Will Diamonds replace Valleys?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a question for you, who is the major buyer of the Valley tables? Lets see what you really know, then I'll tell you how and why Valley will close its doors sooner or later:rolleyes:

RKC -

I think vendor companies would be the biggest buyer of Valley tables. They usually supply the tables, and take a percentage of quarters dropped.

Ken

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Around these parts, you hardly ever see a Valley anymore. Still see Dynamos here and there. Most places have already gone to Diamonds.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
When Diamond table gets the cost down to where a bar owner or vendors can get them for the same amount of money then it might be bye-bye to Valley. I would be interested in knowing how many Valley bar tables and Diamond bar tables are out there, probably Valley outnumbering Diamond 10-1 or more. I would be curious as to Brunswick vs Gold Crown number difference which might even be greater.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
RKC -

I think vendor companies would be the biggest buyer of Valley tables. They usually supply the tables, and take a percentage of quarters dropped.

Ken

Valley/Dynamo is like a big snake and has been for many many years...but, cut off it's head...and the body will die. Valley for years made it almost impossible to make any kind of money/profit from trying to sell the tables to the bars directly...as there was only a $300 difference between wholesale and retail. Valley did a great job of controlling the coin-op table industry for so many years by selling most everything they built to the vending industry, and by passing the bar that wanted to buy their own. Brunswick came along and bought Valley/Dynamo for 34.5 million, then a few short years later...sold it to the current ownership...for 2 million, what does that tell you? Then, on top of all that, vending companies that WOULD be in the market to buy NEW Valley's...are in fact replacing some of their older Valley's with Diamond's...because if they won't supply the Diamond to the bar that wants them...another Vending company WILL. So, this creates the MAJOR problem to Valley, the vending company is NOT going to buy any NEW Valley's...as long as they have some, or a few of them somes...in their warehouses. So. along comes Diamond, building and suppling demand as it comes in, while VALLEY is looking to sell their tables to Vending companies that....have Valley's in storage. It don't take a lot of Vending companies to NOT buy Valley tables anymore....but it's the beginning of the dominoes effect meaning....less need for NEW Valley's....means Valley can't stay in business based on what they've ALREADY sold in the past, that requires NEW sales, which are falling off daily.

Second problem for Valley, is that they NEVER built a finance market for the bar that wanted to buy...but needed financing, Valley fed them to the Vending companies, while Diamond...has their no excuse lease/rent to own company...which means...if you want one, you can GET one, no problem!!!

I've already heard that the Valley/Dynamo company is up for sale again, but really...who's going to buy a sick and dying horse...when it's on it's last legs;)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valley/Dynamo is like a big snake and has been for many many years...but, cut off it's head...and the body will die. Valley for years made it almost impossible to make any kind of money/profit from trying to sell the tables to the bars directly...as there was only a $300 difference between wholesale and retail. Valley did a great job of controlling the coin-op table industry for so many years by selling most everything they built to the vending industry, and by passing the bar that wanted to buy their own. Brunswick came along and bought Valley/Dynamo for 34.5 million, then a few short years later...sold it to the current ownership...for 2 million, what does that tell you? Then, on top of all that, vending companies that WOULD be in the market to buy NEW Valley's...are in fact replacing some of their older Valley's with Diamond's...because if they won't supply the Diamond to the bar that wants them...another Vending company WILL. So, this creates the MAJOR problem to Valley, the vending company is NOT going to buy any NEW Valley's...as long as they have some, or a few of them somes...in their warehouses. So. along comes Diamond, building and suppling demand as it comes in, while VALLEY is looking to sell their tables to Vending companies that....have Valley's in storage. It don't take a lot of Vending companies to NOT buy Valley tables anymore....but it's the beginning of the dominoes effect meaning....less need for NEW Valley's....means Valley can't stay in business based on what they've ALREADY sold in the past, that requires NEW sales, which are falling off daily.

Second problem for Valley, is that they NEVER built a finance market for the bar that wanted to buy...but needed financing, Valley fed them to the Vending companies, while Diamond...has their no excuse lease/rent to own company...which means...if you want one, you can GET one, no problem!!!

I've already heard that the Valley/Dynamo company is up for sale again, but really...who's going to buy a sick and dying horse...when it's on it's last legs;)

But still I would expect Diamond tables to be ALOT more expensive than Valley tables. For enthusiasits, money makes little difference, but for a bar and their typical customer, it does make a difference.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
But still I would expect Diamond tables to be ALOT more expensive than Valley tables. For enthusiasits, money makes little difference, but for a bar and their typical customer, it does make a difference.

