JUDD cue questions

CO Nineballer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd

I drove out to Judd and Trudy's house a couple of weeks ago just to see how Trudy was doing. She is on oxygen when in the house and has to have a bottle just to walk to the garage. Not in the best health, but just as sweet as ever.

I have a Judd that they made for me that I will NEVER sell (even though every time I saw Judd, he would ask me what I got for it and give me a hard time that he knew I would sell it.)

I think it is one of the best looking cues I have ever seen, and the hit is even better. Ivory re-cut super long points.

Can't go wrong with a Judd if you can find one!!!

Attachments

• New Photos 007.jpg
    New Photos 007.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 278
  • New Photos 006.jpg
    New Photos 006.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 275
  • New Photos 011.jpg
    New Photos 011.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 275
  • New Photos 012.jpg
    New Photos 012.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 281

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
It's the most valuable to me, since my name is Judd, and I have this cue's ebony/ivory sister from '92. These 2 are the only 6pt cues Judd Fuller ever made (he only ever admitted to 1).

I wish I had the cash to buy it off you, but it's pretty unlikely. Someday they may be united again.

Mine has been refinished, and they refinished over the wrap, so meh... I'd keep yours as is. Whatcha gonna ask for it?

That used to be my cue and it is not refinished over the wrap. The Irish linen is just pressed and polished really, really well. If you look at the first picture in post #5 (which I took) you can even see the edge of the finish where it ends and the linen wrap begins.

The cue and finish looked all original to me but I can't positively confirm it was never refinished because I did not buy it new directly from Judd. In any case it isn't finished over the wrap though.

On a side note, I acquired the cue from a good friend whom I trust, and he spoke to Judd while he owned the cue to ask him about it and Judd told him that he only made two ivory pointed cues. Perhaps Judd's memory could be a little suspect though since you are saying he claimed to have only made one six pointer which obviously isn't true.

If you ever decide to sell it let me know. I might be interested in buying it back from you if the shaft tapers haven't been messed with etc.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That used to be my cue and it is not refinished over the wrap. The Irish linen is just pressed and polished really, really well. If you look at the first picture in post #5 (which I took) you can even see the edge of the finish where it ends and the linen wrap begins.

The cue and finish looked all original to me but I can't positively confirm it was never refinished because I did not buy it new directly from Judd. In any case it isn't finished over the wrap though.

On a side note, I acquired the cue from a good friend whom I trust, and he spoke to Judd while he owned the cue to ask him about it and Judd told him that he only made two ivory pointed cues. Perhaps Judd's memory could be a little suspect though since you are saying he claimed to have only made one six pointer which obviously isn't true.

If you ever decide to sell it let me know. I might be interested in buying it back from you if the shaft tapers haven't been messed with etc.

I believe you. I have no regrets on the cue. I've just never seen a wrap that's been polished before, which explains my confusion. I did remember that you'd mentioned it was refinished, but my memory is not perfect. The finish is still clear as can be over the cue, and at 27 years old now, that's pretty amazing.

I sent an email about getting a new shaft after I'd purchased it from you. Trudy responded that Judd remembered the cue well and that it was the only 6 point he'd ever made. I put it down to memory, but I'm not sure there's ever been more than 2 of them.

Mine is certainly not up for sale. I'm not a collector, and never tend to have money around, being a younger pool player. This is my only "good" cue. I don't think I have anything else even worth more than a few hundred dollars. This one is a keeper, I intend to pass it on to my children, to be honest (I've been teaching them the sport lately, they love it).

Also, sorry for reusing your pics, I can't seem to manage getting any better at taking pics of cues.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I had this Judd and thought it was one of the coolest looking cues and it played really well. I think a few top Pinoys were liking his cues for a while, not surprising.

I vote for not refinishing the cue, too, giving the next owner the choice.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Judd-Fuller-star-full.jpg
    Judd-Fuller-star-full.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Judd-Fuller-star-sig.jpg
    Judd-Fuller-star-sig.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Judd-Fuller-star-butt.jpg
    Judd-Fuller-star-butt.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Judd-Fuller-star-forearm.jpg
    Judd-Fuller-star-forearm.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 213

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drove out to Judd and Trudy's house a couple of weeks ago just to see how Trudy was doing. She is on oxygen when in the house and has to have a bottle just to walk to the garage. Not in the best health, but just as sweet as ever.

