learning a skill

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
for completeness this was also in the article
If you look at human learning through this model, you can realize that all human failure in learning is triggered by certain personal or process flaws which make us get stuck at one of the first 3 stages:

People who get stuck in stage 1 don’t even think about where they can improve, are not very self-aware or they are too proud to see their flaws.
People who get stuck in stage 2 know what they can improve but don’t decide to do anything about it, they try to figure everything our by themselves or they use the wrong ideas and methods to improve.
People who get stuck in stage 3 don’t act sufficiently and consistently enough, they don’t plan their practice, they get distracted and they procrastinate.
Look at this model of learning and think about the stages where you tend to get stuck. We all tend to have at least one which is our sticking point. Becoming more aware of this and working on perfecting your learning process is one of the best ways you can use you time and energy.

I read “human failure” which kinda made me cringe a little.....failure is kinda harsh. To me, it more like “human limitations“

If someone is doing the best they can......are they a failure?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
spidey
whether i agree or not doesnt matter
this thread had nothing to do about cte vs the non believers
yet your response had to go there

As you know, threads morph. Doesn't matter what the original subject was about. In this case, a correlation could be made so I made it.

What I posted did have to do with the 4 steps you listed and how it ties together with what goes on here everyday in this particular forum.

i have stated years ago and many times that both sides should leave each other alone

Nothing could be more true. I'm all for that.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read “human failure” which kinda made me cringe a little.....failure is kinda harsh. To me, it more like “human limitations“

If someone is doing the best they can......are they a failure?

This is a completely different philosophical question
If there is a measured goal and not acheived
Then that person failed to meet that goal
If they did their best THEY are not a failure ....:smile:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
This is a completely different philosophical question
If there is a measured goal and not acheived
Then that person failed to meet that goal
If they did their best THEY are not a failure ....:smile:

You weren’t discussing achieving a goal, but learning something.

If a person has a learning disability.....are they a failure?

How well and how far someone goes is based directly on their limitations.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why is this "interesting"
ignore spideys post....PLEASE
you thoughts on the the thread??

Nothing deep. I just liked how the learning process was categorized, ultimately resulting in the ability to "just do it."

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

failing to acheive a goal is different to being a failure to me
from the perspective of the person.
i will make this personal
i have vision issues
what looks like center cue ball isnt
regardless of all the places i put my head
due to these stroke flaws i will never be really great
i am a failure at being a 700 fargo or better
i am a champion for persevering and striving to be the best i can be
:wink:
jmho

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i took karate along time ago
my sensei would give some people black belts not because they could kick so high or win the kumites
but because they maximized their ability

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
failing to acheive a goal is different to being a failure to me
from the perspective of the person.
i will make this personal
i have vision issues
what looks like center cue ball isnt
regardless of all the places i put my head
due to these stroke flaws i will never be really great
i am a failure at being a 700 fargo or better
i am a champion for persevering and striving to be the best i can be
:wink:
jmho
That sounds a lot like me, for certain.
"old, weak, small in stature, ugly, broke, poor eyesight, lazy, with smelly feets"...….hell man. I got 'em all.:wink:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
in other threads there were some discussions about "the zone"
and if you can do something very well and not think about it
well here is a model of learning i found on the web.
according to this model
the most advanced stage is when you have internalized a skill to the point you dont need to think about it
your thoughts?

This thing is a simple, powerful model of human learning and personal development. According to the model, our competencies develop in 4 stages:

Unconscious Incompetence – you don’t know, and you don’t know that you don’t know. This is the stage when you are not aware of your flaws or specific areas where you can improve.
Conscious Incompetence – you still don’t know, but at least you know that you don’t know. This is the stage when you’ve realized your flaws or specific areas where you can improve.
Conscious Competence – you know, as long as you practice consciously. This is the stage when you have discovered how to improve, the specific changes you need to make, and you practice them consciously.
Unconscious Competence – you know, without even thinking about it. This is the stage when you have practiced something so much that it became automatic and you now do it naturally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from a book written in the early 70s - atm not sure about the names of the two guys who made this study. In their book they ve also shown up with a pyramid picture called the "hierarchy of competence".
Interesting stuff-- if you want to get more into detail about this stuff go for what R. Nideffer wrote and worked on. Also goes into this direction- cognitive skills etcetera.

Ha- just found it :)
"Management trainer Martin M. Broadwell described the model as "the four levels of teaching" in February 1969.[1] Paul R. Curtiss and Phillip W. Warren mentioned the model in their 1973 book The Dynamics of Life Skills Coaching.[2] The model was used at Gordon Training International by its employee Noel Burch in the 1970s; there it was called the "four stages for learning any new skill".[3] Later the model was frequently (but incorrectly) attributed to Abraham Maslow, although the model does not appear in his major works.[4]"

have a smooth stroke everyone.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from a book written in the early 70s - atm not sure about the names of the two guys who made this study. In their book they ve also shown up with a pyramid picture called the "hierarchy of competence".
Interesting stuff-- if you want to get more into detail about this stuff go for what R. Nideffer wrote and worked on. Also goes into this direction- cognitive skills etcetera.

Ha- just found it :)
"Management trainer Martin M. Broadwell described the model as "the four levels of teaching" in February 1969.[1] Paul R. Curtiss and Phillip W. Warren mentioned the model in their 1973 book The Dynamics of Life Skills Coaching.[2] The model was used at Gordon Training International by its employee Noel Burch in the 1970s; there it was called the "four stages for learning any new skill".[3] Later the model was frequently (but incorrectly) attributed to Abraham Maslow, although the model does not appear in his major works.[4]"

have a smooth stroke everyone.

always enjoy your posts
be well ingo and stay safe