Old
  (#16)
cdavis9771
Yes this dog will bite;)
cdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond reputecdavis9771 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-20-2006, 06:17 AM

Gambling for money is a totally diferent mentality than tournament playing. I know many gamblers that looked as if they could beat the best in the world. But when they play tournaments they just don't get the job done. There are some exceptions but percentage wise the tourney players come out on top. Just as when the tourney players try to gamble they dont fair as well. It is just a different mentallity.

Did you see that? The fan blew my ball offline.

Old
  (#17)
cuetechasaurus
AzB Silver Member
cuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond reputecuetechasaurus has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 808

10-29-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis9771
Gambling for money is a totally diferent mentality than tournament playing. I know many gamblers that looked as if they could beat the best in the world. But when they play tournaments they just don't get the job done. There are some exceptions but percentage wise the tourney players come out on top. Just as when the tourney players try to gamble they dont fair as well. It is just a different mentallity.
I've noticed that too, unless a tourney player is getting staked by someone. They have a tendency to play the way they usually do in tourneys as long as they aren't gambling with their own money.

-1000 Rep campaign completed. Thanks everyone

???????????
Old
  (#18)
Pinocchio
AzB Silver Member
Pinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond repute

??????????? - 12-01-2006, 08:08 AM

I was at Joe burns tour. in Dayton maybe 1989. The Miz was playing in the tour. in between matches he would play poker in the back room. He was hardly paying any attention to his cards mostly watching TV. They had a little TV mounted on wall. Burn's tour. was schuled while NCAA mens basketball toun. was in progress. I was sitting beside him an we got in conversation about one of the teams. He told me his team was down in the game. He told me he was on a bad run. He had bet on every single game that was being played that day. So he was playing pool,poker and
betting on ball games. My guess would be he did gamble. He just seemed like one of the guys. I've always been a fan of The Miz he was a great player.
Pinocchio

Steve and Gambling
Old
  (#19)
SteveMizerak
AzB Bronze Member
SteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond reputeSteveMizerak has a reputation beyond repute

Steve and Gambling - 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Sorry to disappoint you, but Steve was not known for his gambling. He did occasionally play a 14.1 match for a few bucks but that just wasn't his thing.
He worked hard for his money as a schoolteacher and had a family to support, so gambling didn't appeal to him.

In tournaments he was a big favorite to win the money, and he didn't consider that to be a gamble. And besides, who really wanted to play Steve Mizerak Straight Pool for money (or 9-Ball for that matter). I can only recall a couple of occasions where someone barked at Steve to play. Once they saw that he was willing, they backed down.
Jay,

Thank you for the kind words about my father (especially in SI)..but, I have to ask.....do you really think gambling wasn't something he didn't do? Every time I'd see him play at West End when he was through NJ, he'd be right there on Table 1 and it wasn't to put an exhibition on. In his younger years he and my Uncle Pete Margo gambled and they did it often. How else did he stay sharp if not a friendly wager here or there to keep him fresh?

Thanks,
Steve

Old
  (#20)
lou the greek
AzB Silver Member
lou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2009, 04:38 PM

I watched Steve give Hawaiian Brian the 7 and the break for a 1g, a game in the late 70s at 4 Seasons Steve came up a few games after 2 days.

Old
  (#21)
poolandpokerman
AzB Silver Member
poolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-21-2009, 04:24 AM

While I was in college in Bowling Green KY in 65-66, Steve use to come in and play our pool hall owner Johnnie Edwards 9 ball on a 4x8. The place was always packed, it was about $100 a game or something like that. He was young and went to college. They would make a weekend match. Great shooting, not sure who got the cash, Johnny was a monster on the 4x8, Buddy wrote about him in his book. Tom

Playing Cues: Wes Hunter
Backup cues: Nitti
Break/Jump: Jerry Powers 16th Anniversary Jerico Stinger
Cases: Too many

Old
  (#22)
JG-in-KY
AzB Silver Member
JG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolandpokerman View Post
While I was in college in Bowling Green KY in 65-66, Steve use to come in and play our pool hall owner Johnnie Edwards 9 ball on a 4x8. The place was always packed, it was about $100 a game or something like that. He was young and went to college. They would make a weekend match. Great shooting, not sure who got the cash, Johnny was a monster on the 4x8, Buddy wrote about him in his book. Tom
You had to play someone who looked like him. Have you ever seen anyone with glasses that thick that could play that good? Yeah Johnny could play!

Old
  (#23)
poolandpokerman
AzB Silver Member
poolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond reputepoolandpokerman has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2009, 09:41 AM

You had to play someone who looked like him. Have you ever seen anyone with glasses that thick that could play that good? Yeah Johnny could play!

No, looked like bottoms of coke bottles, a group of us followed Johnnie up to Johnson City one year, he was not as good on a 4.5x9 but still could play. Did you play at his pool hall, I remember they had a little counter in the front where they cooked food. I am from Dawson Springs. Tom

Old
  (#24)
JG-in-KY
AzB Silver Member
JG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond reputeJG-in-KY has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2009, 12:33 PM

No, looked like bottoms of coke bottles, a group of us followed Johnnie up to Johnson City one year, he was not as good on a 4.5x9 but still could play. Did you play at his pool hall, I remember they had a little counter in the front where they cooked food. I am from Dawson Springs. Tom[/QUOTE]

No I was never in his room. I saw him play in a tournament in Somerset around 1980 or 81. He seemed to be in his 60s then. He was dominating the tourney until he ran into another home grown KY boy....Bill Stigall. I am from Whitley City, about 25 miles south of Somerset.

Old
  (#25)
poolandpokerman
AzB Silver Member

05-24-2009, 04:49 AM

That was him, never knew Bill Stigall, have heard about him on this forum.....

Old
  (#26)
mosconiac
Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
mosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 624

06-19-2009, 01:38 PM

The old timers in my area have a lot of good stories to tell about a college-aged Miz. I've been told on many occasions that the Miz (wisely) employed members of the football team as protection when "working".

Primary Cue: Barry Szamboti (Pic1/Pic2)
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Case: Jack Justis (Pic)
Table: Kim Steel 9' (Pic)
Hannah: She Chalks Before Every Shot (Pic/Vid1/Vid2)

Old
  (#27)
DonFelix
AzB Silver Member
DonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to DonFelix  
06-20-2009, 12:09 AM

danny diliberto states in the commentary of the shannon - corey match of the 2007 us open, that he beat the miz 500:90 playing 14.1 in florida for $500 or $5000. he didnt say when this happened.

Old
  (#28)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member
bchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2009, 05:31 AM

I once watched him play a match in Huntsville, Allabama against Johnny Tona. Mizerak finished the match with a score of minus 1 after only one inning at the table. Johnny had over a 100 ball run. This was around 1986.

Old
  (#29)
gpeezy
for sale!
gpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond reputegpeezy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

12-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchilton View Post
I once watched him play a match in Huntsville, Allabama against Johnny Tona. Mizerak finished the match with a score of minus 1 after only one inning at the table. Johnny had over a 100 ball run. This was around 1986.
Tona is a nice guy. I haven't seen him in some time. He was having a few health problems last I asked.

Old
  (#30)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member
bchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeezy View Post
Tona is a nice guy. I haven't seen him in some time. He was having a few health problems last I asked.
I haven't seen Johnny in at least 15 years and he was close to 70 back then. I'm surprized that he is still with us.

Johnny was a brilliant straight pool player back then. I played with him more than a few times.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: