Thoughts & photos from the Maryland Open (part 1)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Thoughts & photos from the Maryland Open

I was able to make the 2 hour drive on Sunday to check out this straight pool event.
With 3 or 4 world champions playing, I knew I'd have to check it out.

• Saturday I got a lesson with Ralph Eckert who was staying with a nice family near Top Hat.
Lesson was awesome but that's a separate post. They had a great basement room with all the amenities.
Halfway through my lesson they went to pick up Toastie from the airport.
The 2 Germans and [the father and son?] all entered this tournament. And all of them could play a little :)

• The venue (Top Hat) is awesome, the outside has a spiffy giant top hat on the roof, with neon all over it,
plus two giant molded racks of pool balls to either side of the hat, so you can see it's a pool hall
from 50 yards away. Which is about where we had to park.

tophatphoto.jpg

• Inside was an odd layout, but it worked well for spectating. The tables were very clean
and recently redone, high ceilings, GOOD food (pies, burgers, full turkey dinner, chicken salad, more).
Love the open "aircraft hangar" feel. It's a player's room, they kept music OFF the whole time,
and tv's muted. The pool noises and spectator chatter kept it from feeling like a crypt. It was perfect.

Below: Players group together for a giant professional photo.
The old guy on the far right would stroll through the center of the playing area during the matches
like he just didn't give a f*ck. Guy in the foreground is watching a football game.
On the other side of the wall they held a few matches, and for whatever reason spectators
didn't bother with that room. The ping pong tables maybe kept people away.

iVsQW6k.jpg

I suck with my camera, my hand shakes and everything looks blurry.
The panorama feature is dope, and done properly lets you see a mile of photo with full detail.
Done poorly it looks like this:

pY28pHA.jpg

No but seriously, I suck at taking pictures. Here's someone's shoulder.

x0gWmNR.jpg

The Players

Here's the chart.
You will recognize some top level pros on it, including Johnny Archer, Thorsten Hohmann, and Corey Deuel.
But they weren't the only pros in attendance. And there were several non-pro players
who were absolute ANIMALS at straight pool. Monsters you never heard of, unless you really follow 14.1.
Guys like Bob. Maidhof (Drexeline Bob, Florida Bob)... he apparently took Corey on the road long ago.
This guy has run over 300 balls and if he'd dedicated to games like 9b/10b
would probably be a household name. His cueball control is fantastic.

Below: The #1 and #2 finishers, and Mr. Maidhof.
He was very composed under pressure and narrowly missed the final 4.
Johnny Archer gave him a rare opportunity when he somehow missed a routine break
(Johnny missed 3 or 4 balls in this match, even a lesser-known event in the hinterlands of MD can bring out
nerves in a pro player). Bob went on to run about 75 balls and then got stuck on the foot rail.
All the railbirds had their idea on what he should shoot but he saw a bank combo on the side rail
that absolutely nobody else thought of. He drilled and kept right on trucking through to the next rack.

He did end up on the foot rail again and this time had nothing but semi-tough 3 ball that was 8 feet from the pocket.
Missed and Johnny finally finished him off. Bob can really play and goes into the rack fearlessly to blast them open.

gLko5js.jpg

Danny Barouty. Always wears this boonie cap thing.
Had a very relaxed attitude, the pamphlet described him as "whimsical" or something.
He kept it light. You can almost imagine him saying (in a NY accent) "eh, f*ck it" right before shooting a tough ball.

UzMICvx.jpg

Here he is shooting on the TV table. They took off the lightshade to make it brighter for the cameras.
I think that worked a little TOO good. "Just don't look up" he quipped to his opponent.

NQqJFj4.jpg

Huidji See. For me, he was just one of those names you see referenced every so often in a tournament report,
and I had no idea what level he played at, or what he looked like. He's the miniboss of the netherlands.
Niels Feijin (not attending) is the final boss of that zone.

So it turns out Huidji is Chinese, not blonde and blue-eyed. And kinda tall for an asian. Nicknamed "Hooch" by some.
He has a very cool personality/demeanor. Extremely professional, with his vest and shiny black shoes with the giant straps.
But also quick to grin and composed, never mad. My buddy got a fantastic shot of him. I got a crappy shot of him:

KCYxe3G.jpg

Most of you can name 3 out of the 4 players pictured here. Corey's clean-cut look is easy to spot.
I think the counter girl swooned a little while taking his order (the big turkey dinner with mashed, gravy,
stuffing, green beans, etc.). Johnny, you can be forgiven if you didn't recognize him with glasses.
Somehow this depressed me. Johnny's old enough to need glasses sometimes. Still shoots at the highest level.
Mike Dechaine managed to stroll by without either of them punching the other.

