Jeremy Sossei: Whitten Introduces Solution For Butts In Tube Style Cases

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
My pal, Jeremy "The Giant Killer" Sossei has a nice relationship with the Whittens and has recently received a killer case from them featuring black lizard print leather pouches and red stitching. I have a couple Whittens myself and have always marveled over how you can not find a single stitch out of place on their cases; ever! :thumbup: I think as anyone who has owned a Whitten can attest, they make incredibly high-quality cases.

Having owned quite a few tube style cases in my life (Justis, Swift Whitten, etc) I, personally, have never had any issue as a result of how the cues don't quite fill the tube space side-to-side but I suppose there could be the potential for something to happen. Joe Whitten has come up with a straightforward and simple solution that should put tube-style case owners concerns to rest.

Jeremy stopped by my house a couple days ago to show this new product to me. There are two options to choose from, one is an actual joint protector which has a flared bottom that fills the tube space nicely eliminating side to side movement of cue butts (see pics). These joint protectors will be tapped to use with the various common thread pins; Jeremy uses a SW butt so these were tapped 3/8 11.

The second style being offered is an untapped thick washer-style spacer, looks like it made of black delrin. These can be used along with any standard joint protector, just slip it on over your pin then screw on your jp and, voila, side to side movement is now gone.

Below are a few pics of these products, please excuse any fuzzy images, my camera was having a bad day.

If you would like any more info on these or want to order you can get in touch with Joe Whitten via email at: joe@whittencases.com

Jeremy's new case is in post 2.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Whitten-spacer-jp.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 977
  • Whitten-spacer.jpg
    Whitten-spacer.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 988
  • Whitten-spacer-jp.2.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp.2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 969
  • Whitten-Red-Blk-Stingray-full.jpg
    Whitten-Red-Blk-Stingray-full.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Jeremy's new case...

Attachments

• Whitten-Jeremy.jpg
    Whitten-Jeremy.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 951
  • Whitten-Jeremy-2.jpg
    Whitten-Jeremy-2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 939
  • Whitten-Jeremy-3.jpg
    Whitten-Jeremy-3.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 938
  • Whitten-Jeremy-4.jpg
    Whitten-Jeremy-4.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 953
  • Whitten-Jeremy-5.jpg
    Whitten-Jeremy-5.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually dont mind the side to side motion in my Whitten case. That said seems like a great product. I love my Murnak case, but I think Whitten makes the most elegant cases in the business. I need another.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I actually dont mind the side to side motion in my Whitten case. That said seems like a great product. I love my Murnak case, but I think Whitten makes the most elegant cases in the business. I need another.

give Joe a call; he has an app for that. :grin-square:

here's a couple more pics of the new Whitten j/p's and spacers.

Attachments

• Whitten-spacer-jp-2.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 606
  • Whitten-spacer-jp-3.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 601
  • Whitten-spacer-jp-4.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 595
  • Whitten-spacer-jp-5.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 609

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, with snug, cushioned protection in mind, I suggested a case design with inflatable air-bladders that would function along the lines of the old Reebok Pump sneakers: People laughed.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Years ago, with snug, cushioned protection in mind, I suggested a case design with inflatable air-bladders that would function along the lines of the old Reebok Pump sneakers: People laughed.

there's 2 main schools of thought on it.

One being that a snug fit to hold a cue in place while protecting it is the best way.

The other being that a cue should be surrounded by air so that the wood can breath. This was mentioned before by Ernie of Gina Cue.

I think this innovative new product from Whitten offers the best of both worlds in that the cue is held nicely in place while still having air surrounding it. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the lumbar idea is a very good idea. As long as you can keep the bulb, tube and blatter from dry rotting, it should be great. My lesser idea is to use 2inch memory foam to line the case about every third of its length (totaling 6inches of foam).

I like the lumbar idea. If I can find a used chair for cheap I might try it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there's 2 main schools of thought on it.

One being that a snug fit to hold a cue in place while protecting it is the best way.

The other being that a cue should be surrounded by air so that the wood can breath. This was mentioned before by Ernie of Gina Cue.

I think this innovative new product from Whitten offers the best of both worlds in that the cue is held nicely in place while still having air surrounding it. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

I am not convinced a rigid, snug fit is the best way to protect a cue. A little movement of the cue will actually protect it more even with the bounce. I spent a long time working on shock mounting hard drives in computers and it turned out that letting it bounce slightly protected it better. If you wanted to break a cue in half with a mallet would you suspend it by a string or put it in a vice? Would you rather drop your cue onto to the floor or you bed? Another problem with the really tight interiors is that the cues scrape against each and can create small gouges

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent a long time working on shock mounting hard drives in computers and it turned out that letting it bounce slightly protected it better. If you wanted to break a cue in half with a mallet would you suspend it by a string or put it in a vice?

To expand on the above, you also don't support just 1 section of a drive. Maybe sternly supporting only 1 inch of the stick and letting the other 29 inches dangle around isn't a good idea?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Butts in tube cases.....all youse guys think about is pool?
...what about butts in tube dresses?

FF0AC53A-B28A-4DE3-A190-4E0C810FB7A9.jpeg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it annoyed the hell out of me when I was walking around with my jack justis . I used to put a towel in the top of it and then John Barton put his interior in it and made it perfect.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both yours and Jeremy's cases are beautiful. As you said, Whitten workmanship is excellent.

I bought my first Whitten in 1991. My previous case was an Ann Gore. The looseness compared to the Gore was initially concerning. 28 years later, I can say that the Whitten has provided excellent protection for my cues. Now I own three Whittens and all of my cues and shafts are stored in them.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Case is beautiful...function & fashion. The JP spacers are a great concept. Would also be interesting for the JP maker to turn JP's to spec ... 1piece JP with a wide base or flange,

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Case is beautiful...function & fashion. The JP spacers are a great concept. Would also be interesting for the JP maker to turn JP's to spec ... 1piece JP with a wide base or flange,

that is the first option being offered (see flared-bottom 1 piece jp on Left in the picture).

the second option is the thick black delrin spacer that you would use with your jp (see on Right side of first pic and in second pic).

Attachments

• Whitten-spacer-jp-2.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Whitten-spacer-jp-3.jpg
    Whitten-spacer-jp-3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 123

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I'd be nervous over a most-likely-Chinese rubber product coming into contact with my cue finish.

Some might think it alarmist but I've personally had some bad experiences with Chinese rubber products (I'll be expecting az buddies to speculate on some of these). :D.

best,
brian kc

That is a valid concern, one I hadn't considered.

Thanks for looking out.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
That is a valid concern, one I hadn't considered.

Thanks for looking out.

don't know how old you are Jimmy but maybe you remember the good old days when, us kids would be out playing hard all day in the summertime and when we got thirsty, whomever's house we were closest to, we'd go to their garden hose and run it for a 10 seconds or so to clear out the warm water that's been sitting and we'd take a nice cool drink. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Today's hoses from China not only stink to high heaven but they come with warnings not to drink from them over cancer concerns.

I sure miss the made in the USA rubber products.