A simple aiming system

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Actually I already pointed out that Mosconi used parallel earlier in the thread and it is not only in his book which might not have been written by him but it is his video where it IS him explaining the system.

He is dead now, RIP, so we can't ask him if he used it but Jimmy Reid is still alive. Call him up and ask if what I have described is true.

I know Jimmy personally and I can tell you with 100% FACT that Jimmy did NOT use this method to find the shot line. He taught it to beginners in his videos but he did not bother to teach it to intermediate players nor mention it EVER in personal lessons to intermediate players.

As for Mosconi his videos were geared towards beginners. As with Ghost Ball any simple method that can be easily diagrammed is what authors want to use in books and videos whenever possible. Those methods are safe and cannot be attacked as they work "on paper" every time.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Jimmy personally and I can tell you with 100% FACT that Jimmy did NOT use this method to find the shot line. He taught it to beginners in his videos but he did not bother to teach it to intermediate players nor mention it EVER in personal lessons to intermediate players.

As for Mosconi his videos were geared towards beginners. As with Ghost Ball any simple method that can be easily diagrammed is what authors want to use in books and videos whenever possible. Those methods are safe and cannot be attacked as they work "on paper" every time.

You are a piece of work. This trchnique works from beginner to pro. Sure most of the time he did not even have to give much conscious thought to finding the line but everyone has a preferred way to line up when they need it and this was his.

Tell us, how did he say he did it then? I will be calling him later on and I will varify so be careful what you say he taught.

Last edited:

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've even seen players goofing off and not giving it much thought while they are talking or something and they are firing balls in left and right and then I say see you can do it and they say I could never do that if I try. Duh! That's the point!

I'd green rep you if I knew how to do it.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
They all are accomplishing the same thing at the end of the day....and the shot.

Since CJ made his comments about aiming at contact points, I'd like to add that someone recently made a comment about looking for a system that would allow aiming the cue stick at the points on the OB. I pointed out that on larger angled cuts the cue would need to be aligned out past the edge of the OB. To take that even further, when one is hitting center ball the cue stick is never aligned to the contact point except on straight in shots. On all other shots the cue stick would be aligned parallel to the actual contact point to varying degrees.

When using my equal & opposite fractional overlap method I never aimed at a contact point. It's a perceptional thing, especially when using english, its about determining what needs to be done to get that portion of the CB to make contact with that portion of the OB. The 'aim' or alignment is never at the contact point. Perhaps that is why I like TOI since coming from using english. They are both something other than trying to hit the center of the CB & they are both dynamic in nature as the focus is off from the center of the CB with a plan in mind.

Just my thoughts spured by CJ's comment about contact points.

Regards & Best Wishes to All,
Rick

What helps a player use this system effectively is to make sure they're bringing their cue straight down to their cue ball target, as opposed to "across the line"....when this change is made and practiced it will make this type system more automatic. If you go across the line to get to your cue ball point of aim it will cause inconsistency.

I do something similar, however, I align CTC or CTE for a solid reference point, then allow my unconscious to find the correct TOI cue ball target. This is advanced, and the next step in using the Touch of Inside. This can also be done using the CTE Pro 1, and of course there's similarities in all effective systems. They all are accomplishing the same thing at the end of the day....and the shot.

As long as you're hitting the center of the pocket I don't think it matters what "aiming system" you choose, as long as you FEEL the Pocket.....pool is a game of feel, not a game of sight. 'The Game is the Teacher'

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I align CTC or CTE for a solid reference point, then allow my unconscious to find the correct TOI cue ball target. This is advanced, and the next step in using the Touch of Inside.

I hope you are going to cover this type of stuff in your upcoming mental game discussions.

It is a hard concept to teach but I know that you know a lot about it. Getting the knowledge into words is a challenge I'm done with. I look forward to reading your posts though.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You are a piece of work. This trchnique works from beginner to pro. Sure most of the time he did not even have to give much conscious thought to finding the line but everyone has a preferred way to line up when they need it and this was his.

Tell us, how did he say he did it then? I will be calling him later on and I will varify so be careful what you say he taught.

Piece of work? Go ahead and call him. When Jimmy gave me lessons he did not say one word about aiming. Not one. He said the best way to figure out shots is throw out the balls and do fifteen minutes at center ball, 15 with right, 15 left and so on.

Of course the parallel method works. Better than GB in my opinion.

But also in my opinion, it is not that easy to use with all shots. In diagrams it is dead perfect. On the table it requires some physical and mental dexterity.

Have you actually tried it? For more than a few minutes?

I did for about two hours.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not necessary to find the exact point

This is the system Mosconi used, but in case you think he could consciously find the exact point on both the cue ball and the object ball and then consciously aim to connect the two points that are less than the size of a bb on 500+ shots in a row, I'm here to say that that is not bow it works.