o3oP0Iu.jpg

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Part 2

Mad Max Eberle. Very personable. Tried to remain good-humored when Steve Lipsky laid two consecutive
3-foul penalties on him, and then made him rebreak, and then penalized him another 2 balls for a bad break.
That got him caught up fast and I believe Steve managed to turn 40 balls down into a 10 point victory.
He's kinda brutal. Didn't get a good pic but he has one of those hound dog faces with lots of no-sleep
rings under the eyes, adding 20 years to his age. I honestly thought at first he had a black eye,
and couldn't help thinking "what are you gonna do, that's pool. At least one guy at the tournament
will have a black eye."

4s10ozV.jpg

Mike Dechaine. It's hard to dislike the guy once you know him, you can't just go by the
occasional negative press on AZ. In the chat about 2958192831298319 people asked "what is that all-black
cue he's shooting with?" ...here's a simple formula for making something cool.
Take a normal thing, and make it all black. Instantly people can't get enough of it.
It was some prototype predator but I kept trying to convince people he'd broken his cue
and was forced to use an off-the-rack black cuetech.

Ch5cQol.jpg

Dominic Noe. This guy finishes high in every Action Pool Tour event and is ranked 2nd in the tour.
Has some elaborate sleeves going on. Not a vest-and-black-slacks guy.
In the background on the right is Ralph Eckert. I was rooting for him but apparently he went out
like Dechaine, sort of.... I heard he forfeit with Charlie Williams needing a whole rack.
This is just speculation but it might be something to do with CW's slow play.
I heard a few comments about it from other players. Or maybe Ralph just wasn't feeling it today.

Tjp5t1t.jpg

Michael Yednak. He really rocked the formalwear. Got a little peevish when everyone
was murmuring "go ahead" and "you're good" while a guy in a walker labored loudly through
the spectator seating. Mike's a 100+ ball runner I believe but seemed to show some nerves.

xDHyn0Y.jpg

The whole group all smiling pretty. I'll try to name some names.
Kneeling far left: Dominic Noe. Next to him is Steve Lipsky.
The black and white dudes in blue shirts, I dunno. The female player's name escapes me,
but I see her around other tournaments. Kneeling in front of her we have Corey, unknown,
and a MD local who is nicknamed "The Baltimore Bullet" and has no problem drilling
in warp speed practice balls and chatting right next to an ongoing tournament match.

Above him we have Max Eberle, Charlie Williams, and of course Johnny Archer.

The blurry gentleman in white is Danny Barouty, and behind him in Blue is Dava Daya,
another one of those guys who can drop 200 on you and leave you wondering "who the f*ck was THAT?"
The guy behind him I don't know but if you look past that fella, you'll see Bobby Chamberlain smiling.
To the far right is Mike Yednak.

Bobby is wrldpro on here, and another 300+ ball runner. He ended the first day frustrated, thinking he
was out of the tournament. I think they had some funky system in the round robin... if 2 players
end up tied, the player who made more balls overall is the winner. He thought it might be decided
by the result of their match. The guy who tied Bobby (Polo? the dude next to Corey?) played
strong and apparently ran like 30 then 70, or maybe it was 99. Something like that.
Beat Bobby but didn't advance while Bobby did. Bet Polo was a little sore about that.

UxawLOb.jpg

The Jinx Glance & the Stinkeye

I swear when I look at someone's match, just a glance, it jinxes them. I glanced at 3 different matches
in a row, and in all of them, the shooter immediately missed. I think players sense this about me.
If I look at them, even through the lens of my camera phone, they sense it, like the eye of sauron or something.
Then they give me a look that shrivels my nuts.

In the below pic I'm watching Toasty practice and do posed shots for the camera.
Those cool magazine photos they get looking right down the barrel of a player's cue, as they
line up some crucial long shot? They just stage a lot of those. Which is good,
because wouldn't it shark you to have the photographer jump in your shotline?

This is how childlike and immature (some of) the pool crowd is.
My buddy kept whispering and giggling "blow on her neck!"
and... well, I did. Just for a split second. I don't know what's wrong with me.

MVtWZjg.jpg

This old guy brought his grandkid to watch, telling him "Watch this guy thor-sten, he's the man!"
Nobody says it right. TOR-sten. Pretend there's no H.
Anyway, this kid (pictured below, lavendar) was playing in the little arcade alcove doing one of those basketball games.
He hestitated after one throw and said "I'm worried I'm gonna like make too much noise or something".
I said "well, yeah. You are. that's exactly right."
But I grinned and tried to be friendly cuz I wanted him to enjoy seeing the pros.

