The Lion Alex Pagulayan vs T-Rex Tony Chohan HUGE Action Match Nov. 15-18th

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Exactly. Against lesser competition, these demoralize the opponent and get them to play worse. Against world class killers, they realize he is shooting straight up in the air, and all they need to do is keep applying pressure and once a few of em wobble and sell out a few games, he's toast. As in... for the entire session.

Reminds me of a One Pocket match I was playing way back in the day.. It kept coming down to the last ball being down table and near a corner pocket. I'd pocket the ball and leave him on his side of the table, pegged in the pocket, with the last ball on the spot.The money was staying even, and this shot kept getting him back to even from being 1 game down.

My opponent kept shooting at the ball on the spot and cutting it back into his pocket. The third time he shot it, while I am racking for my break I told him straight up (with a little gamesmanship in mind..), "Hey man... I'm gonna keep giving you that shot... Because one of these times you are gonna hit it a hair fat and scratch in my pocket, and you'll never make that shot on me again."

And that's exactly what happened the next time he shot it. Hero shots can pull your bacon out of the fire, but as you said, they are nothing to rely on. Tony relies on them FAR too much at this point.
I have played that shot in a few times...if I feel good on the shot.
...the trick is never to hit it thick...if you miss it altogether...you spot a ball...
..and the fight is still on.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to get scalpel school.
I didn't watch the match (had a few other things going on) but what Russ has pointed out is absolutely true.

I've played several guys who, as a major component of their game, splash a lot of balls. Sometimes it works out and you are left to eat your liver because *everything* worked out perfect for them. But a lot of times, it dan't work out and a ball creeps back to your side leaving you straight in, or they leave a keyhole and a bank or an easy take-out, or more balls end up on your side than theirs.

When you're frequently going to the power shot to move a lot of balls as a major part of your game it's a minus because you can't control them all and that, IMO is a *huge* downside in a tough match. Sure, some times the BFG is great -- but most often the scalpel is better. Alex has a very sharp scalpel.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't watch the match (had a few other things going on) but what Russ has pointed out is absolutely true.

I've played several guys who, as a major component of their game, splash a lot of balls. Sometimes it works out and you are left to eat your liver because *everything* worked out perfect for them. But a lot of times, it dan't work out and a ball creeps back to your side leaving you straight in, or they leave a keyhole and a bank or an easy take-out, or more balls end up on your side than theirs.

When you're frequently going to the power shot to move a lot of balls as a major part of your game it's a minus because you can't control them all and that, IMO is a *huge* downside in a tough match. Sure, some times the BFG is great -- but most often the scalpel is better. Alex has a very sharp scalpel.

Lou Figueroa
good post lou
i agree....:eek:.....:)

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Amen, Lou... does he EVER!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buffalo's Billiards in the Big Easy is truly a pool room like no other place on this planet.

The place was rocking with big money action and top players all week.

Place has all the best action, great equipment and James Buffalo Leone the owner is all about the players.

Open 24-7-365 with pool,gambling and cocktails any time night or day New Orleans style.

If you guys ever get a chance to visit the place do it.

Capture.jpg

buffs building.jpg

You guys that do Facebook should check out Buffalo's page he gives daily reports about all the action going on there and they are flat out fun to read lol

Capture1.jpg

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teddy sounds mad at his money.

I would bet I know how to bounce a pool ball higher than a building,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181120-125121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181120-125121_Gallery.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 437

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teddy sounds mad at his money.

I would bet I know how to bounce a pool ball higher than a building,
I think Joey A was outside sweating Mike throw the golf ball and lost a good chunk betting he couldn't do it lol

Mike is a big strong guy he's like 6 foot 6 tall i bet he was a baseball pitcher or quarterback at some point.

Capture.PNG

Somebody took a video of Joey's face when Mike was throwing the ball

His face looked something like this :yikes::shocked2::shocked2::yikes: lol

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Joey A was outside sweating Mike throw the golf ball and lost a good chunk betting he couldn't do it lol

Mike is a big strong guy he's like 6 foot 6 tall i bet he was a baseball pitcher or quarterback at some point.

View attachment 505734

Somebody took a video of Joey's face when Mike was throwing the ball

His face looked something like this :yikes::shocked2::shocked2::yikes: lol

"The Sky tells me that when he finally cleans up all the loose scratch around his home town and decides he needs more room, his old man has a little private talk with him and says to him like this:

"'Son,' the old guy says, 'you are now going out into the wide, wide world to make your own way, and it is a very good thing to do, as there are no more opportunities for you in this burg. I am only sorry,' he says, 'that I am not able to bankroll you to a very large start, but,' he says, 'not having any potatoes to give you, I am now going to stake you to some very valuable advice, which I personally collect in my years of experience around and about, and I hope and trust you will always bear this advice in mind.

