Why not Shane vs Lee Van Corteza

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This could happen if all the stars align just right. Dennis is THE MAN in Asia right now!

Lets' just hope he wasn't tuned in to TAR on Sunday.

By the way, really enjoyed the commentary Jay! The TAR studio is perfect for viewing - from the camera angles, we could see the table better than the audience.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
I'm not so sure about that. I loved my seat 10ft away from the foot rail. Also, Justin has big screens for the audience to see what the stream is seeing. :thumbup: I will definitely be going back for more.

Lets' just hope he wasn't tuned in to TAR on Sunday.

By the way, really enjoyed the commentary Jay! The TAR studio is perfect for viewing - from the camera angles, we could see the table better than the audience.

NineBallNut

Silver Member
I spoke with Dennis and he will play anyone on his home turf. It's not easy for the those pinoys to just come to the US and play a long set, especially for some serious cash. Keep in mind he pretty much has unlimited backers in Manila. When I spoke with him, one of his backers is Manny Pacquaio, so if Shane wants to bet high, tell him to bring as much as he wants.

ok let's not act like pacquaio isn't in the U.S. enough times to be able to back dennis against shane in america. The guy fights in vegas plenty. It's weak sauce to say go ahead and bring all the money you want to my home turf. Shane has been over there gambling many times. I can't believe a sum of like 20000 per man isn't enough to bring this guy over here. Shane is not unbeatable but if he was easy money these guys would be lining up to play take his cash.

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Corteza is the best the Phillipines has. Shane has a losing record against him and a long race to 100 would really be something to watch. Shane would destroy Dennis.

In 2006, a couple of us was with Dennis in Calgary when he beat SVB in a gambling match. I was right there and recall Shane saying " I will never gamble against you again". I have not been in touch in the pool world for sometime but, during this time, Dennis has no problem playing against Shane. Has Shane and Dennis rematched again?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In 2006, a couple of us was with Dennis in Calgary when he beat SVB in a gambling match. I was right there and recall Shane saying " I will never gamble against you again". I have not been in touch in the pool world for sometime but, during this time, Dennis has no problem playing against Shane. Has Shane and Dennis rematched again?

You can bet your bottom dollar that Shane will gamble with Dennis and that there is not a player living that Shane won't play. He knows what all the top players are capable of and knows that he doesn't HAVE to win. But by now he knows what he is capable of and what he has to do TO WIN.

So far in TAR matches Shane has played everyone just what they wanted. He has accepted everyone's conditions and played them. He played bar box with Scott Frost, played Earl on the 5x10 like Earl wanted and then Earl and his backer's nuts shriveled up and they refused to play Shane on the 9 footer as promised, Shane played Alex on the size pockets Alex asked for.

Shane has gone to the Philippines many times and matched up and gotten beaten and beaten others. He isn't afraid of anyone at this point.

In the first match with Alex where Shane gave it away he learned that there is no safe margin until the last ball falls.

All the Filipino backers have enough connections to know that their money is safe if they ship it in betting on their player in Vegas.

I WISH Manny Paquiao would get involved and Joe Rogan too. Either of those guys could do so much for pool just by mentioning TAR. They both should understand how much this format means since they are both involved in head to head battle type sports.

Imagine Joe or Manny hyping up a pool match for weeks before it goes off. They know the business, they know promotion.

In the end who really cares whether Dennis or Shane is "better". We just want to see them match up TAR style in the TARPIT for 3 days with no escape!!!

:)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
That would be epic. Jay would you think that a round robin say 5 player field would work? Everyone puts say 10K in the middle. They all play each other say race to 5. Top 2 go in the middle for the whole thing.

Now that I think about it...how would you protect against someone out of it dumping. Never mind. On a side note Jay I thought you did a great job. 8 hours of play a day with no script is tough work. You called it like you saw it. I too thought Shane was lost in a fog...and then came the "Shane Train" and all Alex saw were tail lights. Nice work sir.

This could happen if all the stars align just right. Dennis is THE MAN in Asia right now!

nvichie

Registered
ok let's not act like pacquaio isn't in the U.S. enough times to be able to back dennis against shane in america. The guy fights in vegas plenty. It's weak sauce to say go ahead and bring all the money you want to my home turf. Shane has been over there gambling many times. I can't believe a sum of like 20000 per man isn't enough to bring this guy over here. Shane is not unbeatable but if he was easy money these guys would be lining up to play take his cash.

I think when Manny is in Vegas he's focused on more important things. (boxing, maybe?) And when he's in Manila, his duties as a congressman are quite busy. However, Manny always helps out the Pinoy players if they need a stakehorse. According to dennis, Manny never said no.
Yes Shane has gambled there and I've seen him gamble there live with my own eyes, but it wasn't big. How many times have the Pinoys ( Efren, Busty, etc, have come to US soil and gambled large)? I think a lot would agree many times. These guys don't need to line up to play Shane. Dennis will never back down from a match. It's unfortunate Shane and Dennis didn't match up at DCC 2011 bc both were playing nonstop and never lost in the 9 ball so they ended up meeting in the finals in which dennis won. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see the 2 match up either in the US Open or DCC 2012.

nvichie

Registered
Isnt that what every pool player says to their potential opponent when they are trying to stir up action? :thumbup:

God knows I do lol.

Not if you want to be the best. I can't remember Efren ever saying that. He just say's "he's lucky" after he beats you

poolsfool

Didn't Shane mention something like he got beat by Efren last time they played in the PI? And he also mentioned that Efren was beating everybody for the cash. Shane busted Alex up pretty bad over the weekend. Damn

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course. Who doesn't want to play on their home turf? There is no problem for Dennis to travel he has been to the USA several times.

Tell Dennis to bring his backer to lv and they can bet as high as they want to. Let's see the first million dollar tar match.

Shane has gone to you many times already.

He ain't scared. Dennis is though.

Completely agree dude.. like dennis has some issue traveling to the USA with manny backing him :rolleyes:

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can bet your bottom dollar that Shane will gamble with Dennis and that there is not a player living that Shane won't play. He knows what all the top players are capable of and knows that he doesn't HAVE to win. But by now he knows what he is capable of and what he has to do TO WIN.

So far in TAR matches Shane has played everyone just what they wanted. He has accepted everyone's conditions and played them. He played bar box with Scott Frost, played Earl on the 5x10 like Earl wanted and then Earl and his backer's nuts shriveled up and they refused to play Shane on the 9 footer as promised, Shane played Alex on the size pockets Alex asked for.

Shane has gone to the Philippines many times and matched up and gotten beaten and beaten others. He isn't afraid of anyone at this point.

In the first match with Alex where Shane gave it away he learned that there is no safe margin until the last ball falls.

All the Filipino backers have enough connections to know that their money is safe if they ship it in betting on their player in Vegas.

I WISH Manny Paquiao would get involved and Joe Rogan too. Either of those guys could do so much for pool just by mentioning TAR. They both should understand how much this format means since they are both involved in head to head battle type sports.

Imagine Joe or Manny hyping up a pool match for weeks before it goes off. They know the business, they know promotion.

In the end who really cares whether Dennis or Shane is "better". We just want to see them match up TAR style in the TARPIT for 3 days with no escape!!!

:)

Hell yes now we're talking about some fuking money already.

Put a half million on it and I bet your @ss shane will fly to THEIR home turf and play ANYONE

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
he went 7-0 against them but how many times was he beaten by them in the past?

He lost to Kiamco, Lee Vann and Francisco more than once each. He did beat some of the other guys, including Efren. In his last long match with Franscisco in DCC (2009) he lost as well. He beat Efren that same year. Efren remains the best Rotation player in the PI, and that is the ultimate game over there.

P.S. It's not easy to put together these challenge matches. The top players have busy schedules and are not always in the same place at the same time, with free time to gamble. The stars may align only once or twice a year at best. That said I will be working on an Orcullo-SVB match. Like I said it could happen.

