Irish Linen Wrap technique

Heyalex40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a que re-wrapped a few days ago and the way it was done has bothered me. To start the wrap, a very small hole was drilled at the base of the rings (on the handle). The linen was stuffed in the hole with glue and small piece of wood to start the wrap. Is this normal? The wrap came out fine, just shocked to see this guy take a drill to my cue. By the way, this is very reputable cue builder that many people know and dozens of cues sold on AZ over the years.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrap

Congratulations - your cue was wrapped properly. That is absolutely the correct way to do it. The other way to do it is "whip wrapped" or tucked under and several courses of linen wound around the loop, which is pulled back through. I won't do a wrap like that. The ones that have come loose - I have had to fix were all whip wrapped. Don't give it another thought. No harm was done. Use it with confidence. It won't loosen or unravel like the whip technique. It was done properly.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree - your cue was wrapped correctly.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations - your cue was wrapped properly. That is absolutely the correct way to do it. The other way to do it is "whip wrapped" or tucked under and several courses of linen wound around the loop, which is pulled back through. I won't do a wrap like that. The ones that have come loose - I have had to fix were all whip wrapped. Don't give it another thought. No harm was done. Use it with confidence. It won't loosen or unravel like the whip technique. It was done properly.

Not much more to say. The whip method is inferior.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the mighty Lucasi whip wrapped by one of Colorado's best custom cue makers 9 years ago and have had no issues.
I watched him do it.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a que re-wrapped a few days ago and the way it was done has bothered me. To start the wrap, a very small hole was drilled at the base of the rings (on the handle). The linen was stuffed in the hole with glue and small piece of wood to start the wrap. Is this normal? The wrap came out fine, just shocked to see this guy take a drill to my cue. By the way, this is very reputable cue builder that many people know and dozens of cues sold on AZ over the years.

Yep. I've done hundreds upon hundreds of linen wraps that way for...I dunno 20 years I guess. I tried the whip method and just didn't really dig on it too much.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Both methods are considered acceptable and quality of adhesive has a lot to do with it.
I use both methods on the same wrap; pin in front, tuck in back with white Elmer's.
In 30 yrs, I don't think I've ever had an issue with linen wraps.

So the drill to the cue was a little disconcerting eh? That's how it's done.
Prepare yourself should you ever have a pin pulled. There's heat involved; big heat.
Open-flame type big-heat, though some use an induction coil. Oxy/Acet works for me.
Some of this cue-work ain't for light-wghts....Lol

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always done wraps this way. Watching the interview with Ernie Gutierrez he says that is absolutely the wrong way to do a wrap. I found that very surprising.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

That is how I would have done it. I do not care much for the non drilled method as I saw too many of those come loose.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vintage Cues

Interesting responses. I don't doubt any of the experiences and observations posted, but almost all of the cues I have handled on which the wrap was unwinding were either neglected, abused, or unwinding from the center and not the ends.

I can't speak for other lines, but Palmer and Paradise cues should be whip wrapped tuck wrapped, whatever term you choose to use.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting responses. I don't doubt any of the experiences and observations posted, but almost all of the cues I have handled on which the wrap was unwinding were either neglected, abused, or unwinding from the center and not the ends.

I can't speak for other lines, but Palmer and Paradise cues should be whip wrapped tuck wrapped, whatever term you choose to use.

could you explain why ?
i am not a cuemaker