I have a Judd that they made for me that I will NEVER sell (even though every time I saw Judd, he would ask me what I got for it and give me a hard time that he knew I would sell it.)

I think it is one of the best looking cues I have ever seen, and the hit is even better. Ivory re-cut super long points.

Can't go wrong with a Judd if you can find one!!!

Beautiful cue! I bought my JT-1 off of you. That got me hooked. Still my main player. I had Steve Klein re taper one of the shafts on it.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm not inquestion of your ethics or needs, but...
Jesus crappe that's a nice cue.

MMaybe send it out for a professional polish (maybe)

Attachments

• EBOLA.jpg
    EBOLA.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 186

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I believe you. I have no regrets on the cue. I've just never seen a wrap that's been polished before, which explains my confusion. I did remember that you'd mentioned it was refinished, but my memory is not perfect. The finish is still clear as can be over the cue, and at 27 years old now, that's pretty amazing.

I sent an email about getting a new shaft after I'd purchased it from you. Trudy responded that Judd remembered the cue well and that it was the only 6 point he'd ever made. I put it down to memory, but I'm not sure there's ever been more than 2 of them.

Mine is certainly not up for sale. I'm not a collector, and never tend to have money around, being a younger pool player. This is my only "good" cue. I don't think I have anything else even worth more than a few hundred dollars. This one is a keeper, I intend to pass it on to my children, to be honest (I've been teaching them the sport lately, they love it).

Also, sorry for reusing your pics, I can't seem to manage getting any better at taking pics of cues.

No worries on using the pics, feel free to use them however you like.

The only thing I ever said about the finish was that it was in great shape. I never made mention of whether it was original or refinished because I had no way of knowing. Had I been asked I would have said the same and added that I always assumed it to be all original based on how it looked to my non expert eyes along with the back story of the cue, but that it was just a guess on my part.

The back story on the cue, which you may have interest in, as I recall it was that my friend purchased it from the widow of the former owner sometime after he had passed away (I get the impression that some time had passed and it was not right after). In the same deal he also acquired from her by FAR the fanciest cue ever made by another maker (which I also ended up acquiring) who is specifically known for only making very simply styled cues (that one had a ton of ivory too). Based on the those two cues I suspect the former owner was a collector who specialized in very rare examples of cues from makers in styles that differed significantly from their typical styles, and particularly if the cues had a lot of ivory in them. I would guess that he had them commissioned himself, and may have even had to twist the maker's arms a bit and/or pay up to get them built. I speculate that the cues were in such great condition because they sat in his safe for two plus decades and saw almost no play because they were never intended to be players to begin plus his advanced age/health.

All linen wraps are pressed/polished, and the better it is done, the smoother they get. I agree about the wrap on your Judd though, it is the most well done smoothest linen wrap I have ever seen as well. I wondered if it had been lightly waxed to get that smoothness (this is done on occasion) but I never could detect any wax residue like I usually can so I don't think it was. I actually absolutely loved that wrap (wish all mine were that good and that I could find someone that can do that level of linen wrap work) but obviously personal preferences can vary on wraps as with anything else.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324529
I had tough time getting that cue sold and it ended up selling dirt cheap and to this day I still can't figure out why. It was a rare type example/style from a great known cue maker, word was already out that he was about to stop making cues, it was prior to the new more restrictive ivory laws, was dead straight and near mint condition, made with expensive materials, used an extremely popular great hitting wood (ebony), popular weight/specs, and had a classic design that was pretty and well done (at least I thought so and similar designs except with wood instead of ivory points seem to be very popular). I am still perplexed but I guess the market doesn't lie (let me know if anybody has any ideas).

Glad to hear that you continue to love the cue as much as I did. I told myself I wouldn't buy any more cues with ivory but if for some reason you ever do decide to sell at some point let me know as I might have to make an exception as this one hit and felt especially good to me.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have a JT-1 for sale on Billiard Bill's (Bill Lister's) site. Been pairing down my collection of cues, but it is one sweet hitter for sure.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
That cue is quite beautiful and in excellent condition from what I can see from your photos.

