Your playing cue vs playing off the wall?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
If you match up but don’t have your cue but have a good tip and straight one piece off the wall what do you need to feel even, all things being equal?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a low deflection shaft
I would not feel confident with a house cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
five minutes of practice with it.

This. Hell if you can find a 1 piece that meets your normal preferences, you're better off anyways. I think in this specific case you're mentioning it can be a bonus if you normally shoot with a tip >= 13mm. But really, the only reason people use 2 piece sticks is because they don't need a sun roof to transport them.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you match up but don’t have your cue but have a good tip and straight one piece off the wall what do you need to feel even, all things being equal?

You have to test the cue with certain types of shots to see if it suits your style. Test the shaft's deflection by shooting side spin shots. Test the tip by shooting longer draw shots. Test the weight distribution by pocketing long shots --- you'll miss more if the weight distribution is very different from your own cue.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
different time

Long long ago when on the road you never drug out a hinged cue to start with. You might consider it if the other guy had one and the stakes were high. I played off the wall for ten years, never toted my own cue to play with. Didn't seem to matter once you got used to playing off the wall. A little scotchbrite or sandpaper, a brad tool, and you could make most splinter factories play OK.

I have a 3x5 case since I often left the hall with more cues than I came with. Sometimes I deliberately leave it home and just stick the sandpaper and brad tool in the watch pocket of my jeans. There is a lightness and freedom stepping into a pool hall like that which just isn't found toting three butts, five shafts, enough tools to repair a passenger jet, various slip and slides, maybe a few aiming gadgets and stroke trainers. I was considering wheels, a battery, and an electric motor for my cue case when it struck me it might be time to lighten up a bit. I still think the power wagon to put your big case on could be a money maker the same for a golf bag toter.

Hu

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker. I’m definitely more proficient with my own cue.There is more accuracy, control of English, etc. I use my Snooker cue for all billiards...including American pool.

American Pool? Not a lot of difference as only intermediate Cue skills needed. 5” basketball hoops...Wobblies along the rail still sink. The challenge is more in position play. A straight cue, decent tip and chalk Is all that’s needed. I can find one off the wall and play fine. In a new setting, more adjustment needed for the cloth and rails.

On a bar box, the proverbial broomstick is sufficient.

Might take a game or two with a decent house cue but then I’m fine on an American table,

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, some sandpaper or some type of tip tool to shape the tip is usually required for a house cue. Additionally, a piece of scouring pad or steel wool pad ( plain, not one with the soap in it) rubbed over the house cue shaft section will remove all the built up grime on the cue and help it glide thru your bridged hand. That is all I ever needed to carry into a bar or pool hall if I was planning to go with a house cue- sometimes carrying a full piece of good chalk as well.

middleofnowhere

Registered
If the guy is a sucker, who cares. But if it is an even game the off the wall cue could make all the difference for you to lose.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
did carry chalk sometimes too

Yes, some sandpaper or some type of tip tool to shape the tip is usually required for a house cue. Additionally, a piece of scouring pad or steel wool pad ( plain, not one with the soap in it) rubbed over the house cue shaft section will remove all the built up grime on the cue and help it glide thru your bridged hand. That is all I ever needed to carry into a bar or pool hall if I was planning to go with a house cue- sometimes carrying a full piece of good chalk as well.

I did start carrying chalk too. Usually just left it in the truck but I went into some places that didn't even have chalk! I have to admit my expectations are much higher today, and usually met.

After I got married I still kept chalk in my truck. Sometimes when I would disappear for a few hours in the days before cell phones I would carefully take the top of the chalk and make a few marks on my shirt just over waist high like I had leaned over a piece of chalk on a rail.

"Where the hell have you been?!?

"Girl, I can't lie to you. I have been making mad passionate love to a beautiful blond for hours!"

"Like hell, I see the chalk on your shirt. You have been down at the pool hall with those bums!"

"Can't fool you girl."

Hu

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely not.......the tips are usually crap, the shafts are beat up and do not feel the same in my closed
bridge especially since all my cues’ shafts are perfect, better than new, there’s also no wrap which I prefer,
plus the weight and balance is a lot different. I know a violin is a just violin but when you own the quality of
a Stradivarius, playing a plain ole violin just ain’t the same. Same is true with all my custom cues. A house
cue is a tool, it works & I can pocket balls but I would always play much better using one of my own cues.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep reminding myself to keep it simple. Use centerball and speed to get position, and lay off the english on longer shots since I am used to LD shafts.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nowadays, about 3-4 racks.

For most of my money game days, around 30 years ago, mostly only marks brought their own cues to gamble. Bringing your own cue was like wearing a big sign that said, "hey look, I have money I want to give away, and here's the stick to prove it!"

Sharps played with house cues. I used to let my marks pick the cue I had to shoot with.

Nowadays, marks seem to like to wear gloves.

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of players I see using very long cues plus ld shafts would have
many problems using a 57 in/58 in house cue. I have let players use my
73' JOSS cue and they usually miss many shots.
Good luck

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Long long ago when on the road you never drug out a hinged cue to start with. You might consider it if the other guy had one and the stakes were high. I played off the wall for ten years, never toted my own cue to play with. Didn't seem to matter once you got used to playing off the wall. A little scotchbrite or sandpaper, a brad tool, and you could make most splinter factories play OK.

I have a 3x5 case since I often left the hall with more cues than I came with. Sometimes I deliberately leave it home and just stick the sandpaper and brad tool in the watch pocket of my jeans. There is a lightness and freedom stepping into a pool hall like that which just isn't found toting three butts, five shafts, enough tools to repair a passenger jet, various slip and slides, maybe a few aiming gadgets and stroke trainers. I was considering wheels, a battery, and an electric motor for my cue case when it struck me it might be time to lighten up a bit. I still think the power wagon to put your big case on could be a money maker the same for a golf bag toter.

Hu

Problem is today, the cues on the wall are literally the same ones you played with back then.