Lucky for us we have a subconscious mind that can calculate exactly how to make the shots once we give it a clear picture of what we want to accomplish. The conscious mind can only juggle about 5--10 thoughts at a time so there is no way that it can direct every muscle to line up on the shot correctly.

We can use a system such as this to get that picture in our head and then we trust that the sub will perform. This is sometimes a hard concept to understand. I have seen players play for years and never learn how to trust their aim. They get down and try their hardest to find the exact points and get them lined up. The conscious mind can't consistently do that.

I've even seen players goofing off and not giving it much thought while they are talking or something and they are firing balls in left and right and then I say see you can do it and they say I could never do that if I try. Duh! That's the point!

Consciously determine the shot you are going to perform and use a system that lines you up as close as you can get, picture the shot in your head in as much detail and then trust.

Case in point: Johnny Archer says that he uses a form of contact point aiming but instead of aiming at the exact point he divides the ball into thirds and aims at the third that surrounds the contact point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUT7-RdKdeA

around the 43:00 minute mark.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Case in point: Johnny Archer says that he uses a form of contact point aiming but instead of aiming at the exact point he divides the ball into thirds and aims at the third that surrounds the contact point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUT7-RdKdeA

around the 43:00 minute mark.

Thanks for that link.

There was aiming, skids, & both Johnny & Shane said that they never did & still don't do drills.

Although Shane will shoot every shot from the rail when getting ready for a big tournament. He then said he does't even know what a drill is.

Interesting.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that link.

There was aiming, skids, & both Johnny & Shane said that they never did & still don't do drills.

Although Shane will shoot every shot from the rail when getting ready for a big tournament. He then said he does't even know what a drill is.

Interesting.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

No problem.

Most all of the tar podcast have a wealth of useful info.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, here you have it straight from the man himself. Mr. Jimmy Reid!

1./ Walk briskly study the table in this situation all the balls are on the table, look for problem balls before you do anything else make sure you know that all the pockets are open to all the balls or if they're not.

2./ Ask yourself the question. Where do I want to be on the two to get to the correct side of the three to get to the correct side of the four. Remember this is before you shoot the 1 ball.

3./ Place your hand on the table where you want to be on the 2 ball and if it's at the other end of the table and there are some balls you have to go past to get to it, check out what it looks like above it or past it.

4./ If it's a difficult shot and you're not exactly sure where to hit it, point at the 1 ball cp (contact point) and keeping your eye on that cp walk back to the cueball and let's say where you just pointed is 1/2 inch right of the left edge on the object ball.

Then address that cueball like you could see through it and line it up while still in the address position with 1/2 inch left of the right edge of the cueball meeting the 1 ball and they are both going straight in the pocket. EXACT EQUAL OPPOSITES.

5./ Play air pool stroking the cue in the air trying to get the feel for the speed necessary to execute this shot. VISUALIZE THE SHOT JUST AS IF IT WERE ALREADY AN ACCOMPLISHED FACT.

In this visualization I want you to see yourself keeping your head down to a count of one thousand two thousand three thousand after the shot is over.

In the event of a miss I want you to keep your head down until all the balls stop rolling.

Keeping your head down like that will change your balance after 3 weeks and you'll be going with the shot, miss will be a girl and you can always be proud of the way you played.

Not staying down tells me someone wants to get away from the table and doesn't want to keep it.

Mechanical vs. Fast and Loose;
All my life I've used 2 styles, the fast and loose is far more entertaining and fun, the slow and methodical (Mechanical) is for very tough tables and requires dead aim.
For this lesson we're going to pretend this table is a little forgiving and play fast and loose.

6./ Swing down on that cueball towards the object ball like a falcon on a squirrel, then talk to yourself while stroking fast and loose "okay Jimmy relax and get comfortable" (it's impossible for pressure situations to effect the outcome if your body is relaxed, so is your mind).

Take dead aim stopping once with the grip pressure you've decided to shoot with, then stroking fast and loose again stop twice asking yourself "okay is that where I want to hit it?" YES.

Then after stroking fast and loose with the same pressure in your grip hand that you intend to shoot with.

Then stop with the tip at the cueball, look at the object ball and deliver the shot without changing your grip pressure, keeping your head down to a 3 count.

After doing these steps for a few weeks your game will improve a ton.
Note:

After forcing myself to do these steps every shot pretty soon if I'm gambling or just playing a lot every day, after I swing down all I have to do is say to myself "OKAY JIMMY RELAX AND GET COMFORTABLE THEN STROKE IT UNTIL IT FEELS PERFECT."

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well, here you have it straight from the man himself. Mr. Jimmy Reid!