Anyway I try to surreptitiously snap a pic and Toastie somehow senses it and gives me the death glare.
Let me tell you. Thorsten doesn't have a game face. That's just his normal face, he doesn't need
to do anything to scare you. He's gaunt, unsmiling, and has sort of hollowed eyes. You can imagine the skull
underneath easily. He looks like a bitter psycho farmer who wakes up one day and takes a pitchfork to the family.
He'd be nicknamed The Hitman even if he bagged groceries for a living.

kqY32fe.jpg

Lipsky and Bobby also sense it. It's not like I was using a flash or making some weird noise!
The guy with the black fedora and white hatband I'm told is Jerry Tarantola of NYC Grind.

OqLxDhH.jpg

This photo is terrible but the look on Johnny's face is too priceless not to post it.

McGm2mu.jpg

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Part 3

Yeah but what about the pool?

Here's a pic of the pockets.

9vh4gkU.jpg

So yeah, not too tight. A little shimmed I guess. Two balls can fit.
Mike D. said the tables played very fast and easy. Easy but fair.
The cloth looked slippery. Heard a few players grouse because they were struggling to adjust.
But everything was extremely clean and polished. The equipment and room
seemed to be in great shape.

• Not a lot of high runs. Few runs over 100. In fact, thinking about it, I only know of one
or two 3 digit runs for sure. The finals with Johnny and Thorsten...
I think Johnny got to like ... 101 to 0, or 103 to zero, something like that.
Toasty replied with 100+ right away. Johnny didn't finish him off when he got back
to the table, but Toasty was out in his 2nd inning.

I bet on Toaster Oven to get out in under 3 innings vs. Maidhof, and Maidhof beat him.
Minus one dollar for me. Maidhof also took out Max E and almost got Johnny.
Bobby Chamberlain managed to take him out though.
Only like 3 dudes at this tournament hadn't run 3 digits... and those had run at least
80 or so. It was a tough field.

• Round robin is a funny format because once you cinch your 2nd day, some of your
matches don't matter. For example once Mike was cinched for day 2, he played
Huidji See and played a shot off the opening break instead of playing safe. It's not one
I'm super familiar with. It looks like he kicked 1 rail behind the balls, hitting near
one corner of the rack, and tried to pocket a ball into the side off the kick.
Gave Hooch an easy start.

Before you get out your pitchforks and cry about no respect for the game or his opponent,
they were both laughing about it. I think that's just one of the side effects of this format.
Possibly winning gets you a better seed? But otherwise, it's a meaningless game.

• The sole female (just remembered the name I think. Paski... Vicki Paski?) didn't advance
but could clearly play. They had $250 for the top female finisher if 4 or more entered,
but I think she was the only one. There were other little prizes like that... high run, runs over 100,
highest finisher to get knocked out on the first day.

• Up close Charlie looks like a perfectly normal young guy. Hard to picture him being
such a creeper, though easy to imagine him stepping on toes in terms of running his events.
He has that demeanor. He also takes forever thinking about each shot.
I don't think anyone rooted for him against Corey.
Also I don't think anyone rooted for Saez against Archer.

• I thought maybe CW ran the event or helped with it. But maybe it was mostly Peter Burrows.
He's a dapper looking older guy with a bowtie, but he looked a little stressed or sour.

I think there were some hard feelings having this take place at Top Hat. The story I heard (grain of salt)
is something like this. Usually this event runs out of Big Daddy's (Top Hat is nicer, for the record, but BD's is fine).
Some people close to Efren and Busty said those two could play in this event, but couldn't arrive til Sunday.
So apparently someone made the call to delay the tourney (!) Just to get those 2 to play.
But they couldn't make it after all, expired visas or something. Then apparently they couldn't
hold the event on Sunday at BD's, some obscure law (maybe a liquor law?) said they couldn't be open that day(?!)
So the whole thing had to be moved.

Anyway, whoever ran it did a fine job. A better streaming setup would have been nice, but they did have
some nice booklets with player bios for dozens of players. They should feature that in more tournaments.

• Mike Davis was in the booklet but couldn't play... finally sealed the deal on that new job, so it had to come first.

• Half the guys wore vests etc. and half did not... I guess most straight pool tourneys have that dress code,
but this one was pretty relaxed. Almost everyone looked nice but honestly I couldn't imagine playing that way...
these tight clothes strangling your every movement, having to reach and bridge over a ball (and I think it's all-ball fouls too).
Thorsten's vest is quite flashy and I think could work on either Sigfried or Roy. Huidji See looked very stylish.

