how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good luck in your tournament saturday. Our last qualifiers match got rescheduled from last Sunday (due to excessive snow in the North East) till the 25th. 3 more matches till states and that's it. Our SL7 should be there too so it'll be an easier road

The.same team that won it last year won it again. Two brothers and their brother in law.

They all are dang good for their handicap. I keep saying their 6 should be a 7 but so many people say I should be a 6 instead of a 5 so I degrees. :grin-square:

After masters was over I had about an hour and a half before my double jeapordy league so I made the 10 minute drive to the other pool hall . When I got there I ordered something to eat and shot the bull with the owner. Several players were getting free practice and asked if I wanted to join and I declined deciding to just chill out for an hour.

Won 9 ball 28-24 in 18 innings vs another 5 with a few safes played by both of us.

Played the same guy 8 ball with me winning 4-3 in 21 innings with a few safes played by us both. I had a break and run the last rack.

Maniac brought up in a previous post not too long ago which has been a sore subject with me. Broke ass pool players. Last night was the last straw for me and to say I lost it would be an understatement.

It came to the point where I told certain players if they don't have money necessary to pay for their matches and have enough quarters to not bother showing up.i have actually lost track of how much one player owes me.

As If that was not enough bull crap drama unfolded the last 9 ball match as I was playing the last 8 ball at the same time.

I think I have to describe my player involved in that 9 ball match ....if that is possible lol..so you will have a better understanding of what transpired.

This guy is a pretty good 5 90 % of the time..he has been a 6 once or twice. He has driven me nuts a few times with his lack.of memory concerning some of our conversations. He also has a habit of bragging about his wins a lil too much and complaining about his losses a lil too much but otherwise a pretty decent guy.

While we were both playing at the same time he took it upon himself to come up to me ...sometimes as i was about to shoot complaining about how he missed a shot...scratched...or whatever..i finally told him in an exasperated voice to shut up as I was trying to win my own game. Btw ...he had never done somethin like that before.

When my game was over his opponent ...and her boyfriend...who I was playing...which are both former team mates of mine and we are still quite friendly.. She claimed my player made several fouls during the match and I lost count of how many times she said he cheated by refusing to admit to bad hits.

I think I surprised her by saying I believed her as I knew he has had a history of doing that in the past but I had not heard of him doing it in the past couple of years. I told her about the time several years ago he had done it to me several times in a match where I finally called for the lo to come over and watch every shot no matter how far apart the balls were.

I reluctantly explained to her there was nothing I could do about it and she should have called for an observer. She explained to me several people on both teams watching the match agreed that a few were bad hits. Knowing that it was probably true about the bad hits i really felt bad having to quote the rule that without an actual observer the call goes to the shooter. I asked him about the fouls and he said they were good. Maybe he really believes they were good or he is a damn good liar .

I text my lo.last night and told him I was about to go nuts on my team.

Well I am.taking the whole week off to get ready to torture myself with another tournament next weekend. I just may play Thursday 9 ball cause I don't think I can last all week without playing at less once.:grin-square:

So no more rants from me all week.:embarrassed2:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2nd 19-1 (38 balls to his 9) in a month last night...12 innings, took less than 25 mins vs a guy my skill lvl. Not bad.

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2nd 19-1 (38 balls to his 9) in a month last night...12 innings, took less than 25 mins vs a guy my skill lvl. Not bad.

If you had held them to a few less balls. You would gotten a skunk.

I have been playing great 9 ball. But I played a guy in 8 ball the other night. He beat me in 6 innings. I know you can't be upset if you really never get to the table. It's possible to lose and do nothing wrong. I just felt like I should have given him more of a game. I'm 5 wins in 6 matches in 9 ball. I am 0 for 4 in 8 ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had held them to a few less balls. You would gotten a skunk.

I have been playing great 9 ball. But I played a guy in 8 ball the other night. He beat me in 6 innings. I know you can't be upset if you really never get to the table. It's possible to lose and do nothing wrong. I just felt like I should have given him more of a game. I'm 5 wins in 6 matches in 9 ball. I am 0 for 4 in 8 ball.

Been that way a few times myself...frustrating aint it.

Dont worry though..you will get out of it.

goombavskoopa

Registered
had thursday league last night. we lost 8 ball 6-8 and split 9 ball 50-50. I didnt play nine this week as I had to get other team members plays.I played eight ball this week, lost 0-2 just wasnt really feeling it. I kept scratching a lot from hitting too firm on shots on the small tables. I hope I pick it up before tomorrow as I have the rest of qualifier cups tomorrow.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Started our inaugural One Pocket league this week and played my first match. Lost 3 games to 2 in a race to 3. Though I lost, I have to admit it was one of the best matches in 1P I've ever played. Really glad that we got this league going. Too long in the making. My friend John Biddle is an awesome league operator that just thinks this stuff up on his own and relies on the players for making the rules and format.

If you have or want a mind for 1P and in the area of Largo, FL.... now you know.
$10 a week and you set up the matches at your own pace.

Lesh

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Most of or stuff is APA locally. I joined, but new season doesn't start until early May. Last did APA league play back in 2010 - we shall see.

Ched

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard a rumor last night that a tap league may be forming in my area soon.

If so I may join...depending.on what nights they play..probably will have to drop a night of apa. I dont really want to play more than the 4 nights a week I currently play.