JoeyA

I ordered this cue in 1991 when Judd and Trudy were my neighbors in Southern California. I am looking to sell the cue as I haven't ever used it very much and it just remains in storage in my home pool room.

As you will see in the pictures that the original finish that is on the cue has yellowed over the years. My question is will the cue be more valuable to a buyer in original condition or will a new refinish add more value and make it easier to sell?

Thanks

Kevin

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have enough problems

Is this Dean using a different name? This belongs in the FOR SALE
SECTION or ASK THE CUE MAKER or CUE and CASE GALLERY or,
or,or, even the classified section of the news paper. MyGOD man isn't
there enough trouble in the world without this. I have a 13 year old
grandson that gets on this site occasionally, what if he sees this ? I saw
the word sell in this post multiple times,along with refinish and pictures
so no use trying to deny what the true intent is. I'm going to see if I can
talk to Dr. Phil or Oprah about this.
Frazzled.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries on using the pics, feel free to use them however you like.

The only thing I ever said about the finish was that it was in great shape. I never made mention of whether it was original or refinished because I had no way of knowing. Had I been asked I would have said the same and added that I always assumed it to be all original based on how it looked to my non expert eyes along with the back story of the cue, but that it was just a guess on my part.

The back story on the cue, which you may have interest in, as I recall it was that my friend purchased it from the widow of the former owner sometime after he had passed away (I get the impression that some time had passed and it was not right after). In the same deal he also acquired from her by FAR the fanciest cue ever made by another maker (which I also ended up acquiring) who is specifically known for only making very simply styled cues (that one had a ton of ivory too). Based on the those two cues I suspect the former owner was a collector who specialized in very rare examples of cues from makers in styles that differed significantly from their typical styles, and particularly if the cues had a lot of ivory in them. I would guess that he had them commissioned himself, and may have even had to twist the maker's arms a bit and/or pay up to get them built. I speculate that the cues were in such great condition because they sat in his safe for two plus decades and saw almost no play because they were never intended to be players to begin plus his advanced age/health.

All linen wraps are pressed/polished, and the better it is done, the smoother they get. I agree about the wrap on your Judd though, it is the most well done smoothest linen wrap I have ever seen as well. I wondered if it had been lightly waxed to get that smoothness (this is done on occasion) but I never could detect any wax residue like I usually can so I don't think it was. I actually absolutely loved that wrap (wish all mine were that good and that I could find someone that can do that level of linen wrap work) but obviously personal preferences can vary on wraps as with anything else.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324529
I had tough time getting that cue sold and it ended up selling dirt cheap and to this day I still can't figure out why. It was a rare type example/style from a great known cue maker, word was already out that he was about to stop making cues, it was prior to the new more restrictive ivory laws, was dead straight and near mint condition, made with expensive materials, used an extremely popular great hitting wood (ebony), popular weight/specs, and had a classic design that was pretty and well done (at least I thought so and similar designs except with wood instead of ivory points seem to be very popular). I am still perplexed but I guess the market doesn't lie (let me know if anybody has any ideas).

Glad to hear that you continue to love the cue as much as I did. I told myself I wouldn't buy any more cues with ivory but if for some reason you ever do decide to sell at some point let me know as I might have to make an exception as this one hit and felt especially good to me.
Since about 2020 or 2021, I've made this 6pt Judd my main player, and I'm so adjusted to the shaft now I can hardly play with anything else. In that time when I decided to play one cue and one cue only for years straight, my game has improved tremendously. I still use the JT1 if I travel, but that's pretty rare. The 6pt never leaves my house, but it gets many hours use every week.

I'm curious if you remember what type of tips are on those shafts. I've been assuming they're the old moori mediums. I'm still on the same tips, but I worry they're getting a bit thin and I don't want to risk them getting too thin and having an issue with the ferrule. I may want to proactively replace one of them if I can find something that plays exactly the same.

Still no mods on the cue at all (and I believe it's the original finish now), and I've added very little wear (using Taom V10 helps IMO), and I'm so bonded to it I'd never even contemplate selling it. In fact I worry that if something happened to it what the hell I'd do. There's just something about those shafts that's magic with my game right now.