• I've heard people say Corey has just been sort of phoning it in for a while, or looks bored while playing.
Maybe I shouldn't give that too much credence but he did seem kind of ... lackadaisical. Against one unknown
player he was clearly messing around, doing weird 5 ball not-wired combos or trying 80 degree cuts into the side
from below the rack area.

• Max and Lipsky played like it was the finals. Perfect opening safe, then like 4 safety exchanges after.
Max got to a big lead and lipsky put him in a trap and got him to 3 foul. The next time I looked up, he had apparently 3-fouled again
and had lost almost 40 points. Then Lipsky gathered the balls and demanded a rebreak,
Max didn't meet the requirements and lost two more points. I missed the rest but Lipsky won something like 100-90.

I'm gonna wrap this up. But anyway... great to watch this in person, wish I didn't have to work on Day 2.
I'm sure the guys who put it on wished the same thing, they were collecting $10 a head on day 1 and could have gone
higher on day 2. Thanks to insidepool for streaming it so the working stiffs could catch the finals.
Thanks also the zillions of sponsors who helped make the event happen.
5K (for first) is not a bad payday in pool, for a weekend maryland tournament!

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice write up and photos. Naw, kidding about the latter:D.

Top Hat is a great room, my favorite in the DC/ Baltimore area. Did you see the 3c table in the back room? Oh so sweet.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Nice writeup and pics. Too bad they had all these champions out here on a Monday, but glad I got to see some of them on the stream yesterday.

The Corey Deuel / Mike Dechaine match had an unbelievable ending. Likewise, the Archer / Hohmann match had an unbelievable beginning!

Makes me feel a little better after I dogged it so badly on the stream table a few weeks ago. Good to know they're human, too!

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job on the pictures! Was there any woofing on sunday? I know Dechaine was trying to get a game going after he was out of the tourney. No one wanted to play him... He started doing some proposition shots and finally ended up playing one pocket with a guy for $5 a game. Dechaine kept people entertained. First time I see him. He was nice with everyone.

On a side note Dechaine and Archer hung out together like usually pros do. Looks like no issues there anymore.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Good job on the pictures! Was there any woofing on sunday? I know Dechaine was trying to get a game going after he was out of the tourney. No one wanted to play him... He started doing some proposition shots and finally ended up playing one pocket with a guy for $5 a game. Dechaine kept people entertained. First time I see him. He was nice with everyone.

On a side note Dechaine and Archer hung out together like usually pros do. Looks like no issues there anymore.

I was there Sunday from Six to midnight. Did not see much. Mostly locals were woofing at each other. Maybe Mike did something after I left. I will ask around tonight while I am there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The reason this event

Was held on Sunday and Monday instead of Saturday and Sunday was that quite a few of the players were flying in from Qatar on Saturday, including the eventual winner of this tournament. It had nothing to do with the Pinoys.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some good posters on AZ.....

CreeDo is three of them

I agree. I enjoyed this thread and the photos. Thanks, CreeDo! :)

Interesting about Johnny wearing glasses on occasion. Keith now needs to wear my glasses in order to read the Racing Form. :grin-square:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but what about the pool?

Here's a pic of the pockets.

9vh4gkU.jpg

So yeah, not too tight. A little shimmed I guess. Two balls can fit.
Mike D. said the tables played very fast and easy. Easy but fair.
The cloth looked slippery. Heard a few players grouse because they were struggling to adjust.
But everything was extremely clean and polished. The equipment and room
seemed to be in great shape.

• Not a lot of high runs. Few runs over 100. In fact, thinking about it, I only know of one
or two 3 digit runs for sure. The finals with Johnny and Thorsten...
I think Johnny got to like ... 101 to 0, or 103 to zero, something like that.
Toasty replied with 100+ right away. Johnny didn't finish him off when he got back
to the table, but Toasty was out in his 2nd inning.

I bet on Toaster Oven to get out in under 3 innings vs. Maidhof, and Maidhof beat him.
Minus one dollar for me. Maidhof also took out Max E and almost got Johnny.
Bobby Chamberlain managed to take him out though.
Only like 3 dudes at this tournament hadn't run 3 digits... and those had run at least
80 or so. It was a tough field.

• Round robin is a funny format because once you cinch your 2nd day, some of your
matches don't matter. For example once Mike was cinched for day 2, he played
Huidji See and played a shot off the opening break instead of playing safe. It's not one
I'm super familiar with. It looks like he kicked 1 rail behind the balls, hitting near
one corner of the rack, and tried to pocket a ball into the side off the kick.
Gave Hooch an easy start.

