CNC's for cuemakers

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hey folks,

I want to pick up another CNC and I was wondering that besides Unique Products and XZero (George had a stroke and his response to inquiries are zero), K2 went out of business, what else is out there available?

I am a buyer for a new CNC or a like new or in excellent condition CNC.
Thoughts?

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks,

I want to pick up another CNC and I was wondering that besides Unique Products and XZero (George had a stroke and his response to inquiries are zero), K2 went out of business, what else is out there available?

Thoughts?

Didn't hear about George, he made some nice machinery....

Whatever you get, profile rails and blocks are far superior to the SBR round rails/blocks by far!

Laguna is making some smaller machines now. You can also check out TechnoCNC (formerly Techno-Isel), Vision, Velox...

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
The laguna is just imported garbage with a huge markup. You can buy the same machine on eBay for half.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cnc router has the rod rails. They are junk compared to proper linear rails. In saying that, for what the machine was originally intended to be, a wood work router to make wood things to +-0.05mm or +-0.002 inches, it does achieve that. Now that I want better than 0.01mm 0.0004 inches, there is no way it is capable of that. I will need a cast iron/steel machine to obtain that sort of accuracy. So got my thinking cap and plan C working part time. Just so many options, as to which is best is not easy. Robotic arms are making great inroads to position accuracy and repeat-ability. It maybe that my next venture is in this direction.
Neil

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cnc router has the rod rails. They are junk compared to proper linear rails. In saying that, for what the machine was originally intended to be, a wood work router to make wood things to +-0.05mm or +-0.002 inches, it does achieve that. Now that I want better than 0.01mm 0.0004 inches, there is no way it is capable of that. I will need a cast iron/steel machine to obtain that sort of accuracy. So got my thinking cap and plan C working part time. Just so many options, as to which is best is not easy. Robotic arms are making great inroads to position accuracy and repeat-ability. It maybe that my next venture is in this direction.
Neil

For cue making, heavy duty aluminum extrusion frame with profile rails should be more than fine. .002" accuracy is actually super-good as far as routers are concerned; that's C5 ballscrew accuracy, and that does NOT come cheap, especially at the lengths needed. .0004" would land you in C1 territory at a workable length, and that screw would likely cost as much as your lathe and all its tooling combined! These screws from C5 down to C0 are precision ground, not rolled. By definition their tighter tolerances give them anti-backlash properties, but for higher loads a double nut is usually used, tensioned against each other. For woodworking needs, a single nut would work just fine.

The most common screws used in CNC routers are C7 rolled, which have a stated lead accuracy of .005", though because of the rolling process more clearance (axial play) is built in to overcome deficiencies in the rolling process. Any claims that a single nut solution provides anti-backlash properties I feel are misleading. Here the preferred configuration is a double ballnut. The lead error could be mapped and corrected via the control software, but you'll need some pretty good measuring equipment to make this worthwhile.

Also note that chasing .002" accuracy on a product, wood, that can move three to five times that amount, even within a span of a few hours, may be asking a bit much. Part of the artistry of working with wood is understanding how the wood moves and working around that.

Also, many manufacturers will state a resolution for their machines. This is not a mechanical resolution, but an electronic resolution based on the step size of the motor/drive system. If your machine uses servos, the step size can be very, very small depending on the encoder. With steppers, there is an inverse relationship between step size and motor performance. So just because a machine uses steppers and the step resolution is set to 10x, does NOT mean you'll achieve the .0005" positional accuracy that is claimed.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cuecut user recently purchased one of these machines:

http://www.rockler.com/axiom-autoroute-8-pro-cnc-with-stand-and-toolbox

He has not reported back on the accuracy, so I don't know what his results are yet. I'd be interested in hearing opinions on what people see on that page. I spoke with an employee of Axiom. I believe the location repeatability is within .003". The screws look a bit small perhaps. That is a lot of machine for the price, so I have to assume there are corners cut somewhere.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to their website, .0039" (10mm), 15mm ballscrews. Typically would be 5mm pitch. I don't think they're too small, since the stated max rapids are 200ipm, so the screw is only spinning at 1016rpm max. However, for smaller machines, acceleration is more important than top rapids speed.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
XZero

Hey folks,

Thoughts?

I planned on pulling the trigger on one of George's machines with my tax return. It doesn't look like it's going to work out though. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I planned on pulling the trigger on one of George's machines with my tax return. It doesn't look like it's going to work out though. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

George is up and running. I talked to him on the phone. My CNC should ship this friday. I am getting a 18x48

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
as much as i've not been an advocate for George, his xzero machine easily gives anything in this thread the 7 and the price is far less than anything mentioned.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Jake,

With all the upgrades is about $2,520 and includes spindle mount, includes the 1610/2010 ball screws upgrade.