1./ Walk briskly study the table in this situation all the balls are on the table, look for problem balls before you do anything else make sure you know that all the pockets are open to all the balls or if they're not.

2./ Ask yourself the question. Where do I want to be on the two to get to the correct side of the three to get to the correct side of the four. Remember this is before you shoot the 1 ball.

3./ Place your hand on the table where you want to be on the 2 ball and if it's at the other end of the table and there are some balls you have to go past to get to it, check out what it looks like above it or past it.

4./ If it's a difficult shot and you're not exactly sure where to hit it, point at the 1 ball cp (contact point) and keeping your eye on that cp walk back to the cueball and let's say where you just pointed is 1/2 inch right of the left edge on the object ball.

Then address that cueball like you could see through it and line it up while still in the address position with 1/2 inch left of the right edge of the cueball meeting the 1 ball and they are both going straight in the pocket. EXACT EQUAL OPPOSITES.

5./ Play air pool stroking the cue in the air trying to get the feel for the speed necessary to execute this shot. VISUALIZE THE SHOT JUST AS IF IT WERE ALREADY AN ACCOMPLISHED FACT.

In this visualization I want you to see yourself keeping your head down to a count of one thousand two thousand three thousand after the shot is over.

In the event of a miss I want you to keep your head down until all the balls stop rolling.

Keeping your head down like that will change your balance after 3 weeks and you'll be going with the shot, miss will be a girl and you can always be proud of the way you played.

Not staying down tells me someone wants to get away from the table and doesn't want to keep it.

Mechanical vs. Fast and Loose;
All my life I've used 2 styles, the fast and loose is far more entertaining and fun, the slow and methodical (Mechanical) is for very tough tables and requires dead aim.
For this lesson we're going to pretend this table is a little forgiving and play fast and loose.

6./ Swing down on that cueball towards the object ball like a falcon on a squirrel, then talk to yourself while stroking fast and loose "okay Jimmy relax and get comfortable" (it's impossible for pressure situations to effect the outcome if your body is relaxed, so is your mind).

Take dead aim stopping once with the grip pressure you've decided to shoot with, then stroking fast and loose again stop twice asking yourself "okay is that where I want to hit it?" YES.

Then after stroking fast and loose with the same pressure in your grip hand that you intend to shoot with.

Then stop with the tip at the cueball, look at the object ball and deliver the shot without changing your grip pressure, keeping your head down to a 3 count.

After doing these steps for a few weeks your game will improve a ton.
Note:

After forcing myself to do these steps every shot pretty soon if I'm gambling or just playing a lot every day, after I swing down all I have to do is say to myself "OKAY JIMMY RELAX AND GET COMFORTABLE THEN STROKE IT UNTIL IT FEELS PERFECT."

I think that this is verbatim off Jimmy's DVD. And the method is NOT what Mohrt describes above and NOT what Jimmy taught me. In fact Jimmy didn't teach me anything about aiming when we were together. He said throw the balls out and play them with center, with left then with right and get a feel for what happens.

What Jimmy teaches regarding equal parts of the cb and object ball is exactly what Joe Tucker teaches with the by the numbers which in turn is EXACTLY what is in Mosconi's book. All of which are more objective than ghost ball certainly.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
they are just concentrating on some of the most challenging aspects of the game.

Thanks for that link.

Interesting.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

That's interesting, I also will shoot every shot from the rail (with break, ball in hand) for 20 minutes a day before playing serious matches or tournaments......I do some other exercises like that, but I would not consider them "drills," they are just concentrating on some of the most challenging aspects of the game. 'Game is the Teacher'

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Mosconi said more than once he used parallel aim. But there are more questions...

Do you stand on the full line c.b. to o.b. or the line of the parallel points before assuming the stance? Or do you line the cue stick on the parallel points line then pivot to center, etc. ;)

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi said more than once he used parallel aim. But there are more questions...

Do you stand on the full line c.b. to o.b. or the line of the parallel points before assuming the stance? Or do you line the cue stick on the parallel points line then pivot to center, etc. ;)

I use stick aiming CP to CP while standing at arms length and then pivot to the center of the CB....this minimizes the angular error to a couple of degrees to the outside of true parallel.

the couple of degrees will cut the OB a bit thin to compensate for CIT....to some degree. Not exact but neither is achieving a true parallel shift to the center of the CB.

Just saying.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
This is a very easy system to apply. Note the contact point on the object ball,
determine the entry point at the pocket (which may not be center pocket), and then
place your eye behind the cue ball point and focus on the object ball contact point.

Quite simple and accurate. It has some features similar to CTE in that you line up
differently behind the cue ball for thinner and thinner cut shots.

I use it.

:D