Before you get out your pitchforks and cry about no respect for the game or his opponent,
they were both laughing about it. I think that's just one of the side effects of this format.
Possibly winning gets you a better seed? But otherwise, it's a meaningless game.

• The sole female (just remembered the name I think. Paski... Vicki Paski?) didn't advance
but could clearly play. They had $250 for the top female finisher if 4 or more entered,
but I think she was the only one. There were other little prizes like that... high run, runs over 100,
highest finisher to get knocked out on the first day.

• Up close Charlie looks like a perfectly normal young guy. Hard to picture him being
such a creeper, though easy to imagine him stepping on toes in terms of running his events.
He has that demeanor. He also takes forever thinking about each shot.
I don't think anyone rooted for him against Corey.
Also I don't think anyone rooted for Saez against Archer.

• I thought maybe CW ran the event or helped with it. But maybe it was mostly Peter Burrows.
He's a dapper looking older guy with a bowtie, but he looked a little stressed or sour.

I think there were some hard feelings having this take place at Top Hat. The story I heard (grain of salt)
is something like this. Usually this event runs out of Big Daddy's (Top Hat is nicer, for the record, but BD's is fine).
Some people close to Efren and Busty said those two could play in this event, but couldn't arrive til Sunday.
So apparently someone made the call to delay the tourney (!) Just to get those 2 to play.
But they couldn't make it after all, expired visas or something. Then apparently they couldn't
hold the event on Sunday at BD's, some obscure law (maybe a liquor law?) said they couldn't be open that day(?!)
So the whole thing had to be moved.

Anyway, whoever ran it did a fine job. A better streaming setup would have been nice, but they did have
some nice booklets with player bios for dozens of players. They should feature that in more tournaments.

• Mike Davis was in the booklet but couldn't play... finally sealed the deal on that new job, so it had to come first.

• Half the guys wore vests etc. and half did not... I guess most straight pool tourneys have that dress code,
but this one was pretty relaxed. Almost everyone looked nice but honestly I couldn't imagine playing that way...
these tight clothes strangling your every movement, having to reach and bridge over a ball (and I think it's all-ball fouls too).
Thorsten's vest is quite flashy and I think could work on either Sigfried or Roy. Huidji See looked very stylish.

• I've heard people say Corey has just been sort of phoning it in for a while, or looks bored while playing.
Maybe I shouldn't give that too much credence but he did seem kind of ... lackadaisical. Against one unknown
player he was clearly messing around, doing weird 5 ball not-wired combos or trying 80 degree cuts into the side
from below the rack area.

• Max and Lipsky played like it was the finals. Perfect opening safe, then like 4 safety exchanges after.
Max got to a big lead and lipsky put him in a trap and got him to 3 foul. The next time I looked up, he had apparently 3-fouled again
and had lost almost 40 points. Then Lipsky gathered the balls and demanded a rebreak,
Max didn't meet the requirements and lost two more points. I missed the rest but Lipsky won something like 100-90.

I'm gonna wrap this up. But anyway... great to watch this in person, wish I didn't have to work on Day 2.
I'm sure the guys who put it on wished the same thing, they were collecting $10 a head on day 1 and could have gone
higher on day 2. Thanks to insidepool for streaming it so the working stiffs could catch the finals.
Thanks also the zillions of sponsors who helped make the event happen.
5K (for first) is not a bad payday in pool, for a weekend maryland tournament!

Awesome recap -- thanks, Creedo.

Lou Figueroa

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the inside look of the tournament. I enjoyed watching most of the live streams and now have a better idea of the real "goings on". thanks again for the posts.
:thumbup:

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Boy, and they say I’m mouthy!

You make me sound like Ms. PrimLips!

That being stated ... Your ever-so-well-written Maryland depictions were ever so compelling.

And the slightly out-of-focus portraits … genius! Limiting the depth of field adds that je ne sais quoi aura to the already-shady world of pool.

Well done!

Appreciating appreciation is my life,

Sunny

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
You make me sound like Ms. PrimLips!

That being stated ... Your ever-so-well-written Maryland depictions were ever so compelling.

And the slightly out-of-focus portraits … genius! Limiting the depth of field adds that je ne sais quoi aura to the already-shady world of pool.

Well done!

Appreciating appreciation is my life,

Sunny

Cheers sunny ^^ Believe it or not that was after heavy revision.
If ever I learn to use my camera properly you'll all drown in text, I had to keep half my photos on the shelf.