Congratulations to Diagram Carom Designer J0elpark

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for contributing to the carom forum J0elpark!
Having a unified diagram system for our forum to use is huge.
Here is my diagram situation.To make things consistent lets use white as our cue ball? Please contribute your shot selections.

p.s. I was unable to use this diagram system because I was using Internet Explorer as the browser. With Google Chrome no problem.

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

j0elpark

Registered
Thanks, glad you guys like it. Yeah, I've only tried it on Chrome and Safari. I don't really know how well it works with other browsers.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi number13cfan,

I think your solution is very viable. The thing I like about diagram B is the inherent safety option.

Attachments

• Nice%20position%20shot_.jpg
    Nice%20position%20shot_.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Diagram B.png
    Diagram B.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 293
Hi number13cfan,

I think your solution is very viable. The thing I like about diagram B is the inherent safety option.

Position play in 3C is what separates, .600 average players from 1+ players.

For .600 and lower average players, playing 'safety' against better players is only prolonging the inevitable! JMHO!

Number13cfan

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Position play in 3C is what separates, .600 average players from 1+ players.

For .600 and lower average players, playing 'safety' against better players is only prolonging the inevitable! JMHO!

Number13cfan

I concur to this! :thumbup:

Also, don't leave out the smaller games as prerequisites!

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firstly let me apologize for my delay in responding.

Number13cfan writes: Position play in 3C is what separates, .600 average players from 1+ players.

I don't necessarily disagree with Number13cfan in principal. But his statement is a distinction without a difference. He may parse "position play" from "safety play" as often as he wishes. But he has to know they come from the same side of the coin.

Using his logic pitting a .600 player with a 1.0 players is mostly inevitable regardless what strategy the .600 player employs. If his argument is for the .600 player to just throw caution to the wind.....then he's still in the same predicament .

But at the end of the day it's fun talking about diagram situations regardless. :wink:

Firstly let me apologize for my delay in responding.

Number13cfan writes: Position play in 3C is what separates, .600 average players from 1+ players.

I don't necessarily disagree with Number13cfan in principal. But his statement is a distinction without a difference. He may parse "position play" from "safety play" as often as he wishes. But he has to know they come from the same side of the coin.

Using his logic pitting a .600 player with a 1.0 players is mostly inevitable regardless what strategy the .600 player employs. If his argument is for the .600 player to just throw caution to the wind.....then he's still in the same predicament .

But at the end of the day it's fun talking about diagram situations regardless. :wink:

Trying to score a point in 3 cushion with some form of control of the 3 balls, is hardly, 'Throwing caution to the wind!' If this is your interoperation of trying to play some form of position while at the table, then maybe your knowledge of the game needs elevating!

If you've ever had the opportunity to watch Pro players, most of them have a style of play that is VERY aggressive, hence forth, the extremely high averages in the last 10 years!

All I'm saying is, NO boxer in the history of that sport ever won a fight with defense! Who, knows, you may get a lucky punch in if you keep punching and moving forward! But, never by moving backwards! You'll just live to fight another day and get pummeled again! Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Number13cfan

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
number13cfan says:All I'm saying is, NO boxer in the history of that sport ever won a fight with defense!

Me: again number13cfan misses the point. I will reverse his flawed thinking and perhaps he may see the light. "No boxer in history of that sport ever won a fight without defense." I don't like to be as categorical as number13cfan but maybe using his words may jar his thought process.

Just having fun. :wink:

number13cfan says:All I'm saying is, NO boxer in the history of that sport ever won a fight with defense!

Me: again number13cfan misses the point. I will reverse his flawed thinking and perhaps he may see the light. "No boxer in history of that sport ever won a fight without defense." I don't like to be as categorical as number13cfan but maybe using his words may jar his thought process.

Just having fun. :wink:

I guess the last thing I could add is, by your posting thoughts, you must be one of the .600 or less players! So, I understand why you might not grasp this theory! :sorry:

Number13cfan

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Irrespective of the sophmoric posting I am encouraged by all those that want to share shot selections and solutions. At 61 I am still learning about this beautiful game.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi number13cfan,

Hi Steve,

I agree that solution B is better from a safety perspective, but isn't A, hit softly also safe? Your leaving the opponent up table of both of the other balls. While you run the risk of leaving a ball in the corner if hit too hard...a soft hit seems safe too...

Like I said in another post, I am far from good...so just an honest question.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Testing:

Billiard shot test.png

Edit: It worked! Nice tool Joel.

Anyway...Since I took the time to build it, thoughts on that shot? The white line is obviously a draw shot. A new one I am playing with. I'd normally go around the table like the red line shows. (Note, these are probably not exact paths...but you get the idea)

When would you do the white versus the red? Personally, as the yellow gets farther away from the rail then my yellow...makes me more focused on the while line path. (Red is either too thin a hit, or impossible)

Just curious. I love that diagram tool! Nice work Joel.

Last edited: