Adjusting cue butt thickness n modifying pin

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, i have 2 Olney cues and i find the butt a little too "thick " or " fat " as im really used to a really skinny handle.

Is there anyone whom i can send the cue to slim the handle down and will it be expensive to do so ?

Also , can anyone change its existing pin of 3-8-10 to 3-8-11 ( im used the hit of this pin ) and the shaft thread to a 3-8-11 ?

Will it be highly expensive ?

Any info is greatly appreciated :))

Thanks

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Why would you butcher a nice cue.......... leave it alone...........

there is no perceivable difference between the hit of the 2 screws you mention

Kim

Reactions: JC

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat butt

I'm just not used to a " fat " handle so i thought since i wanna adjust the thickness , perhaps i can change the pin too.

In my opinion, i think it makes a difference as after trying many cues, i prefer the hit of a 3-8-11 over any other pins.

JC

Coos Cues
in my opinion, i think it makes a difference as after trying many cues, i prefer the hit of a 3-8-11 over any other pins.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it is being fixed with a new pin and shaft thread...plus thinning down the butt, may I suggest:

1. adding a few inlays as long as you will need a refinish after the thinning.
2. changing the ferrules to micarta due to the ivory ban
3. trying the Ki Tec tips, they are great.
4. retapering the shafts tp 12.8 with a pro taper
5. redoing the wrap to EE, which will require thinning the handle slightly.
6. adding a weight bolt to change the ballance to 19 1/8"
7. have the cue resited and zero'd
8. be sure to get a COA

this will be a great playing $5000 Onley
Good luck

Reactions: BHQ

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????

While it is being fixed with a new pin and shaft thread...plus thinning down the butt, may I suggest:

1. adding a few inlays as long as you will need a refinish after the thinning.
2. changing the ferrules to micarta due to the ivory ban
3. trying the Ki Tec tips, they are great.
4. retapering the shafts tp 12.8 with a pro taper
5. redoing the wrap to EE, which will require thinning the handle slightly.
6. adding a weight bolt to change the ballance to 19 1/8"
7. have the cue resited and zero'd
8. be sure to get a COA

this will be a great playing $5000 Onley
Good luck

Guys, like i said, i was " asking " for information as i felt you guys knew better and i clearly stressed "in my opinion " as the 3-8-11 is more of a feel thing as i always felt better playing with a 3-8-11 pin cue.

I've always though that this is a forum for gaining knowledge about pool and cues !

Why all the criticism n sarcasm ?? i really think its uncalled for !

If i offend anyone with my ignorant question, i apologize for it now but i was just asking if its possible as i'm still considered a newbie to custom cue.

Why can't we make it a more conduscive environment for learning more from each other ? I just don"t get it !

Peace guys :)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, like i said, i was " asking " for information as i felt you guys knew better and i clearly stressed "in my opinion " as the 3-8-11 is more of a feel thing as i always felt better playing with a 3-8-11 pin cue.

I've always though that this is a forum for gaining knowledge about pool and cues !

If i offend anyone with my ignorant question, i apologize for it now but i was just asking if its possible as i'm still considered a newbie to custom cue.

Why can't we make it a more conduscive environment for learning more from each other ? I just don"t get it !

Thinning down a cue butt is fine, if you don`t like the thickness of the butt now, but it`s a pretty big thing, it might be easier to order a new cue to your specs.
As for the 3/8x10 vs 3/8x11 pin, I`m 99% certain that it`s all in your head. It`s the same diameter and length pin, just with 1 more thread per inch...
Switching out what metal the pin is made of I can see will change the feel. Steel is har, Aluminum is soft, brass is heavy etc. But even there, the difference is small.
I have cues with 3/8x10 brass, aluminum, steel and G10 pin and I really can`t tell the difference apart from a slight balance change in the lighter aluminum pin ( I guess that would be true for the titanium pin too..)

I would order a new cue and sell the Olney.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
To address the OP's questions:
1) - Just to refinish a cue is usually $100 - $150 depending on the cuemaker.
2) the pin and shaft plugging and re-tapping is simply enough for a competent repair guy, but will have an adverse effect on resale value. As for which pin is better.....it doesn't matter what pin you use, as it is your cue, and your choice.
3) reducing the thickness of the butt opens up the biggest can of worms...
First you will lose the Olney logo/signature.
Second - does it have inlays, points, and/or stitch rings? If so, there can be problems. Points will shorten, and may become uneven. Inlays may become too thin and or crack and or fall out as the router cuts them. Stitch rings may have similar issues.
There are many other little things that can make just this part a very expensive project.
4) IMO, this is the biggest issue.....The resale value of the cue just plummeted down the toilet unless you have Jeff Olney do the work, if he will even agree to do it. A lot of cuemakers don't like to do such drastic changes to a cue they built.

