one time,it had the same hole and crack.sent it back.mine was a 12.9. I agree with waiting until they get it right. Could be rushing product out due to the demand?

I suspect the hole and crack are a result of an unsuitable chuck and/or excessive clamping force when the shaft is mounted in a lathe to turn the joint end. On all the shafts I saw, the carbon pattern looked very odd and finish was poor at the same place.

Yes, seems like they are rushing shafts out of the factory. Wish they wouldn't though as this will surely come back to bite them later.