"'Son,' the old guy says, 'no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always remember this: Some day, somewhere,' he says, 'a guy is going to show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is never broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that the jack of spades will jump out of this deck and squirt cider in your ear. But son,' the old guy says, 'do not bet him, for as sure as you do, you are going to get an ear full of cider.’”
Damon Runyon

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"The Sky tells me that when he finally cleans up all the loose scratch around his home town and decides he needs more room, his old man has a little private talk with him and says to him like this:

"'Son,' the old guy says, 'you are now going out into the wide, wide world to make your own way, and it is a very good thing to do, as there are no more opportunities for you in this burg. I am only sorry,' he says, 'that I am not able to bankroll you to a very large start, but,' he says, 'not having any potatoes to give you, I am now going to stake you to some very valuable advice, which I personally collect in my years of experience around and about, and I hope and trust you will always bear this advice in mind.

"'Son,' the old guy says, 'no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always remember this: Some day, somewhere,' he says, 'a guy is going to show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is never broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that the jack of spades will jump out of this deck and squirt cider in your ear. But son,' the old guy says, 'do not bet him, for as sure as you do, you are going to get an ear full of cider.’”
Damon Runyon

Lou Figueroa

I've heard this story a million times and I still love it. Our own Danny D. had one of the strongest throwing arms ever. He once bet Roger Maris (the Yankees great home run hitter and strong armed outfielder) that he could throw a baseball across the Potomac river and that Roger couldn't. Long story short, Danny won that bet for some serious cash. True dat!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I've heard this story a million times and I still love it. Our own Danny D. had one of the strongest throwing arms ever. He once bet Roger Maris (the Yankees great home run hitter and strong armed outfielder) that he could throw a baseball across the Potomac river and that Roger couldn't. Long story short, Danny won that bet for some serious cash. True dat!

Jay..

I thought the story was about a canal in Florida, not the Potomac? That's the way I remember Danny D. telling it.

Short Bus Russ

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay..

I thought the story was about a canal in Florida, not the Potomac? That's the way I remember Danny D. telling it.

Short Bus Russ

You could be right Russ. I'm not sure where I got the Potomac from. I think that may be another Danny D. story about throwing a ball (maybe a golf ball) across the river.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
You could be right Russ. I'm not sure where I got the Potomac from. I think that may be another Danny D. story about throwing a ball (maybe a golf ball) across the river.

Yah.. There was a video or audio a few years back where some guy was interviewing old school players about their exploits on the road. Danny told three "throwing" stories to the fellow:

1. Trapping one of the Janscos back in Johnston City days, that Danny couldn't throw a golf ball throw the uprights on a football field, throwing from the other endzone.

2. He got you on the same bet, setting it up as if he were just talking random smack while you two were watching a football game.

3. He had heard of a bar butted up to a canal in Florida where locals were known to trap people with a prop bet to throw a golf ball across the canal.. The word was they had even trapped some top pro pitcher with this prop bet.

Danny went and took a look and found that a predominant wind blowing into the face of the thrower made the throw impossible, for anybody, but that it would be possible if the wind died or shifted.So he then proceeded to go in and play the part of the know-it-all blowhard braggart, to get everyone pissed at him, and then one day the wind shifted to be blowing the opposite way.. Danny was bragging about his athleticism, and had a ringer "call him out" with the golf ball prop bet.

The entire bar hated Danny by that time and wanted a piece of his comeuppance. He gets down every bet that anyone would throw at him, and then proceeds to clear the canal by a good 20 feet. One or two folks get mad at being hustled, and then he offers them the chance to get their money back by betting on a fistfight with Danny, which no one took him up on.

So... I think this third story might have been what you were talking about, but come to think of it, I might have heard rumblings that he did get down an individual challe nge bet straight up against some pro at some point. If so, he did not tell that story at this particular sitdown. But I am sure he mentioned the canal bar previously trapping a pro baseball pitcher, though.

Short Bus Russ

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yah.. There was a video or audio a few years back where some guy was interviewing old school players about their exploits on the road. Danny told three "throwing" stories to the fellow:

1. Trapping one of the Janscos back in Johnston City days, that Danny couldn't throw a golf ball throw the uprights on a football field, throwing from the other endzone.

2. He got you on the same bet, setting it up as if he were just talking random smack while you two were watching a football game.

3. He had heard of a bar butted up to a canal in Florida where locals were known to trap people with a prop bet to throw a golf ball across the canal.. The word was they had even trapped some top pro pitcher with this prop bet.