Last edited:

dexd_man

Registered
That all changed this year, when he went 7-0. Still no match with Dennis. He's the last guy Shane wants to play for obvious reasons. But I can see it happening sometime soon.

Dennis had beaten Shane when they came here in Dubai for the World 8-Ball Championships last February, which Dennis won. They agreed to play a "Series" match. 1st set was 9-ball, 2nd set was 10-ball. If they split the sets, then they would play the 3rd set as 8-ball. All sets were race to 17, winner breaks. Bet was almost 5K USD.

Dennis won the 9-ball (1st set). Score was 17-13.
Dennis won the 10-ball (2nd set) also. Score was 17-15.

Dennis is currently "THE MAN" in Asia right now. He's more polished than what he was when Yang beat him a few years ago. I bet if they would play again today, IMHO Dennis would now win.

All TOP players in the Philippines cannot match with Dennis today. All of them has lost badly with him even with "weight" and no backers would lay their money against Dennis nowadays.

Therefore it's the most fitting scenario if Shane would play Dennis than anyone else!!!

Last edited:

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Looks like SVB is the only US player not afraid to mix with anybody, win or lose. But I guess it's only money he looses. The knowledge he gained is remarkable.

chambalero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis had beaten Shane when they came here in Dubai for the World 8-Ball Championships last February, which Dennis won. They agreed to play a "Series" match. 1st set was 9-ball, 2nd set was 10-ball. If they split the sets, then they would play the 3rd set as 8-ball. All sets were race to 17, winner breaks. Bet was almost 5K USD.

Dennis won the 9-ball (1st set). Score was 17-13.
Dennis won the 10-ball (2nd set) also. Score was 17-15.

Dennis is currently "THE MAN" in Asia right now. He's more polished than what he was when Yang beat him a few years ago. I bet if they would play again today, IMHO Dennis would now win.

All TOP players here in the Philippines cannot match with Dennis today. All of them has lost badly with him even with "weight" and no backers would lay their money against Dennis nowadays.

Therefore it's the most fitting scenario if Shane would play Dennis than anyone else!!!

no way! that's not possible because dennis is afraid of shane and always ducks him :rolleyes::grin:

dexd_man

Registered
no way! that's not possible because dennis is afraid of shane and always ducks him :rolleyes::grin:

Ask Shane!!!

We all are witnesses to that epic encounter here in Dubai. They played in Billiard World. The match started at 11pm and finished at 430am.

Shane played great, but Dennis is one level up than him (or should I say than most PROs) in most aspects. That's why Shane is avoiding Dennis whenever Dennis is being matched up with him.

chambalero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
puso mo tol ;) so you're saying dennis is not afraid of shane and its the other way around? but some people here are claiming... :D

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Ronnie Alcano (three times), Jeff De Luna, Roberto Gomez (twice) and Carlo Biado (the rising star over there). He was seven for seven on that trip in April!

Based on this list and my knowledge of the 10 ball break!!!

The wins against Gomez and Jeff De Luna are strong! Those two really can break the balls hard. But, the filipinos still break from the rail from what I have seen especially Orcollo!!! I guess the head ball break is his strategy!!!!! Anyway, it goes to show the break is all about technique and ZERO brute strength.

I am surprised by the learning curve they have exhibited on published techniques and systems. The Star Billiards training facility is FABULOUS!!! But, it lacks a reading section, Library of Books and Training Videos, no break racks or other training tools & materials. These players tend to rely on natural ability and instincts!!!!!

I have not seen one Training DVD or Device from the filipino's and I am rather surprised by the lack of educational material from them on the topic of pocket billiards?????

Shane's break has PROVEN effective and if you cant beat them then join them is all I can say and work on copying shane's break technique. I loved the match and still believe alex's kicking and safety game is far superior. But, his break is so weak compared to shane's it really means little to nothing!!!!!

KD