what percentage of shots do you hit with open/closed bridge?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
generally-speaking

I'd say 80/20 for myself
would be more open, if I could stay off the rail better :p

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Jones was commentating and said, “I’ve told my students this shot requires a closed bridge but I’ve never told anyone this shot requires an open bridge.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the stroke too. If you hold the stick long and/or tend to stroke down at the ball an open bridge is all that's necessary. If you grip closer to the balance point and/or favor a "moarer" level cue, a loop bridge might be moar prudent.

FWIW I favor a loop bridge with a levelish stroke and gripping towards the back of the cue. I never squeeze the bridge. There is always air at the top of the loop which might not be the intended distinction when switching from an open bridge.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned the game as a kid playing snooker exclusively. I had to force myself to use a closed bridge.

On certain shots when I need to spin the ball aggressively or when I'm stretched out over the table I use a closed bridge. Probably 80% open.

Guys like Appleton and Zielinski who exclusively use the open bridge are uncommon.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I only use a closed bridge for two circumstances:

1. When I need to hit the CB as low and level as possible - a “modified” closed bridge allows that more easily.

2. When there isn’t enough room to make my open bridge - my closed bridge can be more compact.

So easily 90+% open bridge.

On high spin shots the shaft often jumps out of my open bridge, but it doesn’t affect the shot (OB’s already gone) and I mostly don’t notice any more.

pj
chgo

crazy8legs

Registered
This has been an interesting topic for me recently. I used to go back and forth, not thinking about it too much. But I'm trying to improve my mechanics (yet again) and have been watching a lot of snooker instructional videos (they are the most technically sound cueists imo). They all play with an open bridge. (Also, most of the good ones do not finish the stroke with the tip coming down unless they're drawing the ball.)

So I'm practicing with an open bridge more and I noticed that my accuracy on where I'm hitting the cb and also the ob is better with an open bridge. But the closed bridge still feels better... So I'm a little torn.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Jones was commentating and said, “I’ve told my students this shot requires a closed bridge but I’ve never told anyone this shot requires an open bridge.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure if someone was jacked up on a tree topper using a looped bridge, JJ would say....

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I shot 100% open because it was more comfortable. Any time I tried the closed bridge I felt awkward and just switched back right away.

This year I met a guy where I was practicing and we have been playing pretty regularly. He is much more experienced than I am and he likes to give me pointers when he sees me do thing he thinks is wrong.
I am always willing to learn so I try out most of his advise to see if it works for me.

OK that said, he kept harping on me about my bridge being a big reason I was struggling with a lot of my shots. I still resisted for a while.
Then I finally decided to commit to the closed bridge for real. After forcing my hand into a closed bridge for many repeated shots until the distraction of my imagined palsied hand became a relaxed solid bridge.
Once it was comfortable and my hand could naturally go into either bridge without thinking I feel like many of my shots did improve.

Open: Rail, shooting over a ball, long stretch shots etc.
Closed: All other normal shots.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Personally the percentage is probably close to 98% Open, 2% Closed for me. It's pretty close to 100% Open for me and I'll go months without using a Closed bridge. I'm a pretty average player though.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed bridge gives me the feel of much more control over my shots...it is just more comfortable when I have to let my stroke out at all. If I am just bunting balls in at pocket speed, I have no issue with the open bridge. But when I need to hit spin or with pace, it is alway closed.

Interestingly, I find myself at work practicing closed bridges with pencils and pens...weird, huh?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My default is open, (snooker fundamentals) but switched to closed when necessary. Usually when I'm in circus mode.

I'd guess and say I'm 95% open.

As a side note, as far as which one is better... Take notice of who wears a glove or has their hand covered in talc, compared to the bridge style. Closed bridge'rs gravitate to these aids to compensate for the added drag on their stroke because of that bridge style. It only makes sense to use a closed bridge if you're squeezing the cue throughout the loop, so added drag is the byproduct of that style. If you're not squeezing it, it may as well be open.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
most of the good [snooker players] do not finish the stroke with the tip coming down unless they're drawing the ball.
That might be because they use a "piston" stroke (moving their elbow up and down to keep the cue level throughout the stroke).

pj
chgo

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread, but are there shots than can only be done with a closed bridge vs an open bridge that aren't weird bridging issues (like masse shots, certain rail shots)? I guess what I'm asking is do you believe you can get more spin or something with a closed bridge vs an open bridge or maybe it just makes some of these shots easier?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For most situations
open bridge for delicate or touch shots
closed bridge for power shots.
but depends at times how close to a rail or pocket the cue ball is.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...are there shots than can only be done with a closed bridge vs an open bridge that aren't weird bridging issues (like masse shots, certain rail shots)?
No. The differences are purely preference.

Many think a closed bridge is better for high spin/speed shots, but that's just discomfort with the shaft jumping out of their open bridge (it doesn't really matter). You can suspend the cue on strings and let it swing into the CB without any bridge, and it won't make any difference.

pj
chgo

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned the game as a kid playing snooker exclusively. I had to force myself to use a closed bridge.

On certain shots when I need to spin the ball aggressively or when I'm stretched out over the table I use a closed bridge. Probably 80% open.

Guys like Appleton and Zielinski who exclusively use the open bridge are uncommon.

The 132 snooker players on the official tour use open bridge nearly of the time. 999/1000 shots, minimum.

My observation. Most kids (like me) started playing on a snooker table with adults who played snooker. From the start we were given informal instruction. Few snooker players started playing Snooker on the basement snooker table or in a snooker club with no experienced players. We used an open bridge from the start. It’s our default or natural way to hold a cue.

In contrast ‘pool’ players picked up a cue on their own and banged balls around at a friends house, a bar or whatever. Many used a closed bridge as it makes sense when new and trying to stabilize a shot. It feels natural to them.

Last edited: