Octagon billiards

dan bennicas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20190630_130917.jpg ! 10 rail bank shots are manageable !

dan bennicas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Octagon Inserts

Yes, they are called "Octagon Inserts" The Game,( Octagon Billiards ), is played on a version of Syn-Surf 7, a faster material and one that gives more distance.[ Syn-Surf 7 Super Fast ] Plays very similar to billiard cloth on steroids. There are many new shots that are in the process of being named. I am currently working on diagrams. There are many muti-cushion shots that can be managed with practice. Some 6 to 10 rail shots that are not as hard as one would think. The opening shot of the game, or break shot is a 9 rail shot that can be achieved consistently with a medium to hard stroke.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they are called "Octagon Inserts" The Game,( Octagon Billiards ), is played on a version of Syn-Surf 7, a faster material and one that gives more distance.[ Syn-Surf 7 Super Fast ] Plays very similar to billiard cloth on steroids. There are many new shots that are in the process of being named. I am currently working on diagrams. There are many muti-cushion shots that can be managed with practice. Some 6 to 10 rail shots that are not as hard as one would think. The opening shot of the game, or break shot is a 9 rail shot that can be achieved consistently with a medium to hard stroke.

Interesting. I thought they were just to add a novelty feature to an existing table. A removable feature, which limits the commitment to the new game.

But if I'm understanding, you're talking about a much higher commitment of recovering the table in it's entirety with this superfast cloth. Is that because the game would be unplayable on regular 300 cloth?

Also, if you take the inserts out is regular 3c playable on this superfast cloth?

Really interesting idea. When I was in college I used to walk by the office of the graduate computer studies department and was always intrigued by their red circular pool table.

dan bennicas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Octagon Inserts

The playing surface, Syn- Surf 7 is rolled out atop of the 300 billiard cloth. It is a synthetic material. I tried to load a short video but i can't. Friend me on facebook to see the video. Yes they are removable !

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The playing surface, Syn- Surf 7 is rolled out atop of the 300 billiard cloth. It is a synthetic material. I tried to load a short video but i can't. Friend me on facebook to see the video. Yes they are removable !

I see. Thanks. I'll have to pass on the video, because I don't do Facebook, but I appreciate the response. You might think of posting your video on YouTube for broader dissemination.

So I'd guess you would sell this as the inserts plus the superfast cloth as a package? Any notion yet what the ballpark cost would be?. How do the inserts 'attach' to the table?

I'm also a little curious about how you determined the best size for the triangles.

I hope you don't mind all my questions.

dan bennicas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Octagon Inserts

Syn-Surf is not cloth, it is a semi-rigid hybrid multi- layered laminated synthetic material that comes on a roll. (a drink can be spilled on it with no damage as shown in my facebook video and it is very thin). To play on it you would roll it out on top of your carom cloth. One version allows both sides to be played on and one side is faster or achieves more distance than the other. One side plays very similar to standard carom cloth,(slightly faster / more distance), but heat is not required. The other faster side is used for what I call Octagon billiards. The Octagon inserts are easily removed and are held in place by a compression friction cohesion method that snaps into place solidly and does not damage the table. (no glue is required) The size was carefully chosen by geometry, trial and error. At this time I don't know what the price would be for a set that includes the inserts. The Syn-Surf 7 is currently being tested and if successful would probably sell for around $350.00 for one sided or two sided for $550.00.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Syn-Surf is not cloth, it is a semi-rigid hybrid multi- layered laminated synthetic material that comes on a roll. (a drink can be spilled on it with no damage as shown in my facebook video and it is very thin). To play on it you would roll it out on top of your carom cloth. One version allows both sides to be played on and one side is faster or achieves more distance than the other. One side plays very similar to standard carom cloth,(slightly faster / more distance), but heat is not required. The other faster side is used for what I call Octagon billiards. The Octagon inserts are easily removed and are held in place by a compression friction cohesion method that snaps into place solidly and does not damage the table. (no glue is required) The size was carefully chosen by geometry, trial and error. At this time I don't know what the price would be for a set that includes the inserts. The Syn-Surf 7 is currently being tested and if successful would probably sell for around $350.00 for one sided or two sided for $550.00.

Thanks, this has been an interesting chat. I'll have to keep an eye out for the eventual roll-out.