3/16" carbide insert boring bars

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need a fairly long and thin boring bar for joint pin installs, The solid carbide ones from Micro100 are a little short, so I have been looking at those 3/16" 4" long boring bars that use regular inserts.
I have never used on of those 3/16" boring bars befor and wonder if they are any good for pin installs or do they flex, and thus making inaccurate holes?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you got a link to what you were looking at ?
I have seen about 5mm diameter inserted carbide bars, but they are only about 35mm long for the boring length, about 7 to 1 bore to length ratio. These are intended for steel though. With a 0.1mm or 0.2mm nose radius insert , even at 50mm or 60mm long will be ok for wood etc. Carbide still moves and flexes quite a bit really and can be deceiving to think that it does not bend or move around.
Neil

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen about 5mm diameter inserted carbide bars, but they are only about 35mm long for the boring length, about 7 to 1 bore to length ratio. These are intended for steel though. With a 0.1mm or 0.2mm nose radius insert , even at 50mm or 60mm long will be ok for wood etc. Carbide still moves and flexes quite a bit really and can be deceiving to think that it does not bend or move around.
Neil

I'll post a link later today, the overall length is 4 inches, so that sould be long enough for all kinds of joint pins.
It's the flex I'm worried about. The boringbar is about $100 so it's not a huge investement, I believe it's made by Kennametal.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solid carbide boring bar

I believe that I have what you are after - however, it will need to be resharpened - so if you have the resources to make that happen - let me know //pfdrexler@comcast.net// - how does $50.00 plus shipping sound ??

Paul

ps. and yes the solid carbide is much more rigid than the set up with inserts.

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Neil

Good morning Neil.
You sold me a .250 x 6" boring bar for pins and more.
This was about 6 years ago. If you still have a source
for more. I would buy another one.
Thanks Frank FC3

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Frank, I still have the Carbide double ended boring drilling tools. I have run out of the packers for the Taig Tool posts though and need to get more of those made.
I'll send you a PM.
Neil

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
^^^ There ya go Kim. ^^^ Seems that those would fit the bill nicely if you don't fret the cost.
Super-Duper accurate boring and at various lengths.
Some advice though, move quickly before the wood moves on you. Lol