Danny went and took a look and found that a predominant wind blowing into the face of the thrower made the throw impossible, for anybody, but that it would be possible if the wind died or shifted.So he then proceeded to go in and play the part of the know-it-all blowhard braggart, to get everyone pissed at him, and then one day the wind shifted to be blowing the opposite way.. Danny was bragging about his athleticism, and had a ringer "call him out" with the golf ball prop bet.

The entire bar hated Danny by that time and wanted a piece of his comeuppance. He gets down every bet that anyone would throw at him, and then proceeds to clear the canal by a good 20 feet. One or two folks get mad at being hustled, and then he offers them the chance to get their money back by betting on a fistfight with Danny, which no one took him up on.

So... I think this third story might have been what you were talking about, but come to think of it, I might have heard rumblings that he did get down an individual challe nge bet straight up against some pro at some point. If so, he did not tell that story at this particular sitdown. But I am sure he mentioned the canal bar previously trapping a pro baseball pitcher, though.

Short Bus Russ

He most definitely trapped Roger Maris on a baseball long toss bet. Where it happened I can't be sure. When he trapped me with the golf ball bet he also got the poolroom to empty out as well. Maybe six other guys bet with him and he won like five or six hundred on the first throw (a perfect field goal by the way, split the uprights). I quit after that and three or four guys bet him again. He won another few hundred on the second toss and that was it. He looked around and asked if anyone wanted to go for three and no one made a peep.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey does PATV offer a (if forget what it's called) that thing where you can rent a video for the day like accurate-stats does or TAR did with Vimeo?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out the mural of Tony and Alex that was painted on the wall in the background.

Buffalo had a artist come in and hand paint it just for this match. :eek:

Attachments

• 46495361_2031557800200845_6855154574810939392_o.jpg
    46495361_2031557800200845_6855154574810939392_o.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 564

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
He most definitely trapped Roger Maris on a baseball long toss bet. Where it happened I can't be sure. When he trapped me with the golf ball bet he also got the poolroom to empty out as well. Maybe six other guys bet with him and he won like five or six hundred on the first throw (a perfect field goal by the way, split the uprights). I quit after that and three or four guys bet him again. He won another few hundred on the second toss and that was it. He looked around and asked if anyone wanted to go for three and no one made a peep.

I've heard Walden did the same thing. Never seen it in person, but according to the stories, he could sling the black hell outa just about anything.
Heard some young kid (up and coming pitcher) beat him a few yrs back and he really took it hard :grin:.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard Walden did the same thing. Never seen it in person, but according to the stories, he could sling the black hell outa just about anything.
Heard some young kid (up and coming pitcher) beat him a few yrs back and he really took it hard :grin:.

Meanwhile Titanic Thompson injected some mercury into a walnut and bet he could throw it over a ten story building. And he did, more than once! He was the world's greatest con man. Danny, on the other hand, was the real deal. No cons or gimmicks needed in how far he could throw that golf ball.

Then there is arm wrestling and we have Charley Bryant who is still undefeated. Charley took on weightlifters and pro football players and put all their arms down. Pretty sure he broke more than one forearm in his time too. Our own Mike Massey is the strongest man I've ever known. There is a reason they called him the Tennessee Tarzan. If you ever saw him do one handed extended push-ups you wouldn't believe it. No one ever beat him, their two hands to his one.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No cons or gimmicks

Tennessee Tarzan. If you ever saw him do one handed extended push-ups you wouldn't believe it. No one ever beat him, their two hands to his one.

No one in the pool room, but they aren't generally 'in shape'.

But then you have the free throw basketball bets.

Refer to cider in the ear story.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No one in the pool room, but they aren't generally 'in shape'.

But then you have the free throw basketball bets.

Refer to cider in the ear story.

There's supposed to be some old guy who has made thousands in a row, like playing Pop-A-Shot! I'm gonna look it up.

OMG, Ted St. Martens made 5221 in a row on April 28, 1996 in a little over seven hours. There is a video of it! Now, that's some crazy shit!

I used to bet I could make eight out of ten, lol. I once made a free throw that was worth $400. There was a kids basketball camp run by Dave Miller, as assistant coach with the Lakers. My grandson was in the camp. I used to go watch Dylan play there and after camp one day Miller asked if anyone wanted to try to make one free throw for a free camp. Several fathers raised their hands and one grand pa, me. He picked three of us and I went last. He took us off to the the side of the gym where a gaff basket was set up, maybe 12' high. The first two guys fell well short, to be expected. I made up my mind I wasn't falling short and took a good long look and threw it up there and SWISH! Dylan's next camp was on the house, courtesy of Poppa Jay.

Last edited: