The PPBPAA -- the players strike again

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Under the heading of the more things change, the more they stay the same, here is an item I noticed in Ursitti's records of pro pool. Anyone want to guess what year this was?

CropperCapture[70].jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1940, just an educated {or uneducated} guess. Bennie Allen had just become the first US snooker champion, otherwise, I don't understand him as president, since his hey day was 35 years or more earlier. Ok 1936 . I was thinking about that time for some reason I can't remember and then figured it was because of Benny Allens win. Oh wait now I remember that was the year Jack Doyle got busted for gambling and closed his room. Thats why I changed my mind , I should have known that wouldn't be a factor.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This should help. This was in Ursitti's record just before the part above and about the same tournament....

CropperCapture[113].jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This should help. This was in Ursitti's record just before the part above and about the same tournament....

View attachment 558963

Ok 1936 . I was thinking about that time for some reason I can't remember and then figured it was because of Benny Allens win. Oh wait now I remember that was the year Jack Doyle got busted for gambling and closed his room. Thats why I changed my mind I didn't think he would be an honorary with that stigma, I should have known that wouldn't be a factor. ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok 1936 . I was thinking about that time for some reason I can't remember and then figured it was because of Benny Allens win. Oh wait now I remember that was the year Jack Doyle got busted for gambling and closed his room. Thats why I changed my mind I didn't think he would be an honorary with that stigma, I should have known that wouldn't be a factor. ?
This may help with the previous clue:

CropperCapture[144].jpg

Thats from R.A. Dyer's Untold Stories blog:

http://untoldstoriesbilliardshistory.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, Dyer seems to have slowed down on his posts lately. Lots of good stuff there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In case anyone is interested, I found an archive of all of Charlie's records here:

https://www.scribd.com/user/10247027/Deno-J-Andrews

The wayback machine of Charlie's website is missing a few sets.

When I looked on the wayback machine I could not find any files, just links pointing at a different scribd account which was closed. Did you find any of the scans of Billiard Magazine (1913-1935)?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
When I looked on the wayback machine I could not find any files, just links pointing at a different scribd account which was closed. Did you find any of the scans of Billiard Magazine (1913-1935)?

Bob--I did not locate the Billiard Magazine PDFs anywhere on the internet archive or elsewhere. I'm betting they exceeded the maximize file size for scraping. I emailed Deno to see if he still had them and did not receive a response yet. I'll continue to ping him (looks like he's some sort of city councilman in Chicago now).