Ken

If the average bar player can't finish out 5 games an hour on a Valley, they're not going to do any worse on a Diamond, and at a dollar a game, it's the same amout of income, the big difference is...the guy down the street that's been looking to play on a Diamond, will now come into the bar that has them...and that's new blood to the bar owner that never had that customer before the Diamond showed up...and that's where the increased income comes into play, new customers;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Ken

And, if the vending company is the one suppling the Diamond, there's no cost to the bar owner, right?...50/50 split;)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If the average bar player can't finish out 5 games an hour on a Valley, they're not going to do any worse on a Diamond, and at a dollar a game, it's the same amout of income, the big difference is...the guy down the street that's been looking to play on a Diamond, will now come into the bar that has them...and that's new blood to the bar owner that never had that customer before the Diamond showed up...and that's where the increased income comes into play, new customers;)

Spot on Glen. There is a room in Denver that I would rarely visit but they have recently bought at least seven Diamond bar boxes and I will now drop by there just to try them.

The last time I was able to play on one of Diamond's wee tables was in New Orleans with ShootingArts> Hu. Right after that I jumped on a Valley with Joey A and what a difference between the two tables.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I have to disagree with this reasoning...

I don't think so.

While I much prefer to play on Diamonds, Valley hit the nail on the head when it came to having a pool table in the bars.

What does a bar owner want to happen to his pool table? To have people put money in the table. The faster games can be over the faster people have to put in more money. For the average bar room player this happens much faster on a Valley than on a Diamond.

While the demand from players to have Diamond tables has strengthened, if I owned a bar I would probably have to go against my personal preferences and install Valleys for this reason.

Woody

A bar makes much more money selling drinks than getting quarters put into tables. Keep people at the tables longer and you sell more drinks and make more money...

The truth of the matter is that it greatly depends on where the bar is and who your clientele are....there is no blanket answer that is correct.

I think that diamond will increase it's share of the market on bar boxes but valley isn't getting bankrupted in the near future(solely due to reduced market share)...

Jaden

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A bar makes much more money selling drinks than getting quarters put into tables. Keep people at the tables longer and you sell more drinks and make more money...

The truth of the matter is that it greatly depends on where the bar is and who your clientele are....there is no blanket answer that is correct.

I think that diamond will increase it's share of the market on bar boxes but valley isn't getting bankrupted in the near future(solely due to reduced market share)...

Jaden
No? Keep in mind, Valley is in the new table sales market, while Diamond is in the replacement market, and for every vendor Diamond picks up, Valley loses another leg to sell their tables to, so the bigger question is...how many vendors does Valley have to lose before they throw in the towel;)

9ballrob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lincoln, NE has one of the largest league bases per capita. About 1400 players in a town of 270,000. There is not a 7' Diamond in this town!

Diamond has a long way to go!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Lincoln, NE has one of the largest league bases per capita. About 1400 players in a town of 270,000. There is not a 7' Diamond in this town!

Diamond has a long way to go!

I think you missed the my point, if your area is already full of Valley tables, then Valley won't make any more sales in your area, therefore they can't stay I business if they can't keep selling new tables....but Diamond only needs to pick up ONE vendor in your area...and the vending wars will start;)

PS. I've seen it happen a 100 times already, and the bottom line is always the same, the vending companies never go back to buying Valley tables again!

Last edited:

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
I think you missed the my point, if your area is already full of Valley tables, then Valley won't make any more sales in your area, therefore they can't stay I business if they can't keep selling new tables....but Diamond only needs to pick up ONE vendor in your area...and the vending wars will start;)

PS. I've seen it happen a 100 times already, and the bottom line is always the same, the vending companies never go back to buying Valley tables again!

I prefer Diamond tables.

The closest room, 5 minutes away, had a 7' Diamond. I like the way it
plays and would like to see more of them. The owner sold it because
of APA league action. APA players avoided it. Still, all of his 9' tables
are Diamonds.

The customer is always right, except when he isn't.

Certainly, Diamond could sell tables with a more forgiving ball entry. The
better you shoot, the more you prefer a superior table.

:grin:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
to improve their skillset

Yea...this kind of what I am thinking...that they won't.

I guess this leads to my second question, how come more people don't buy 7 ft Valleys for their homes?

I am the first person who hates 7 ft bar boxes and even more sore, crappy ones like Valleys. I am a 9 ft guy. But the most pool in leagues and bars is played on 7 ft Valleys. Not too mention, that 7 ft Valleys are relatively inexpensive to get.

Even if you play all your leagues and tournaments on Valleys with buckets, playing on them will be easier if you have a Diamond at home. If you're used to making balls in a tight pocket with a deep shelf when you practice, hitting those Valley buckets will seem easy when you go out!