I mentioned earlier that we have am apa 2,000.00 added tournament coming starting tonight. I hurt my leg the other day and its causing quite a bit of pain. I hope it does not affect my level of play. If it does...at less I have an excuse for losing.:grin-square:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won 5-0 in 8 ball last night against a weak 6. Been holding my 7 status so far in 8. Won 55-24 against a 6 in 9 ball. I'm around 23-2 in my last 25 9 ball matches and qualified for Vegas in 9 ball singles back in October. Might have to take a few weeks off before May to stay a 7 haha. Jk I really want to be a 9, so I'm working on it. Made a slight adjustment on my break last night dropping my back arm a hair getting the cue more level and was killing the break in both 8+9. Vegas baby!!!!!!!!

FRDennis

Registered
Heard a rumor last night that a tap league may be forming in my area soon.

If so I may join...depending.on what nights they play..probably will have to drop a night of apa. I dont really want to play more than the 4 nights a week I currently play.

I mentioned earlier that we have am apa 2,000.00 added tournament coming starting tonight. I hurt my leg the other day and its causing quite a bit of pain. I hope it does not affect my level of play. If it does...at less I have an excuse for losing.:grin-square:

TAP league started in my area of Massachusetts last year. I personally enjoy it more than APA which I haven't played in about 5 years. The call shot and open after the break make for a better game IMO. The 25 pt handicap rule is also a good feature. Everyone seems to be a about 1 full skill level lower than APA also (at least in my area).

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAP league started in my area of Massachusetts last year. I personally enjoy it more than APA which I haven't played in about 5 years. The call shot and open after the break make for a better game IMO. The 25 pt handicap rule is also a good feature. Everyone seems to be a about 1 full skill level lower than APA also (at least in my area).

I dont know anything about the hadicaping system in tap but I find it puzzling that tap players on average would be one skill level lower than apa.

I can understand how it could be possible in 9 ball but not 8 ball. Open break in 8 ball makes it easier to rum out. My bcapl handicap was higher than my apa handicap in apa in 8 ball mainly due to a whole lot more break and runs in bcapl.y 9 ball handicap was indeed lower in bcapl than it is in apa.

Another thing I heard ...again just rumor from a guy who said he played tap in this area some time ago is that your handicap is locked when you go to tournaments....which leads to sandbagging in my opinion.

I believe I recall a thread a while back where tap has attempted to curb this problem by players having 2 handicaps. One for regular session and one for tournaments where it seemed they had a problem with players suddenly playing a whole lot better I tournaments than their handicap indicated.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won 5-0 in 8 ball last night against a weak 6. Been holding my 7 status so far in 8. Won 55-24 against a 6 in 9 ball. I'm around 23-2 in my last 25 9 ball matches and qualified for Vegas in 9 ball singles back in October. Might have to take a few weeks off before May to stay a 7 haha. Jk I really want to be a 9, so I'm working on it. Made a slight adjustment on my break last night dropping my back arm a hair getting the cue more level and was killing the break in both 8+9. Vegas baby!!!!!!!!
niiiiice work!

FRDennis

Registered
I dont know anything about the hadicaping system in tap but I find it puzzling that tap players on average would be one skill level lower than apa.

I can understand how it could be possible in 9 ball but not 8 ball. Open break in 8 ball makes it easier to rum out. My bcapl handicap was higher than my apa handicap in apa in 8 ball mainly due to a whole lot more break and runs in bcapl.y 9 ball handicap was indeed lower in bcapl than it is in apa.

Another thing I heard ...again just rumor from a guy who said he played tap in this area some time ago is that your handicap is locked when you go to tournaments....which leads to sandbagging in my opinion.

I believe I recall a thread a while back where tap has attempted to curb this problem by players having 2 handicaps. One for regular session and one for tournaments where it seemed they had a problem with players suddenly playing a whole lot better I tournaments than their handicap indicated.

I do believe they use separate handicaps for tournaments and regular season. I will be going to the expo next month to play in the singles & team event. I am a 7 in both leagues. I cant explain why handicaps are lower in TAP for a majority of the players in this area. TAP does use a more elaborate scoring system. I also don't play in APA due to how its run in this area and that's my other theory on the higher APA handicaps vs TAP handicaps.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do believe they use separate handicaps for tournaments and regular season. I will be going to the expo next month to play in the singles & team event. I am a 7 in both leagues. I cant explain why handicaps are lower in TAP for a majority of the players in this area. TAP does use a more elaborate scoring system. I also don't play in APA due to how its run in this area and that's my other theory on the higher APA handicaps vs TAP handicaps.

Can't comment on your theory about apa handicaps and your lo but will comment on mine.

First off we aren't best buddies or anything but we were talking one night and I admitted that at one time he was not my favorite lo due to myself or my team mates being raised at the most inopportune times it seemed like. I went on to explain how as time went on I realized he did not have it out foe me or my team , that I realized it was just the handicapping system doing what it was designed to do.

He replied that yea sometimes skill levels seem to be raised at those times a lot. He them went on to tell me about the time before he became a lo his was knocked out of a chance to win cities because he was raised to a 7 the week before .

Here is my theory on why players are raised right before
..or during higher level tournaments.

As every one is probably aware...most players treat the regular session as a night out enjoying pool. When playoffs or higher come around players get more serious and as a result play better which results in handicap being raised.

Now dont get your panties in a wad over that statement. It's a known fact that everyone plays better when something is on the line.

No different than 2 guys playing for a beer and then when the stakes are raised to 20.00 a game they both play a helluva lot better. The same is true when playing a regular night out vs a shot at a trip to Vegas. That is just the way it is and why the term sandbagger gets thrown around so often.