Playability Divergence between 7', 8' and 9' Rails

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Banking
The system I use, is self designed and uses moderate energy (at or less than lag speed) with center to high center cue ball. It is what I call a no english system. Center cue ball, and the object ball may pick up slight side english but comes off the rail essentially without english.

I shoot banks failly well, about 80% on 8 and 9 foot tables, but miss a relatively high percentage on a 7 foot table. When I bank on a 7 foot table the object ball goes long, nearly 2 ball widths.

Finally, I decided to adjust slightly my reference points. Normally I use the rail groove. I moved the spot around and settled on about 1/4 inch adjustment at the groove. I have not have sufficient time on a 7 foot table to fine tune the point, but the results of the change have resulted in a significant improvement.

QUESTION
My question relates to rail dynamics and playability.

1) Are dynamics of rails published? Where? Are they readable in angles.

2) The divergence is about 2 degrees between tables. Is this typical for 7' as compared to 9' table rails?

3) Could you recommend a process that would clarify my issues?

4) Is there something else I am missing?

By the way, I gave up on Olhausen Accufast rails, by going to another location to shoot.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member

So I suppose I will have to roll balls into a rail and measure the respective angles.

Jack Koehler in Science of Pocket Billiards devised a method to deliver balls on known
paths so he could observe actions.

I think it would result in something similar to Snell's Law. That is passing through
differing medium. Like from air into water, the position of a fish appears different
than where it actually is.

That is roll balls from say 10, 20, ...80 degrees and measure the angles of reflection.

Still I would appreciate any information about the differences in rails used on 7' and 9' tables.

Al

realkingcobra

Silver Member

So I suppose I will have to roll balls into a rail and measure the respective angles.

Jack Koehler in Science of Pocket Billiards devised a method to deliver balls on known
paths so he could observe actions.

I think it would result in something similar to Snell's Law. That is passing through
differing medium. Like from air into water, the position of a fish appears different
than where it actually is.

That is roll balls from say 10, 20, ...80 degrees and measure the angles of reflection.

Still I would appreciate any information about the differences in rails used on 7' and 9' tables.

Al

Hear my words...ALL pool tables are NOT created equal;)

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Hear my words...ALL pool tables are NOT created equal;)

It seems to me that there is a significant playability difference due to differing rail rubber designs. Different profiles.

Perhaps a test of appropiate sample size and compare the mean results.

I am just looking for help. Thanks.:smile:

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Thank goodness there are a multitude of manufacturers, environmental issues, rails, rubber, cloths, etc.. or we would have a world full of nothing but pro pool players. Imagine if the conditions were identical on all tables and there was no humidity or a ton of it. You'd never miss a bank shot!

Adjust, adjust, adjust!!! <----from my players perspective of course.

From a mechanics perspective however, as long as there is competition in table sales world wide, it will never change :D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It seems to me that there is a significant playability difference due to differing rail rubber designs. Different profiles.

Perhaps a test of appropiate sample size and compare the mean results.

I am just looking for help. Thanks.:smile:

What Robin was basically saying is that because rails from one manufacturer to the next, even if the the exact same cushions, the playability will be different from table to table. So trying to get some kind of standard of playability would be impossible as there are way to many variables.