Diamond tables don't seem that great.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buffalo’s has red and blue labels. Guys climb all over those tables sit on them, and they still play pretty good. Sure some of them have a little roll here and there but no GC ever made can take the abuse those Diamonds take.

My friend has had a 9’ blue label in his remodeled garage since the blue first came out. Over the years it’s had a couple of very minor adjustments. He turns the air conditioning on about an hour or two before play and off when he’s done. When not in use it just soaks up what Louisiana has to offer. Month after month, year after year, that table plays great.

I just played in NJ at Black Diamonds. Once I found a level table the table played great. Strange place though, every other table was a GC5 and no one played them while I was there. That GC5 is a butt ugly table with 5” buckets. The blue labels play great at The Spot in West Nyack. They also play great in Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Vegas, Ocala, Chalmette, Lavonia, Cincinnati area. Sorry, I know I left off a few rooms:) I will add, those red labels in Cape Coral are just horrible. Someone should use those for fire wood.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buffalo’s has red and blue labels. Guys climb all over those tables sit on them, and they still play pretty good. Sure some of them have a little roll here and there but no GC ever made can take the abuse those Diamonds take.

My friend has had a 9’ blue label in his remodeled garage since the blue first came out. Over the years it’s had a couple of very minor adjustments. He turns the air conditioning on about an hour or two before play and off when he’s done. When not in use it just soaks up what Louisiana has to offer. Month after month, year after year, that table plays great.

I just played in NJ at Black Diamonds. Once I found a level table the table played great. Strange place though, every other table was a GC5 and no one played them while I was there. That GC5 is a butt ugly table with 5” buckets. The blue labels play great at The Spot in West Nyack. They also play great in Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Vegas, Ocala, Chalmette, Lavonia, Cincinnati area. Sorry, I know I left off a few rooms:) I will add, those red labels in Cape Coral are just horrible. Someone should use those for fire wood.

Hmmm. So much to say about this post. I will leave it be.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just finished playing on the worst playing table I think I have ever played on. I love Gold towns but this thing was a POS. It looked good at first glance but my goodness was it bad. Tight pockets, wrong angles and obviously replaced cushions without subrail modification. This is why the GC gets the bad rap it gets. The locals are use to it and I guess they don’t complain. It was immediately noticeable to me. Even if you hit the facing the Ball’s would rattle. Only thing that would go in was nothing but net for the most part. On the occasion that you didn’t hit nothing but net and a ball went in it rattled its way in. I gave up. What a frustrating experience.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a GC's defense they were designed to be commercial money-making tables. Room owners wanted to see customers make balls, have fun and come back. Combined with the slow, nappy cloth they weren't EASY to play on but your Joe Public could make balls on them.

this is exactly what I say about valley tables.. They aren’t made for pool players. They are made for bars and arcades with people that aren’t very good. You want them to make the balls easier so 1)They have more fun and want to play again 2)The quicker they clear the table they quicker more money goes in.

Hell the same thing goes for house cues. They aren’t made to play good pool with. Hard rock maple shaft, hard tip and all the weight in the butt. They are made for drunks and kids to smash around and not damage lol

I have rails on my valley that the inside of the pocket slightly angles in instead of out...It makes a world of difference. I feel diamond tables are easy compared to my table now.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell the same thing goes for house cues. They aren’t made to play good pool with. Hard rock maple shaft, hard tip and all the weight in the butt. They are made for drunks and kids to smash around and not damage lol

Exceptionally, I think a new to newer 18oz Players house cue is a very nice cue. Dime radius Elk Master, smooth finish, removable bumper and balanced just as you'd think it would be all for the low price of 25usd. Is it great? No, but if it was magically more portable I think a lot of people would find them a safer default for when you don't have your own. I'll literally shoot with anything as long as I get to play pool, but when I see one of those, I'll alwsys snag it. Truthfully, I'm starting to miss a 1 piece cue. Maybe, just maybe the perfect cue is the cue that you feel is the best house cue ever and you never notice its 2 pieces.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I love watching the local hustlers pick up a random house cue and beating all the revo owners and fellas with jump break sticks and all the fixins out of the tournament

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have to point this out again, once a pool table has been sold new, the continued playability of that table is 95% in the hands of who ever works on it, starting with it's very first set up, and from there onward, and no longer represents the manufacturers!!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes

Exceptionally, I think a new to newer 18oz Players house cue is a very nice cue. Dime radius Elk Master, smooth finish, removable bumper and balanced just as you'd think it would be all for the low price of 25usd. Is it great? No, but if it was magically more portable I think a lot of people would find them a safer default for when you don't have your own. I'll literally shoot with anything as long as I get to play pool, but when I see one of those, I'll alwsys snag it. Truthfully, I'm starting to miss a 1 piece cue. Maybe, just maybe the perfect cue is the cue that you feel is the best house cue ever and you never notice its 2 pieces.

The goal of early cue builders was just to match the play of a one piece cue in a jointed cue. It is still very tough to do. House cues tend to have very soft ferrules on them. Change out the ferrule on a one piece cue and it will usually hit as well or better than almost all two piece cues.

It took me a long time to understand the 3/4 position joint on many jointed snooker cues. I finally realized they are getting very close to the hit of a one piece cue and it is still a little more portable.

Hu

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m not saying I wouldn’t play with a house cue or I couldn’t play well with it.. I’m saying your average house cue is made with taking abuse first ...not playability.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching the local hustlers pick up a random house cue and beating all the revo owners and fellas with jump break sticks and all the fixins out of the tournament

If you know they are hustlers.. and everyone knows them there as good players they aren’t really by definition hustlers.. They are just really strong players lol

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the point is it isnt the brand as much as how and who put it together for a table and a cue stick.
some brands are naturally better, and each person has their own preferences.

and as noted new and fun players prefer tables where the balls readily are accepted by the pockets. and to relate it to golf weaker golfers prefer wide open and shorter courses where they have a chance to score better and have more fun.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It took me a long time to understand the 3/4 position joint on many jointed snooker cues. I finally realized they are getting very close to the hit of a one piece cue and it is still a little more portable. ...
Another advantage of the 3/4 joint is that it does not put the joint where it rubs against your chin.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Beard

Another advantage of the 3/4 joint is that it does not put the joint where it rubs against your chin.

I thought that was what beards were for. Long tough shots I used to sometimes get low enough the cue slid on my beard at the side of my jaw, used the chin sometimes too. That old picture in my avatar is from my horse owners license in 1988.

Maybe we should market a chin and jaw protector made out of the same material as gloves! :grin:

Hu

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
@shotingarts My beard has made me miscue any number of times. I have had a few cues with very rounded joint collars, which can create a slight gap. I have lost many a beard hair when getting down low on the cue due to it catching and pulled out. I had one cue and shaft that was notorious for it.

To keep this in line with the thread, I even miscued this way on a diamond table. I am sure it was the tables fault too. Diamond should have warning in their manual about possible beard hair hazards.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
It is an owie!

@shotingarts My beard has made me miscue any number of times. I have had a few cues with very rounded joint collars, which can create a slight gap. I have lost many a beard hair when getting down low on the cue due to it catching and pulled out. I had one cue and shaft that was notorious for it.

To keep this in line with the thread, I even miscued this way on a diamond table. I am sure it was the tables fault too. Diamond should have warning in their manual about possible beard hair hazards.

I hate those very rounded joints because they make the joint a much smaller diameter than it first appears to be. Snatching hair is definitely a distraction. I had a house cue snatch a few hairs in a place I was playing. Got my opponent's attention when I brought out a big Puma pocket knife to deal with the issue before my next shot! Nope, didn't shave the beard, shaved the stick.

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What's up with all the low post count, years old posters that just jump in like they've been chatting with old friends for years?
Hmmmm:rolleyes:
Troll-o-lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know they are hustlers.. and everyone knows them there as good players they aren’t really by definition hustlers.. They are just really strong players lol

If a big bully steps up without his cue...what is he doing?

Hustling/ slumming, that's what.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I call it my big ban theory

What's up with all the low post count, years old posters that just jump in like they've been chatting with old friends for years?
Hmmmm:rolleyes:
Troll-o-lol

I don't know it for a fact but I suspect that some people created two or three extra accounts when the ban hammer was flying fast and furious. I see people posting with ten year old accounts and less than ten posts.

I was messing around earlier and looked at my "friends". Most are dead or gone, or are they?? Whatever, I don't care.

Hu