Stats -- Bergman vs. Gomez 8-Ball Race to 100, July 2020

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from the Justin Bergman vs. Roberto Gomez "Champions Challenge" 8-Ball race to 100 played at Racks on the Rocks in West Peoria, IL on July 10-13, 2020. PoolActionTV provided pay-per-view streaming.

This match was originally scheduled as a 3-day race to 100 game wins, with the play stopping when the leader reached 35 on Day 1 and 70 on Day 2. However, a storm knocked out the power on Day 2 with the score tied at 47-47, and they could not resume that day. The match was extended to 4 days, with Day 3 ending when the leader reached 80. Remote commentary (by phone) was provided by Larry Schwartz. Ray Hansen also commentated each day from the site. Bergman won the match 100 - 91.

Conditions -- The conditions for this call-shot 8-Ball match included:
- Diamond 9-foot table with pro-cut pockets (4½" corners);​
- Simonis 860 blue cloth;​
- Aramith Tournament balls, including a measles cue ball;​
- breaker racks using a triangle rack;​
- winner breaks from anywhere behind the head string;​
- take the group you make more of on the break (table open if breaker makes same number of each group, or fouls, or breaks dry);​
- ball in hand behind the head string after a foul on the break;​
- if an 8-ball is made on a successful break, the breaker has the option to either spot it and continue play or to re-break;​
- jump cues allowed;​
- 3-foul rule in effect;​
- cue ball fouls only; and​
- lag for opening break (won by Gomez).​

■ Bergman broke 99 times -- successful 52 times (resulting in 37 game wins and 15 losses), 8 fouls (1 win and 7 losses), and 39 dry (19 wins and 20 losses).

■ Gomez broke 92 times -- successful 55 times (resulting in 41 game wins and 14 losses), 6 fouls (all losses), and 31 dry (8 wins and 23 losses).

Match results, by day (Bergman's score first)
Day 1 -- 35 - 29​
Day 2 -- 12 - 18 (2-day total 47 - 47)​
Day 3 -- 33 - 25 (3-day total 80 - 72)​
Day 4 -- 20 - 19​
Total -- 100 - 91​

Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Bergman -- 52 of 99 (53%)​
Gomez -- 55 of 92 (60%)​
Total -- 107 of 191 (56%)​

Fouled and/or dry breaks:
Bergman -- 47 of 99 (47%)​
Gomez -- 37 of 92 (40%)​
Total -- 84 of 191 (44%)​

Breaker won game:
Bergman -- 57 of 99 (58%)​
Gomez -- 49 of 92 (53%)​
Total -- 106 of 191 (55%)​

Break-and-run games -- on all breaks:
Bergman -- 28 of 99 (28%)​
Gomez -- 39 of 92 (42%)​
Total -- 67 of 191 (35%)​

Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Bergman -- 28 of 52 (54%)​
Gomez -- 39 of 55 (71%)​
Total -- 67 of 107 (63%)​

Fouls and foul rates: [Note: "games at the table" means total games less opponent's B&R games.]
Bergman -- 14 fouls, including 8 on the break, in 152 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 10.9 games at the table)​
Gomez -- 19 fouls, including 6 on the break, in 163 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 8.6 games at the table)​
Total -- 33 fouls in 191 games (1 per 5.8 games)​

Missed shots and missed-shot rates (est.):
Bergman -- 44 misses in 152 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 3.5 games at the table)​
Gomez -- 43 misses in 163 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 3.8 games at the table)​
Total -- 87 misses in 191 games (1 per 2.2 games)​

Games with 1 or more safeties (est.)
By Bergman only -- 5​
By Gomez only -- 7​
By both -- 8​
Total games with 1 or more safeties -- 10% (20 of 191)​

Average number of balls made on the break:
Bergman -- 0.7 on all breaks, 1.2 on successful breaks​
Gomez -- 0.9 on all breaks, 1.4 on successful breaks​
Total -- 0.8 on all breaks, 1.3 on successful breaks​

Run-outs from first shot after break:
By Bergman after his own successful break (B&R's) -- 28 of 52 (54%)​
By Bergman after Gomez's failed break -- 27 of 37 (73%)​
By Bergman, total -- 55 of 89 (62%)​