It maybe best to either sell this one and have one built to your specs, or try to get used to the thickness and just have the joint pin changed.
Hope this helps.
Dave

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry, i apologize...I thought your were kidding. I am sincerely sorry. Might as well get another cue. I thought I was going along. I do mean it.
Phil

Last edited:

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently it's a real big deal to change the taper of the butt, or to simply lathe the last 12-14 inches to a constant diameter. I had that done to my predators and the cuemaker almost refused, saying I was destroying the value of my cues. "So what?", I said, they're tools, and that's how I like them. Been playing with them for a few years and not looked back. Also, I guess it's a real big thing to change the joint pin. I changed all mine to g10 radials and haven't looked back. Cost $40 to $60 to change a joint, depending on who does the job. Do what you want to do, man, it's your cue, and your money.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, i apologize...I thought your were kidding. I am sincerely sorry. Might as well get another cue. I thought I was going along. I do mean it.
Phil

No worries Phil :)

And thank you guys for your information. Now i know my idea isnt such a good one as how i previously thought . Didnt know messing with a butt can change the whole cue have such an adverse effect.
Will probably look at getting something to my specs, probably a custom exceed, noticed they have really slim handles .

Good day guys :))

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries Phil :)

And thank you guys for your information. Now i know my idea isnt such a good one as how i previously thought . Didnt know messing with a butt can change the whole cue have such an adverse effect.
Will probably look at getting something to my specs, probably a custom exceed, noticed they have really slim handles .

Good day guys :))
I play with a Exceed cue and the handle is about the same thickness as a Mezz cue. Not sure what diameter your Olney is, but if you could post the diameter I can check against my Exceed cue.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a Exceed cue and the handle is about the same thickness as a Mezz cue. Not sure what diameter your Olney is, but if you could post the diameter I can check against my Exceed cue.

No worries bro, all my friends are using mezz n exceed n i find the handles so darn slim n sexy.. like a woman's waist lol

I have been thinking about customizing my exceed with gina rings in all 5 positions but its kinda expensive, about 2500 due to my ring request so im still thinking before i pull the trigger.

Exceed tends to have lesser vibration right ?
And i also heard exceed uses better wood than mezz ?
what shaft do u play w .. hybrid pro2 or wd/x 700 ?

Thanks Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries bro, all my friends are using mezz n exceed n i find the handles so darn slim n sexy.. like a woman's waist lol

I have been thinking about customizing my exceed with gina rings in all 5 positions but its kinda expensive, about 2500 due to my ring request so im still thinking before i pull the trigger.

Exceed tends to have lesser vibration right ?
And i also heard exceed uses better wood than mezz ?
what shaft do u play w .. hybrid pro2 or wd/x 700 ?

Thanks Kim

I play with a purpleheart/ebony wrapless Exceed cue. I also have a Mezz EC-7 cue and to me the quality feels very much the same. I do know that the Exceed cues have a laminated core. I play with the WX900 shaft, but I have all the other Mezz shaft. I have made a thread about Mezz shafts in the review section.

Kim

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a purpleheart/ebony wrapless Exceed cue. I also have a Mezz EC-7 cue and to me the quality feels very much the same. I do know that the Exceed cues have a laminated core. I play with the WX900 shaft, but I have all the other Mezz shaft. I have made a thread about Mezz shafts in the review section.

Kim

Oh yeah i've read ur post in the past n i know ya're a mezz ambassador lol

Seriously, you mean for the vast difference in price you do not really feel a difference ?

Some of my friends are telling me that due to the dual power core in exceed butt, exceed "seems" to be able to generate more power than mezz n lesser vibration ?
Do u feel the same way too ?

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any cuemaker can put a 3/8 11 on a cue you order. Does this mean you are going to love the hit. LOL There's a lot more to it than a pin size.

Mario

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah i've read ur post in the past n i know ya're a mezz ambassador lol

Seriously, you mean for the vast difference in price you do not really feel a difference ?

Some of my friends are telling me that due to the dual power core in exceed butt, exceed "seems" to be able to generate more power than mezz n lesser vibration ?
Do u feel the same way too ?
The balance on my Exceed cue is a bit furter back than my Mezz cue and the feedback is slightly differen (both cues have United Joint) but i tribute that to different materials in the cues, I dont think it's a quality thing.
Exceed cues are more expensive since they are semi custom cues and many models have lots of inlay work. Exceed cues comes with HP II or Exceed EX Pro shaft, while Mezz cues comes with WX700 shaft, it's $150 difference right there.
I can post a picture ofmy Mezz and Exceed, so you see how they look.