Unique mech tools

kyther

Registered
8R Cloth Stretcher

Here is a set of Visegrip 8R pliers with added leverage tab and milled serrated jaw plates.

VG8R1.jpg

Kerry
www.ridgebackrails.com

OTLB

Banned
the best mechanics creates the best tool, this is a nice one that I will be getting and trying. The best always goes last right Glen

kyther

Registered
8R cloth stretchers

The jaw plates are machined from 6061 aluminum extrusions, and matched so that the teeth align with each other when the pliers are closed. The leverage tab on the set in the picture is brazed. I have switched to MIG welding the leverage tab on recent sets I have made. Glen, I will be happy to make you a pair of your own.;)

Kerry
www.ridgebackrails.com

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Nice looking pliers, I never thought of the tab on top everything else looks overmachined but done right.

Thanks for sharing,

Craig

scottp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am just wondering
what kind of tool do ya'll use to pull staples out with...
scott
here is what i always used ....it is a cobblers tool and the points are great for starting the staple and the teeth on the edges can pull them the rest of the way

001-3.jpg

Last edited:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Berry mans staple remover, small worn out flathead screwdriver , I made a 3/8 square rod made it like a parting tool curved face from left to right and a thin tapered lip on the bottom. I havent transfered photo's to photobucket yet.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That reminds me Glen you left him in my house last June, when you pass through next time give me a call and I will run him up to the interchange.;)

Haven't you heard, they closed the freeway passing by your house indefinitely:D

Glen

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the canvas stretcher just like yours,and I use a tool with a head almost identical to yours for pulling staples(They should be available at any Home Depot,they are great).

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
That osborne staple remover is what i have i got it used and modified it no I know were to get another I love it. Thanks for the links.

Craig

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Yep Glen tought me that trick I love it but someone I was training kept breaking my awls/ center pounches. Plus the new home depots stopped carring them have to go to an older store with a larger selection.

Craig