By Gomez after his own successful break (B&R's) -- 39 of 55 (71%)​
By Gomez after Bergman's failed break -- 23 of 47 (49%)​
By Gomez, total -- 62 of 102 (61%)​

Total for Bergman and Gomez -- 117 of 191 (61%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Bergman's break:
By Bergman (B&R's) -- 28 of 52 (54%)​
By Gomez -- 23 of 47 (49%)​
Total -- 51 of 99 (52%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Gomez's break:
By Gomez (B&R's) -- 39 of 55 (71%)​
By Bergman -- 27 of 37 (73%)​
Total -- 66 of 92 (72%)​

Break-and-run packages
Bergman's 28 B&R games consisted of 2 3-packs, 7 2-packs, and 8 singles.​
Gomez's 39 B&R games consisted of 2 4-packs, 3 3-packs, 4 2-packs and 14 singles.​

Number of innings -- 74% (141 of 191) of the games ended in one inning. 67 games ended on the breaker's first inning (B&R games), 74 games ended on the non-breaker's first inning, 27 games ended on the breaker's second inning, and 8 games ended on the non-breaker's second inning. Only 15 games (8%) went beyond the non-breaker's second visit to the table.

8-balls on the break -- None.

Match length (including racking and timeouts)
Day 1 -- 8 hours, 42 minutes​
Day 2 -- 3 hours, 30 min.​
Day 3 -- 5 hrs, 45 min.​
Day 4 -- 5 hrs, 12 min.​
Total -- 23 hours, 9 min.​

Average minutes per game
Day 1 -- 8.2 (approx. 7.3 not counting timeouts)​
Day 2 -- 7.0 (6.6)​
Day 3 -- 5.9 (5.9)​
Day 4 -- 8.0 (7.7)​
Total -- 7.3 (6.8)​

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11 more BNR and 14% higher for Gomez. Higher % wet breaks too, but not extremely high.

Had i just looked at those stats, I would've guess Gomez won.

Thanks for the stats.

Shane would run away from both.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
11 more BNR and 14% higher for Gomez. Higher % wet breaks too, but not extremely high.

Had i just looked at those stats, I would've guess Gomez won.

Thanks for the stats.

Shane would run away from both.

The break stats from Bergman/Gomez are, in my opinion, pretty poor. I don't think Bergman beats the top guys breaking wet just a little over 50% of the time.

During the World Pool Series (Darren Appleton's tour of 2017-18), the break rates were much higher. The most successful player in the eight ball events was, by far, Klenti Kaci.

Jayson Shaw, Chris Melling, Skyler Woodward, Darren Appleton, and Dennis Orcullo also had a reasonable measure of success in the eight ball events. Shane underperformed all of them, but I agree that Shane beats Bergman and Gomez.

Shane, in 2013, participated in what I believe to have been the greatest eight ball match ever played when he squared off against Carlo Biado at the Rio in the pro event during the BCA National 8-ball Championships. In my 2013 match of the year thread, many thought it to be the best pool match of 2013. Here's what I wrote back then:

Van Boening vs Biado at the US Open 8-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Each player ran 9 of his first ten racks from the break and the finals stood at 10-10 in a win by two format. At 11-11, Biado made the fatal mistake and Shane ran out for a truly memorable 13-11 win.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
By reading these stats i just wonder how Gomez was able to NOT win this set-- "scratching my head"

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break stats from Bergman/Gomez are, in my opinion, pretty poor. I don't think Bergman beats the top guys breaking wet just a little over 50% of the time.

During the World Pool Series (Darren Appleton's tour of 2017-18), the break rates were much higher. The most successful player in the eight ball events was, by far, Klenti Kaci.

Jayson Shaw, Chris Melling, Skyler Woodward, Darren Appleton, and Dennis Orcullo also had a reasonable measure of success in the eight ball events. Shane underperformed all of them, but I agree that Shane beats Bergman and Gomez.

Shane, in 2013, participated in what I believe to have been the greatest eight ball match ever played when he squared off against Carlo Biado at the Rio in the pro event during the BCA National 8-ball Championships. In my 2013 match of the year thread, many thought it to be the best pool match of 2013. Here's what I wrote back then:
I wish that 2013 Biado-SVB match was available for viewing

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It’s incredible that Bergman won 48% of the games in which he broke dry.

It's more evidence for what most of us already realize --- Justin Bergman is the best tactical player in American pool. He's the ultimate grinder in racks that must be fought for, and usually wins the race to the shot.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman was breaking from the side and using a second ball break at times, usually the side pocket on the side which he broke from had a huge cluster of balls. Feel like Gomez got out maneuvered or at times tried to take on too tough of outs. I only watched Sunday so may have been different on different days.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's more evidence for what most of us already realize --- Justin Bergman is the best tactical player in American pool. He's the ultimate grinder in racks that must be fought for, and usually wins the race to the shot.

I didn't watch this match- did Bergman take forever to shoot like he has in the past?

I think he is a great player, but unwatchable at times due to how slow he plays

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

During the World Pool Series (Darren Appleton's tour of 2017-18), the break rates were much higher. ,,,

No -- For the streamed matches as a whole in most of the World Pool Series 8-Ball events, break stats were quite low. This was because of tough equipment and breaking rules. Here's a post that compares stats for a bunch of 8-Ball events, including the WPS events: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6202771&postcount=15

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, but Gomez played too soft, also. Roberto needs to go back to the Philippines and strengthen that heart by getting in some tough money matches.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No -- For the streamed matches as a whole in most of the World Pool Series 8-Ball events, break stats were quite low. This was because of tough equipment and breaking rules. Here's a post that compares stats for a bunch of 8-Ball events, including the WPS events: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6202771&postcount=15

Well, if you are talking about the absurdly difficult stream table at Steinway, which was much tighter and played much tougher than all the other tables, perhaps you are right. I went to every one of the World Pool Series events, however, and overall, the players did not struggle with the 8-ball break.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, if you are talking about the absurdly difficult stream table at Steinway, which was much tighter and played much tougher than all the other tables, perhaps you are right. I went to every one of the World Pool Series events, however, and overall, the players did not struggle with the 8-ball break.

Yes, my stats are only for matches played on the streaming tables in those events. One of Darren's objectives was to make the game more difficult, with more player interaction. The tough-playing tables (at least on stream) and rule tweaks (all the tables) certainly did that. A key rule change for the first 4 events was requiring that the break be from outside a central box that was 2 diamonds wide (events 1, 3, and 4) or 3 diamonds wide (event 2). Then he eased up for the 5th 8-Ball event,in Bucharest, with wider pockets, a racking template, and no break box.

I wish I had some stats from the non-streamed tables (easier pockets) using the near-the-rails break boxes, but I don't. Your observation that the players did not struggle with the break (on those tables, at least) is interesting and appreciated.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Winning streaks (number of games won in a row):

[Counts for Bergman first, then Gomez]

1 game -- 24 times, 21 times
2 games -- 8, 10
3 games -- 7, 5
4 games -- 2, 3
5 games -- 0, 2
6 games -- 2, 1
7 games -- 1, 1
12 games -- 1, 0

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Shane vs Biado match was probably open after the break rules. It was very intense. I think it was a final to a tournament. I dont know how it wasn't recorded or was lost.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winning streaks (number of games won in a row):

[Counts for Bergman first, then Gomez]

1 game -- 24 times, 21 times
2 games -- 8, 10
3 games -- 7, 5
4 games -- 2, 3
5 games -- 0, 2
6 games -- 2, 1
7 games -- 1, 1
12 games -- 1, 0

Bergman won 12 consecutive?? Wow, what was the score at that point if you recall?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bergman won 12 consecutive?? Wow, what was the score at that point if you recall?

It was Day 3, with the score 65-65. Bergman then won 12 games in a row -- 6 by B&R (a single, a 2-pack, and a 3-pack), 3 runouts by Bergman following misses by Gomez (after Bergman broke dry), 1 when Gomez slopped in an 8-ball, 1 in that crazy game where they both shot the wrong balls, and a runout by Bergman after Gomez's dry break (the first of the 12 wins).

Last edited: